Dick Dastardly

Advert

I understand your reluctance to hand launch, almost all of my flying is done over rough ground, so no under carriage and hand launch every time. That hand launch on a maidian is nappy potential! But does it feel good when she pulls away and flies. Every one is wiiling your plane to fly, no pressure!face 7

Yes, I meant angle of attack,not assembly of god!embarrassed

Thanks for all the comments it really is inspiring and IT WILL FLY how do I know......WELL..... an interesting development in the saga of DD&M........

TODAY I went to the club with DD&M and the new wheel to stop noseovers.

I lined it up and opened the throttle. My intention was to let it run until I had the speed to ease it into the air but Dastardly must have seen YD pigeon right above him and in true cartoon style he ran along the ground for about 5 metres and decided to go almost vertical... HOORAY it left the ground of his own accord.............BOO there isn't enough power to fly almost vertical and thus resulted in a stall, a wing drop and a truly scale landing according to if you ever saw the cartoon......Smash!

What happened really. It ran, The tail lifted and it sat on the mains plus the new skid wheel. It ran level for a short distance and then dived upwards about 3 or 4 metres and stalled by dropping its left wing. There wasn't enough speed to allow use of any of the controls and so it came back with a bang.

Damage report.... Vertical and both horizontal stabilisers completely snapped off. Wing bolt retaining nuts gave way which at least saved the wings (which came off) the main spar in the fin cracked and the covering had a few holes here and there. Also DD&M jumped free of the wreckage, but a bit of glue and they're back in

Repair report...... So far I have completely repaired the tail and repaired the wing retaining nuts. Just got to do a little re covering in the morning and its back to how it was, Oh I strengthened the tail where it snapped off.

What did I learn?..... well even after what happened I am actually more confident that it will fly. For starters it took off. Its obviously still far to tail heavy even though I thought it was ok. I am going to try again but next time I'm going to adjust the elevator to push the nose down when the sticks are centred. (advice and ideas on that appreciated) Then maybe itll be up to me when it leaves the ground.

All in all I imagined I was going to have days like this but it makes me even more determined to fly it now. UMM

Posted by Nev on 20/01/2013 20:05:49:
How about helium balloons on the tail, I think that was common practice for this type of fighter

It is IC isn't it. At least the initial piccy does show a fuel to noise converter. Can you not route the exhaust so as to warm air to provide lift using a hot air balloon.

Plummet

All these marvelous experiments should not be lost to history ,sad

It would be so good to have some photos or even better some video of these exploitsphoto ,how about it ?

even a mobile phone could record events if there was some one handy to point it ?(not sure how to put that on here tho ?) I,m sure some one will advise if needed

Ohh go on ..Pleeeeesecheeky

Noel

I get the impression that there may be a problem with the airflow over the tail such that there's very little tail authority at low speed and it comes in with a bang at the speed the aircraft decided to lift off. Might be something to do with the bulbous forepart of the fuselage - does the rudder work OK when taxi-ing? But whatever - it's a truly great projectteeth 2

• 3 months later...