A MUST for all balsa bashers!

Jeff-C

I was in ikea in Bristol today, and down by the clearance section thu were selling Kimberly Clark surgical masks for £1. There is 50 in a box! Perfect for keeping the dust out of your lungs when working on a traditional build.

I am guessing by the way that all ikea layouts are the same, so have a look at the clearance section near the checkouts.

It's a good price but please be aware that surgical masks don't protect you much they've even shown that in a surgical situation after about half an hour they stop working due to moisture from the breath. Better than nothing but not as good as a "proper" particulate mask with cartriages.

I suppose you can't say fairer then that with regards to particle filter, but you must be really sanding like a good'n to be sanding balsa for that long?!

PatMc - A good mask that creates a seal around the nose and mouth is what you need. The reason you steam up is escaping air being directed up towards your specs. If you have a proper particle mask used by sprayer and loft insulation fitters, then that will create an airtight seal and should stop it completely.

Ive found this JSP mask to be superb, even my father tried it (he where spectacles) and thought it was superb **LINK** for the price it is a bargain but only if youre sanding balsa for a long time, like over an hour, i do this whilst shaping model boat hulls, its been great although can get a tad humid after an hour, theres other JSP masks to which are great for 30min jobs

I too had a great bargain from Ikea (Bristol). It always pays to have a look around in their bargain corner as on this occassion my wife, yes, my wife, pointed out this small table top still in it's wrapping and said "Would this be okay as a building board" love her. It measures roughly 4'x2'x1&1/4" and was marked up at £5, tabletop only, no legs. It's light for its size and makes for a great solid, level surface to build on.

Posted by Bob Merrett on 20/12/2012 09:30:43:

I too had a great bargain from Ikea (Bristol). It always pays to have a look around in their bargain corner as on this occassion my wife, yes, my wife, pointed out this small table top still in it's wrapping and said "Would this be okay as a building board" love her. It measures roughly 4'x2'x1&1/4" and was marked up at £5, tabletop only, no legs. It's light for its size and makes for a great solid, level surface to build on.

If you go into the back side part of bargain corner, they have loads of decent off cut kitchen worktops. Also on the bottom floor in the car park near the entrance, they often have large sheets of MDF/ply/etc that are offcuts/ex-transport packing. I would imagine that other stores apart from the Bristol one have this too.

Of course not forgetting the bargain hotdog/ice cream just after the tills wink 2

Si.