The Big Plane Option

cymaz

Advert

Bruce Tharpe makes some very nice kits. Always a bit of a backlog with filling orders, but his kits are superb and require no fettling to put together. Of course, Bruce designes the 4 star 40 whilst working at SIG and the Venture 60 is his updated version.

The Superflying king is a really stable aircraft, not impressively aerobatic, but with a petrol engine fitted will fly around sedately for ages. Also makes great camera platforms and glider tugs.

My flying buddy in the US, Larry Kruse, built a Venture 60. Larry has design a large number of aircraft himself and is a noted (in the US) free flight pilot and author for Flying Models magazine in the US. He was very impressed with Bruce's kits.

Chris

Will cost a fortune, though. If for example you get a model for $500, it will be over £500 (don't ask me how - but it is!), then add import duty, VAT and other costs, which will put it nearer the £1000 mark. I bought some Sonic Tronics stuff from USA, great items, but after $150, I had to pay £70+ extra charges...

The Venture 60 is $170, what's that, about £110? Say $50 carriage, that's £30ish so call it £140 + the post office and HMRC's thievery will be around £39 (£27.21 VAT + something like £12 handling charge) - a total of around £180 including delivery.

I'm not sure how you worked it out Paul, but this is in line with the sort of prices I've paid by buying direct from the USA on more than one occassion.

As for the original post, I find that I fly the larger models further out and as they cover more sky my reactions can keep up with them better.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 26/12/2012 10:43:55:

Will cost a fortune, though. If for example you get a model for $500, it will be over £500 (don't ask me how - but it is!), then add import duty, VAT and other costs, which will put it nearer the £1000 mark. I bought some Sonic Tronics stuff from USA, great items, but after $150, I had to pay £70+ extra charges...

I dont think this is right at all using an online import duty calculator a $500 item with a shipping cost of $100 will cost £445.30 plus the added courior fee of about £30

a good rule of thumb is if you imort an item yourself from the states the price in dollars is about what it will cost you in pounds to get it to your door

ie a $500 kit plus shipping plus VAT plus fees = £500 just over $800

Edited By Phil B on 26/12/2012 13:43:57

Don't like it, though, has missing windows. Looks like a cartoon scale J3 Cub, compared to mine...

This has now got decals fitted, not photo'd it yet.

144" 54cc 4S 4cylinder engine. Balsa USA Kit.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 27/12/2012 17:35:20

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 27/12/2012 18:14:07

very nice Paul and lovely engine. I seem to be building lots of Balsa USA and SIG kits recently.

Lovely engine by the way, did i already say that. Bet it sound very nice too.

I agree the nitroplanes cub just looks silly, probably a large CMP one. The 120 sized cub at HobbyKing is much better and would be nice on a 20 to 26cc petrol and still a fairly large model.