The February Grand Prize Draw

Count me in, please.

Don't think a Tiger ever attacked a battleship.  Tigers weren't normally carried on HM Ships, and no enemy battleship came near enough to be attacked by a shore-based Tiger.

But (as others have said) there was the D.H.82B Queen Bee radio-controlled target aircraft, which was essentially a version of the Tiger Moth with a basic structure of wood. It had the Moth Major fuselage, Tiger Moth wings and a Gipsy Major engine. The prototype was flown manually on 5 January 1935, and 380 were built subsequently.  It was certainly used in training anti-aircraft gunners on battleships.

19 Tiger Moths were converted by Jackaroo Aircraft Ltd to a 4-seat  version, with two side-by-side pairs of seats.  R5130 (the one shown on the box) was one of these, becoming G-APOV.   She crashed at Staplehurst on 3 July 1961.

Advert

Hi David

Tiger Moth has always been a great favourite of mine ever since i was a Kid and Dad used to tell me tales of doing his basic training in one before being sent off to Canada to progress onto harvards then jet training in T33's

He and I are both building them - his from a built up kit and mine from an old plan - be much quicker if i could win this

Good to meet up down at Old Hay this afternoon BTW