Look after your health

Erfolg

I have written in passing that I have a bout of ill health.

What has surprised me is some of the things said to me, as a mere man.

About 6 weeks back now I had a cold, at the time I thought, about 7 days from now I will be OK. Two weeks later I felt terrible, finding any exertion, would leave panting. But as a man i tried to soldier on. My eldest daughter, who became aware of my condition, forced me, via my wife to see a doctor (the daughter being a doctor herself).

At the doctors, I was diagnosed with Pneumonia. Given a packet of penicillin type pills, an inhaler and told to return in a week.

On my return, I was given another packet of penicillin tablets, and told, I did not need to return unless necessary.

By this time i was feeling a lot better.

After a fortnight and attending a "Voice show" at the BBC, going out shopping. Once again the improvement seemed to have halted and I was feeling less than well.

On Christmas and Boxing day i stayed with my eldest daughter. Did my best to enjoy myself, but was not feeling great. Constantly coughing, tight chest.

My wife said, he must be well now, he is not trying or fighting to feel well.

Now the important bit for men. The son-in-law (also a consultant doctor) said the following. I see many men who have been told, men exaggerate there illnesses. The notion of man flu is the construct of comedians for cheap laughs, self interested woman's groups, it plays well, men just put up with many things that woman do not, all because of the concept of man-flu.

The long and short of it I was told I had to go back to the doctors. My wife said to my daughter, have you not got a stethoscope in the house. No was the reply, plus I cannot treat or interpret what I hear, he needs to see a doctor.

I have been back to the doctors, I find that the bacterial infection is still present. another batch of a different antibiotic has been prescribed, plus a treatment of steroids, in addition to the inhaler. i have also had an X ray and due to return to the doctors in a weeks time.

As one who has not been to the doctors in over 20 years, I was reluctant to go. I think this is tue for  many men. Do not listen to those who tell you, it is only a man cold. I was aright after a week, I just got on with it, women always do.

I put with coughing that left my ribs and chest in great pain, in conjunction with other symptoms.

I have not flown in many weeks, just one brief trip into the park, with little interest, in my flying. You need to take care of yourself, as others may think you are play acting.

So what was going to be a 7 day illness, to date has lasted 7 weeks, now heading into 8 weeks. All because I did not treat my symptoms seriously, listened to those who said, you just keep going. More importantly I did not seek early help from either a doctor or other medical person.

Edited By Erfolg on 28/12/2012 14:12:10

Advert

Entirely simpathise.

Far from wanting to frighten you but just as a factual extension to what you were saying, I stopped myself working because of a bad cold (I was a long-distance taxi driver) in February 2009. The cold became flu, the flu became pneumonia, that agravated the incipient angina and several years and operations later I am medically unfit to ever go back to my business and my wife is my official carer!

Best of luck Erfolg and look after yourself. Flying may be the best therapy, but only in the sunshine!

smiley Happy New Year, Peter.

It just seems nobody takes mens health seriously. Even less ourselves, as we are constantly berated by the media, with respect to "Man Flu".

If my daughter had not said, "I would expect a recovering pneumonia patient to be in a vastly improved condition after 6 weeks", to both my wife and myself. Without this statement, i would have still tried to soldier on. Conditioning seems to become ingrained.

I have been a keen cyclist for many years and my Dr says that I inspired him to take up the sport. He started training earlier this year and has lost a load of weight and recently cycled a charity event covering 100 miles. I have always been reluctant/embarressed to go to see my GP thinking I was just wasting his time, but, I now feel more relaxed knowing we have something in common to talk about when I have finished bending his ear about my ailments, silly isn't it.

Get well soon,

Nev.

Edited By Racing Snake on 28/12/2012 16:02:22

We probably have more in common than you may suspect.

At one time I was a keen cyclist, each weekend going on a club run. The distances were always in the 70 miles region. I did the hundred miles in, what ever it was,I forget now. Doing the club time trials. Riding the Manchester Velodrome. I bet I would not get on the track now, as the youngsters fight for the opportunities.

What stopped me cycling was that my wife became aware that a number of cyclists were killed (in a short period of time) on a short section of a road I used to cycle to work. I preferred to cycle than drive, I was not much slower than the car anyway. By car approx 20 miles, by bike 11 miles. Then I was transferred to another company site, where the distances to work were far to big.

Now I am old, and now I can see the dangers from bad driving, inappropriate road narrowing (as part of traffic calming), drivers will not wait for a cyclist to get through, so much for calming.

Sadly too many cyclists die on our roads. I'm happy to share the roads with everyone but motorist must accept I have as much right to be on the roads as themselves, I'm a car drive and as such pay road tax. There is a stubborness by some motorists to allow us sufficient space and time and with the roads being as poor as they are just makes matters worse. I refuse to be forced off the roads by the minority but find myself balancing up the risks verses well being all to offen.

I know that not everyone who rides a push bike abides by the rules (that doesn't help the situation) but generally those who take the sport seriously would appear to understand and see from experience the hazzards more clearly and as such give the roads and those that use them more consideration, it's in our best interest, but still we get abuse, injured or killed. Not acceptable.

rant over.

Nev.

I cycle too, not long distance but 8-12 miles 3 times a week. It's a nice way of escaping the computer and far more interesting than the gym, I find it's best to choose the right time (after and before the school runs) then the country lanes are notably emptier although, needless to say, it only takes one car....I'll get out of a car's way if it's obvious he's in a hurry and not in the mood for taking prisoners - better to be humble and in one piece than to be proud and damaged.

It's a good message Erf, it's important to listen to your body as you get older and things can crop up in the 40s and 50s that are better nailing quickly rather than let them have a longer lasting effect. I've never been bothered about troubling the doctor - I figure I've paid in enough over the last 34 years of full time work so I'm down the surgery like a shot if I ever suspect trouble. It's no bad thing to know your doctor, the surgery and how the system works too.

Erfolg, I wish you the best for a speedy recovery, without your health you have nothing. I know how you feel you should be able to carry on, after all you are a man. Don't the stats say that women are twice as likely to see a Doctor than a man is?

Here's my sorry story... I had Chicken pox a few years ago (I was 40) that led to cellulitis (or possibly shingles, I'm not a medic) for which I had antibiotics. I then had an allergic reaction to the antibiotics and an all over body rash as a result, which needed different antibiotics. I was off work for possibly 6 weeks but the point is I got incredulous responses from my employers who thought I was on a massive skive. I think my wife took in photos in the end. In their eyes it was Man-flu and I should have struggled in. In the end it was about 6 months before I was really right again.

When it comes to bikes, cyclists are not the only ones to suffer, I have a son and my daughter's boyfriend who are both on a 50cc scooters, they are always saying how they are nearly getting hacked off the road by impatient motorists. I have promised to go out with them on my bike (650 Aprilia) so I can chase the offending motorists and point out the error of their ways. It'll probably never happen but it's nice to dream .

S.

Dear Erfolg,I believe you're right..but I don't like doctors,it's dates from my youth ,because they are, always, something forbid....and, as I get older,I'm in dilemma for most of their diagnosis.To make situation worse,wife's stepfather was a former doctor (general practice),He set up the correct diagnosis about my illnest(viral pneumonia) ,two years ago.I spent 40 days in bed,with all necessary medication,but the faith,in the medical doktors,did not return.face 11

To You and family lots of good health and all the best... face 1

Joe