Seagull Sea Fury, 2 stroke a crime?

stuey

Hi chaps, after an opinion. I am trying to come up with a Xmas pressie from my wife (a contribution at least!!) and I am pondering a Seagull Sea Fury or the Hangar 9 P-47. The Sea Fury is my preference, but totting up whats needed is pushing it a bit. The first being the engine. I know a 4 stroke would be better, but I have read that a .91 may not be man enough, and as far as the better value ones go you have a choice of that or a .120 at a fair bit more. I could get a .91 2 stroke with an in cowl silencer for less than the .91fs, but is that sacrelidge? My 2 Kyosho 50 sized models have 4 strokes, so I can make a comparison. After all a lot of bigger warbirds fly with 2 stroke petrols, they dont sound like a 4 stroke do they?

The other thing I was pondering was does it really need flaps? That could save 2 servos, and I see no reason why the elevator could not be done with 1 servo of suitable torque instead of two. That would also save a bit of weight and therefore wing loading.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Advert

Sorry, I have never understood the assertion that somehow four stoke motors are more 'scale' I've used three or four but currently own none. Even my Puppeteer has a two stroke, large prop & good silencer, sounds every bit as good and to me, far less expense and hassle.

Have to agree with previous post, soemthing like a zenoah 20, plenty of power, easy starting and clean CLEAN!!

stu k

Thanks for the feedback chaps. To me a real sea fury has a slightly higher pitch sound to a merlin, so I dont think a 2 stroke is that far away. I am an electric/IC man so I'm not against the idea of that choice.

Danny, do you think the flaps are essential?

LOL its a cracker of an aircraft, and when i got mine Leeds Model Shop was doing them for £99 so a real bargain.

Will this tempt you???

This was a very early flight before i got used to it, and nearly lost it by relaxing the up elevator on takeoff. The piano wire rods for the retracts also needed doubling up as it flexed and failed to lock the wheels up.
Cheers
Danny

If you were to opt for the Hangar 9 P-47, it uses a single elevator servo and doesn't have, or need, flaps. Mine has more than enough power on the OS .91FS that cost me £80 second-hand, and it has quickly become a favourite. I intend to go petrol for my next warbird, given the prices now, but wouldn't rule out a 2-stroke. Do whatever you need to get it into the air!

I eventually decided today and ordered a Sea Fury. This was helped by the fact that the P-47 is out of stock where I tried! Not decided on the engine front yet, and I am hoping to incorporate a few mods to add a bit more scale detail such as possibly shortening the cowl a bit. Thanks for the posts so far smiley

Stuey, you have made a good choice. I cut a big chunk off the rear of the cowl off and slid it back to shorten the nose just as you are planning. The cowl is parallel so its quite a simple task. However if you are going ic you may need to add weight up front. With electric it wasn't an issue as the cells are right up the front wink 2

Cheers

Danny

How much did you guys shorten the cowl by? Would not be that hard to strap the engine on and see how the balance is affected before commiting to any cuts. Any other worthwhile mods that are not too taxing? The fin should have a radius where it joins the fuselage for a start.

I don't think you could ever say the 18 cylinder sleeve valve Centaurus ever sounded anything like a Merlin which was noted for the 'crackle' in its exhaust note due to its relatively aggressive valve timing.

The sleeve valve ports on the Centaurus closed relatively slowly so the note was much deeper and a lot quieter, most of the noise coming from the prop.

Unless you go for a big multi cylinder, electric is probably nearer the mark!

Hi Stuey, I have just waded through the old thread and it seems Chris and I took three inches off the cowl. But I had to up the motor size for propping reasons which helped with the c of g, CS I know you love your ICs but the significant mass of an ic engine is inches back from the the prop backplate, where as an electric motors mass is right at the back of the spinner. You do have to bear this in mind when shortening a models nose. I shortened a Pupeteer by about 4" and you couldn't have done that with an ic without lead and mounting the cylinder inside the fus wink 2

Cheers

Danny