Northern Model Exhibition 2013

Hi all, just making sure everyone is aware that the Northern Model Exhibition will be held again the beginning of March 2013.. but only for a weekend this time and not a Friday also. I'd hope everyone can make it to visit, there's going to be more stands and more space to show off! And I'm hearing the LMA might have enough space to taxi 'round a jet vulcan, and other stuff of course. Last year was a total 'blast' apart from some minor hiccups... resulting in which I've been made persona non grata ! That's correct, I've been official banned from my clubs stand, if we get one. As it stands whilst writing this, my club as not also been allowed to exhibit even though we probably contributed the most to last years event.

Edited By Robert Tomlin on 07/12/2012 19:42:19

Advert

The venue is EventCity, at Trafford Park in Manchester.

The location is excellent, just off the M60 motoerway and across the road from the Trafford Centre retail park meaning that you can make a family day of this with the 'beloved'!!!

I'm sure there were conversations on here last year about the event, seem to remember there was an issue with over zealos security staff, not a good reason to remember it but that's what sticks in my mind ....

I live just 15 minutes from the venue bad wont be able to attend becasue the first weekend in March is booked for something else, I'll be 150 miles from home that weekened ...

Edited By avtur on 08/12/2012 10:36:47

I had seen the event posted on the web site for the venue. I had not registered that the number of days had been curtailed.

I thought it was a good beginning, hoping for far more this year.

Although there were a number of trade stands, there was not a single aeromodeilling stand as I remember the event. Most being engineering orientated. We have a number of businesses such as Overlander in the North west, who i had hoped would want to attend and be given the opportunity. Not withstanding retailers such as Webbies.

I had also hoped for more club presence.

In addition, just modelling exhibits, that were themed, rather than club orientated.

The big stuff is impressive, although the space allocated to them is also proportionably large. Most of us are not at that end of the spectrum. Perhaps smaller space, for even greater visual impact. Then more clubs could be accommodated in a similar area.

The fling sessions by the BMFA could be organised to have a more continuos, demonstration type approach. Something along the lines of a few electric pylon races spread through the day. A few aerobatic indoor types to music. Perhaps an electric CL? Even some competitions, Scale models, the sky is the limit.

A good start, i am hoping for much more.

One sour note, at present I am getting over pneumonia, at present I am paranoid about clean air. Th fumes were not appreciated from the running of model jet engines indoors, without suitable ventilation. I can imagine with no real imagination, there will be some who suffer from permanent respiratory issues who health could be compromised. A real H&S issue, rather than some of the idiotic ones I read about relative to general model flying. Perhaps the big jets could be taxied out of doors?

Hi

Just to confirm that Tyldesley MFC will be putting on a stand again,as we did for the last show.The club's with a presence at the last show were ourselves,Bury and Barton Control Line.The BMFA had a stand,with the LMA also putting on a good show.We were,as a club,very pleased with the feedback from the paying public,and from the show organisers and thought it was definitely an event worth supporting again.

So get yourselves down to the show,and we'll be pleased to meet you.

Colin

I agree there were some good models, I was impressed by the Gilmore and Ju87 which I think were on your stand.

The Barton Club also had some impressive models.

Yet I know there are many more aero models and clubs in the northwest and many traders relevant to aeromodellers.

The show was good last year, I am just hoping that it can be built on and be even better.

Edited By Erfolg on 08/12/2012 17:27:18

Take a bit of an issue with the "contibuted most to.the event" statement we contributed just as much (TMFC) and the bmfa did not really organize any indoor flying, there were no pilots so anyone was roped in and asked to fly any aircraft lying around, so would like bmfa to try a bit more and would love more clubs there

Lee

From what I have read, a lot of people did a lot at short notice to put on a good aeromodelling theme. I had the impression without all of your efforts, all the clubs, the BMFA, the event would have been essentially, model engineering, train sets, and model boats. You all contributed a lot and desevre our congratulations.

I hope that all of the aeromodelling groups can do even better, by cooperating together and possibly putting to the organisers a planned exhibit strategy, that they cannot resist. I learnt in my last years of working, if you want outside groups do what you want, you supply the answer, and means, in such a way that they cannot believe how brilliant they are. All their own work and ideas,to!

Posted by Erfolg on 08/12/2012 17:26:12:

Colin

I agree there were some good models, I was impressed by the Gilmore and Ju87 which I think were on your stand.

Edited By Erfolg on 08/12/2012 17:27:18

Erfolg, those models you mentioned were on Bury Metro Model Flying Clubs stand and not TMFC's. The Gilmore was an ARTF and the Ju87 was scratch-built. Unfortunately at the moment BMMFC have not been allowed to exhibit again.

Well, I stand corrected.smiley

Yet there is a lesson with respect to the Gilmore. The standard of build and finish surpasses my own.

As to which club did what, does it matter? All did very well.

I do not like the idea that not all clubs are welcome, it reflects badly on the organisers, probably more than the clubs. Perhaps all the clubs need to present a united front, possibly via the BMFA. To establish what the clubs bring to the event, what is allowed and restrictions. Also what the organisers are going to provide, when, how grievances will be handled, by whom etc.

It is a fact both parties need each other and we the public want an exhibition.

The event is billed as

Northern Modelling Exhibition

therefore it is a multi discpline event ... obviously anyone here is looking from an aeromodellers perspective, our hobby is just one very many that might be represented.

I know this is stating the 'obvious' but we are currently living in very harsh economic times, as such I would applaud anyone from our aero modelling discipline who decides to attend this event, clubs or retailers, the chances of anyone breaking even never mind 'turning a profit' is very slim indeeed.

Any clubs who attend will rely 100% on the volunteer efforts of their members, they will give their time for the overall good of the hobby, I take my hat off to all club members who help support this event.

I doubt very much that any retailer attending will do any better than break even, they will probably attend in the hope that future business will generate a pay off, not a guarantee, and again I have the greatest of respect for any business who decides to attend, they know full well they will incur costs but have no idea if the business generated will cover the cost.

I am really concerned that any club should not be 'allowed to attend' obviously there is something going on behind the scenes, all I would say is that it is a loss to the visitors who will attend.

As I said in my first post I am not able to attend because the first weekend in March is always 'ear marked' for another interest, however I would like to offer my best wishes to the event and all who attend.

Edited By avtur on 09/12/2012 16:59:52

Edited By avtur on 09/12/2012 17:01:29

I had heard there was to be a pool this year for the boats to show off, and with the BMFA indoor flying area and the trucks on their setup, and the LMA hoping for even more space to allow their models to taxied and not just their engines started-up... sounds like it was going to be a more interactive event and not just a 'show and tell'. Shame that a very large scratch built ic powered Picairn PCA-2 autogyro wont be shown !

Hey Lee... in a word, "no" ! There was some communication between the organizers and my clubs chairman, and in fact they were refusing to take his calls at one point. Seems it maybe down to a couple of things that's made myself and the club not welcome.. the flying of a small indoor heli at last years event and the comments made on this forum after the last event. Does seem a little petty. The last I heard was there will be a discussion at the organizers to see if my club will be allowed but on condition I don't be part of the clubs staff manning the stand.

That seems raqther self defeating of the organisers, my father came down from Scotland to spend the weekend and attend the show, and we had a really good day, picking up a few 'model engineering' bits and some odds and ends.

I have to say it was great to meet some of the guys, and I'd love to do it again, but if this is the attitude of the organisers I feel it will be a 'no-show' from me!!

Olly

I do not know what you saw. When I attended, there were very few children. Perhaps there were many more on Saturday? Would a building session worjk very well. Perhaps worth a try.

The events was attended by old geezers as far as I could see. Me being one of them.

I do remember that the BMFA was criticised for giving almost equally billing to light weight rubber indoor models etc, with RC. In this case i respect the BMFA stance, in that it represents a wide spectrum of aeromodelling. I would urge making greater use of the flying area. Last year was the first, I am sure that they can build on the flying sessions, to demonstrate a number of indoor model types.

I am still hoping for the best.

With respect to the Bury club and some others. The discord reflects poorly on the organisers, in not having a pre declared code of practise and a process for rapidly dealing with unexpected arising.

The incident with respect to indoor model helicopter seems out of proportion. The safety issue is not real, how many have gone with their grandchildren to department stores, such as Hamlys, where these devices are flown regularly in crowded spaces. I suspect the issue was more of how the organisers and club members reacted to a trivial event, than the issue itself.

If the BMFA were to act as an interface between club and organisers, it would benefit the organisers and clubs, in there being a single interface. This interface could negotiate spaces and locations for clubs. The model types, (themes) to be present at the differing tables, ensure that both parties knew what was expected. When unexpected things happen, provide a means of resolving the issue. Above all, it reduces the work load for the organiser, having a professional organiser facilitating the planning and running of the event. For the BMFA, it has to be a prime means of furthering the aims of aeromodelling, although involving work.

If the BMFA needs volunteers for the event, I would volunteer, particularly to advance aeromodelling.

It is great pity if your club is indeed banned Robert, and if the reason is the misunderstanding you were involved in last year and the fact that you raised that - alongside praise for the event - on here. That would not, in my opinion, be a constructive attitude on behalf of the organisers - who going by not just your comments but others I have heard - do seem to have got themselves involved with a particularly "heavy handed" venue/event management outfit.

The fact is, as has been stated, when clubs support this type of event they bring a great deal of "value added" at no cost to the organisers and considerable personal cost (in time and committment) from the club members. If what you say is true then I too will not be planning a visit to this event.

BEB

Ok, firstly may i say the more clubs the better at this event, so i would love to see bury there again, but there was a few issues, and i will try to summerize as best i can, obviously the flying of a small heli was one thing, yes they over-reacted a tad, but then did you on this forum, there was an indoor flying area that was properly netted off, what is the point of them doing this and then just allowing everyone to fly where they wanted, the security staff were openly berrated on this forum, but lets try to put some perspective on this, the guys were there to make sure your stuff was not stolen, so if they were slightly over officious, then this to my mind was justified to make sure no-one walked off with bits of my model. dispite Burys assertions, all clubs were emailed with strict proceedures for removing anything from the venue, yes this was very strict but if adheard to with plenty of communications with the venue staff all was well.

i know you might not like to hear this Rob, but if you recieved this email (which i am assured you did) but then did not follow the strict process, but instead then tried to do your own thing, then i am afraid that your club has to take a good deal of blame on this, the attitude of one or two of your lads was not great either (from what i was told by the management of the venue, one of the BMMFC lads was swearing at the security) when things went a bit wrong.

i can only say how i found things, i had to deal a lot with the management and whilst some proceedures were a bit odd, and seemed over officious, with a lot of communication and smiles all was well, we never had a single problem that could not be sorted in advance with some discussion.

i really hope they allow you back to display Rob, i am sure if you talk to them and agree to thier requirements all will be well.

i do think comming on here and slating them did not help either!!

sorry bud but i have to be honest and give my opinion, please do not take it personal like !!

Hey Lee,

No worries, I stopped taking anything personal a long time ago!

The 'altercation' you mentioned was indeed with a BMMFC member, but he was there not as part of the club but as part of the LMA, and his arguments were with issues related to fellow LMA members and their models. He can not respond to any comments on this forum because he was banned from it a few months ago.. for other matters !

With respect to emails from the organiser, I think the problem stems from we were taking models into the venue on the Saturday and not the start of the event on Friday., and as such the procedures weren't in place to issue late additions for display and also for early removing of the models.

To be honest, I think it's time to move on and concentrate on this years event. I really hope Bury Metro will not be excluded for the 'wrong reasons' and certainly the BMFA and LMA should take more interest in altercations of this sort, and in the events organisation.

yeah that certainly would help everyone if the BMFA got involved directly, that way the management would not have to deal and keep repeating themselves to each and every club, and we would have one point of contact, we shall see, the events approach was quite inflexable but i suppose if their approach was too flexible, then that would lead to abuse and theft, its a fine balancing act i suppose, anyway i really hope you lot are there this year, the more model flyers the better !!!