The Saito thread!

Concorde Speedbird

Well we have a Laser thread, so I thought I'd kick off a Saito one too! On another forum there is such a thread, which has about 950 pages and over 23,600 posts! They are superb engines!

Our 45s is performing beautifully in our Wot 4 e (but not e!). We also have a 62a which has bench run brilliantly, and Grandad has a 45 and 56- both run brilliantly! Reliable, tremendous power to weight ratio, and our old 45 has survived the test of time brilliantly. And they look fantastic!

Who else loves Saitos?

CS

Saito FA62A

Advert

I have just purchased a Saito 100FA from a club mate.It is my fourth four stroke and really does look and sound beautiful.

Its going into a Hangar 9 Hellcat, what size prob do you people recommend? two and three bladed.

Also I want to fit a dome prop nut that is starter friendly any Ideas / recommendations?

Edited By Justin K on 04/01/2013 20:30:54

I have successfully started engines without spinners by turning around the rubber piece in the starter. That gives a flat surface with a hole. The hole fits over the prop nut and the flat surface bears on the washer and the prop boss. This gives enough grip to start the engine OK. This works fine on my Saito 91 for instance, no spinner on a Fokker DVII.

Posted by John Olsen 1 on 04/01/2013 23:01:28:

I have successfully started engines without spinners by turning around the rubber piece in the starter. That gives a flat surface with a hole. The hole fits over the prop nut and the flat surface bears on the washer and the prop boss. This gives enough grip to start the engine OK. This works fine on my Saito 91 for instance, no spinner on a Fokker DVII.

Same here, we've done that a lot.

CS

We flew the Wot 4 with the Saito 45s on a 12x5 prop today... and it was amazing! It sounded absolutely brilliant. It made an almost whining sound on a fast full throttle pass, almost like a full size when the tips go supersonic- it was fantastic! May have been propellor noise or induction, we don't really know- it just sounds great, turn away and you would have thought it was an air racer. Brilliant!

CS

Saito 45s

Edited By ConcordeSpeedbird on 12/01/2013 22:09:47

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Justin K on 04/01/2013 20:26:25:

I have just purchased a Saito 100FA from a club mate.It is my fourth four stroke and really does look and sound beautiful.

Its going into a Hangar 9 Hellcat, what size prob do you people recommend? two and three bladed.

Sorry for late reply, this site is good for prop size and lots of other stuff (14x8 15x6 for your 100) but I don't know about 3 bladed.

Right then, my brand new Saito FA40a has arrived, and it really is 30 sized! Lovely box, and an absolute gem of an engine, truly beautiful and top quality. You know the person who built it cared! And also, it is very light. At 300 grams, it weighs practically the same as an SC25 two stroke. It will be going on a Pegasus models Jester biplane. It is my first brand new engine, so I'll let you know how I get on as I go.

CS

CS

Posted by Martin U on 25/01/2013 23:31:42:

I've just acquired a Saito 85 brand spankers, it is an engineering thing of beauty. Nearly sorted the bench setup to run her in.

other than following the manual any tips please? enlightened

My best instruction would be to follow the manual! They like quite a bit of running in, so you are on the right track benching her. This site is good for other info.

My brand new FA-40a destined for a Jester biplane...mmmm

FA40a

That prop is only for flicking purposes (the most satisfying thing in the world!) and I'll probably use an 11x5. Really small and nice!

CS

I just seen some notice on Steve Webb Models website

If shown as ‘out of stock’, please back order – please do back order with us – as often we can get Saito stock within a few days (subject to supplier having stocks).So don’t despair if it’s shown ‘out of stock’, please contact us!

This looks like act of serious desperation to me, yet is quite funnywink.

Ok, so now tell me - Saito vs OS - which brand is better and why?? By the way - Saito radials look fantastic.

Cheers

Tom

Saitos vs OS. Well, they are both superb and it is purely down to which one you want! They both run reliably, great power from both and they will both last donkey's years! They sound different, some Saitos have better power to weight ratio, but really it is down to what the airframe needs. Alongside Laser, they are the 'big 3' in four strokes in my opinion! I prefer Saito to OS but I would be delighted to own an OS, as I am in the Domino. Nothing wrong with any of them!

CS

PS: Saito radials= Perfect for Stearmans! The video is not great for the sound, they are wonderful. Only if...

scan 130260001.jpgI have an old kit [Exitation Fun Fly a Pete Tindal model] that specifies a 0.9 - 1.8 Cu in with a 16 x 8 prop.

Would a Saito 56 be overpowered?

The target is 8 lbs [3630 Gm] with a 67" span with 8.14 Sq Ft wing area

I feel it would just up the fun component but would it just be OTT?

Sure I'll get some interesting views.cheeky

BTW considered electric but £300 of batteries [3] and £210 for powertrain ic seems much better as our field is in farmland with just sheep to listen!

Edited By Martin U on 26/01/2013 11:59:16

Posted by Martin U on 26/01/2013 11:55:13:

scan 130260001.jpgI have an old kit [Exitation Fun Fly a Pete Tindal model] that specifies a 0.9 - 1.8 Cu in with a 16 x 8 prop.

Would a Saito 56 be overpowered?

The target is 8 lbs [3630 Gm] with a 67" span with 8.14 Sq Ft wing area

I feel it would just up the fun component but would it just be OTT?

Sure I'll get some interesting views.cheeky

BTW considered electric but £300 of batteries [3] and £210 for powertrain ic seems much better as our field is in farmland with just sheep to listen!

Edited By Martin U on 26/01/2013 11:59:16

90 2 stroke minimum, 120 AX 2 stroke ideal, 160 Fx overpowered, I think a 125a saito would be a minimum as mine run best with a 16x6 prop. Saito 150/180 would be good......