Hubsan X4 Quadcopter - Calibration

Dave Bran

Well, my X4 arrived on Friday and to say I was disappointed with it was an understatement. Despite being well used to Quads I found it difficult to control even for simple flying around at slow speed, and impossible to pirouette without it drifting out randomly but mostly backwards on stopping, needing full forward stick and an agonising wait to get forward motion back (if you had the space). It would fly, but really poor control compared to the Twister Quad, even when rates wound up (setting rates/sensitivity is in manual). At this time I only had the one battery, so testing was very drawn out. I took it to an Indoor Fri night with much more space but it was no better there. :'(

A crash kit which includes a battery arrived Sat a.m. so I took it to an Indoor last night (Sat). No better........ Someone there asked what I thought and when I said it would not even pirouette properly he instantly said there was an undocumented calibration mode, and said what to do. We tried this and it did not work!! He then rang someone who works for Ripmax who confirmed what we were trying was the right thing to do, but several more tries, no good. Then a youngster turned up with one, asking as it was trying to drift the wrong way for stick moves. He'd not altered any settings from supply. His also would not end piros correctly.

The Calibration process worked first time on his and it then worked well. Tried mine again and no luck.

What we were being told to do (on Mode 2) was:-

Power up and allow to bind
Press down on left stick to operate switch under it and hold it on
Wriggle right stick left/right
"Eye" lights will flash and calibration done!!

Getting back home (late) I went hunting and found in US forums that others were calibrating it differently, viz:-

Power up and allow to bind.
Press and release right under stick switch to put it into "Expert" mode (says Expert in tiny letters on LCD and red LED flashes)
Hold full right rudder on left stick (care - no throttle as it is live)
While doing this wriggle right stick left/right
"Eye" lights will flash and calibration done!!

This worked on mine and it now flies MUCH better, piros being flat and ending in stable hover.

One wonders how many are getting returned to the poor shops, or just thrown in a cupboard as too difficult.................   Hope this helps some people.......................

Edited By Dave Bran on 06/01/2013 08:32:04

Advert

I'll not alter my post above, but my subsequent searching seems to indicate that the distributors are CML and not Ripmax as the person said to me last night, he certainly gave the impression it was a Ripmax handled product but maybe the Ripmax person had some dealings with that model at some point so knew............anyway, it's CML that list it on their website, and though I have looked and searched, cannot find any info there on calibration.

ALSO, further searching suggest that setting the accelerometers under calibration should take place with the trims zero'd. If that produces a quad that drifts in any direction, prop it up with paper, etc in a counter direction while calibrating and you'll end up with a Quad that is perfetly trimmed with trim controls at zero. Tried and yes that works, too!!

Posted by Gurth Scriven 2 on 06/01/2013 11:30:32:

So - I 'm getting a Q'copter - do you reckon I go for the Twister, rather than the Hubsan?

The Twister's a bit more money, but if I buy the cheaper alternative and hate it - - - - !

From my experience with owning both, and taking into account the sheer number of very happy Twister Quad pilots I know, you'd need very good reason to discount the Twister one!

Conversely, I don't think you'll hate the X4, especially if you calibrate it properly and have a very small flying space, my dining room isn't large, and with computer gear everywhere, space is a premium, yet the X4 will now fly circuits and eights with ease, wheras while the Twister also will, its a bit tight for it.

I'm told the smaller X4 will actually stand a greater breeze, can't comment yet!!

Good to hear!

Tues evening at an Indoor I gave several people a go, they all thought it was superb. One experienced guy lost orientation and slapped it into a wall about 20 foot up, it crashing to the hard gym floor rotor side down........no damage at all!!

I took it in to the after school club I run today, gave it to two relative beginner 12 year olds and a 6th former who helps me...........they all flew it well!

Just shows that if it is set up properly it's ace and most can fly it no trouble.

I should be on a cut here....................... !!!!!

• 3 months later...

Sorry if this is wrong to ask here, but i just got a x4 and done everything as manual said, but my controller only ever shows a battery indicator and the x4 just flases blue, if i press and hold a button on the controller it then will flash red but still wont control the x4

any ideas anyone?

Hi i just tried that .. nothing =[

il try explain a little bit better

when i switch my controller on all that happens is it shows i got full battery, no hubsan logo or anything else on the screen?

the lights on the x4 flash blue which means its not binding, controller does nothing unless i press and hold a button down ... in which case i get a red flashing light ... and then it will just keep doing that

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 08/05/2013 13:08:20:
I think mine has done this a few times. Try connecting the battery to the x4, put it down on a flat surface, wait a few seconds then swith the transmitter on with the throttle fully down.

Just tried that .. again nothing, all that shows up on the controller is the battery symbol i left the x4 on a flat surface connected the battery and then left it 15 seconds before i switched controller on .. nothing =[