Concorde news

Hello all,

The 40% Heathrow roundabout Concorde model now sits at the Brooklands museum. She sat at the entrance to Heathrow for about 20 years, as an advertusement for BA. But she was replaced by an Emirates A380 model sadly (at a British airport?!). Here she is at Heathrow...

And now she sits at the entrance to Brooklands where Concorde G-BBDG also rests.

Mayor of Elmbridge councillor Janet Turner and helped to officially unveil the model.

For me really this represents the true end of an era, unless a Concorde flies again in the future. Who knows.

CS

Advert

I agree that G - BOAC has been treated in a fitting manner and is a great commercial success at Manchester Airport. A great tribute to a great aircraft.

However, the same cannot be said for G - BOAB which remains at Heathrow and for several years just remained parked up along side one of the taxi ways near to the engineering hangars.

As far as I know, it has now been moved but still remains outside. This airframe has probably been totally neglected and will eventually be declared as being 'beyond economic repair' and then just scrapped. I think BA should be treating this aircraft with the respect she deserves.

I hope I am totally wrong, but does anyone have any update on this aircraft and its future prospects.

John.

Superb video, thanks!

G-BOAB is still outside, there are some pictures here. On the exterior it looks as if she may have been cleaned, maybe when BA used her in 2011 for their advert, but the interior is awful, since they put loads of old BA flight magazines for balance which was stupid since it has ruined the aircraft. There were plans for AB to go to Dubai, but that never happened. Many proposals of her going to sit next to the London Eye have been made too. I think she should join AF at Filton or if she has to be scrapped (hopefully not) then to provide spare parts for AC to fly! Wouldn't that be great...

CS

Thank you for that CS.

I seem to remember that 'OB was going to be incorperated into T5. That to is obviously not going to happen either!! She would have looked great in T5. A great reminder to the travelling public of our dominance in air travel.

As much as I'd love to see a Concorde flying again, I can't actually see it happening. Just look at what has happened to Vulcan 558. It costs approx £2M + per annum to keep her in the air, and every year it just about makes it. I think a Concorde would cost alot more to maintain and fly.

£2M per annum is quite a small amount in the big scheme of things but relying on public donations year after year could probably not be sustained. Now, if it had been an American aircraft, I think it would have been treated alot differently. American Corporations would have, in all probability, given tremendous support both financially and technically.

Of course, I'm only guessing here, but it does seem a great shame that such an iconic aircraft should just be left to decay.

John.

Foxy will be put undercover fairly soon in a new museum, British Aerospace donated about £2 million for the museum to be built. G-BOAG is also outside in Seattle, as is G-BOAD in New York.

As for return to flight, it would be very very very difficult and tremendously expensive, but it is still possible so you never know!

CS

I went round Alpha Charlie before she went indoors and is certainly in wonderful condition internally. Those beautiful Connolly hide light weight seats installed after the last refit (to compensate for the new fuel tank lining) still look brand new and make an interesting comparison to the cockpit which would best be described as 'well used' - the interior refit definitely stopped at the cockpit door.

I hope that you'll all be pleased to hear that G-BOAB is being painted in BA's paint shop, either right now or in the very near future. After painting, it's going to be positioned on a purpose-built area close to the threshold of runway 27L, where the old 'BEA' canteen used to be, so visible to arriving and departing passengers.

Josip, yes I agree!

Simon, yes correct. But BA did make a profit with Concorde right up to retirement, because of the higher fares (in fact BA wanted to carry on after 2003 but they could not without the engneering support from Airbus).

Gordon, that is great to hear that she is being put to some use and we can see her! Where did you fid this out may I ask?

CS