Orange 3-axis Stabiliser V2

Pete B

Posted by Rick Young on 10/05/2014 08:02:02:

Phil, Did you connect the aileron servos with a y-lead and plug it in to the AIL-L slot on the stabilizer.

no. first I tried one servo in AIL-L and one in AIL-R and the output from the rx into the rsx3

but I had ailerons on separate channels so this setup moved both ailerons in the same direction. I now have it just one aileron but I think this will work ok

I don't think this module can work with two channel ailerons

Posted by IanR on 10/05/2014 10:47:45:

Does this mean that it's not possible to individually adjust the ailerons to set up differential or flaperons?

Ian

yes (although it may be possible with a firmware update but then you need to reprogram the thing)

I've just lost the whole of the following post due to finger trouble on the Hudl, so just allow me a little weep first...crying 2

Anyway, what I was going to say was that at the risk of repeating the above points, I'd summarise the basic parameters for using the V2. I'm about 500 miles north of my gear at present so much of this is from memory.

First of all, the model must be set up on the Tx with respect to correct servo travel and flight trim. The model must be flying well first. Any servo reversal to obtain correct gyro compensation MUST be done using the gyro dipswitches, not the Tx.

In respect of ailerons, you cannot use a dual channel system, save as below, so you can either connect a Y lead from both servos to one gyro ail output (left IIRC) or connect each servo lead to its respective gyro ail output. The gyro is effectively a Y lead in this case.

This will mean you do not have the option of electronic aileron differential or spoilerons, although you can set up differential mechanically. It is reported that, to retain these functions, it is possible to have the gyro function on one aileron only but I haven't tried it myself.

For first flights, make sure the gains are set quite low, to avoid a switchback flight. Increase the gain in small increments until you're happy.

There is a link to the RCG thread on the first page.

Hope this helps, I'm off for a small gibber.....wink 2

Pete

Yes Phil, I've got one in a Westwings Fournier and it transformed it from a bunch of twitchiness to a smooth, scale-like flyer (OK, a bit of poetic licence there!). They do not make you a better flyer but for smoothing out the flight pattern, they work well. There is unquestionably a damping effect on the speed of the controls but if I want to throw the model about, I switch off the gyro, a big advantage with the V2.

I've a couple of other models with the Eagle Pro gyro and they are a useful bit of kit....thumbs up

Pete

Phil, Pete, (anybody!), do you think it would be possible to fit a servo reverser in line with the second aileron output - I'm thinking about the Hobbyking V3 stabiliser with the integral receiver, here. Would this give back the separate adjustment for each aileron function?

Would a servo reverser have any adverse effect ie slow down that particular servo or alter its endpoints or is it completely "transparent" in use and therefore good to use with ailerons which require equal movements?

Thanks, Ian

PS I'm hoping to fit one of these to my foamy Wot 4 to help me fly in more windy weather but I would like to be able to keep individual servo adjustment.

Just connect the gyro into one aileron only, keep the other aileron on a seperate channel with no gyro. The gyro can easily do it's thing with a single aileron, you will need a little bit more gain but apart from that it makes no diferrence.

A.

Posted by Andrew Eastland on 10/05/2014 13:16:33:

Just connect the gyro into one aileron only, keep the other aileron on a seperate channel with no gyro. The gyro can easily do it's thing with a single aileron, you will need a little bit more gain but apart from that it makes no diferrence.

A.

+1thumbs up

Pete

Posted by IanR on 10/05/2014 12:59:48:

Phil, Pete, (anybody!), do you think it would be possible to fit a servo reverser in line with the second aileron output - I'm thinking about the Hobbyking V3 stabiliser with the integral receiver, here. Would this give back the separate adjustment for each aileron function?

Would a servo reverser have any adverse effect ie slow down that particular servo or alter its endpoints or is it completely "transparent" in use and therefore good to use with ailerons which require equal movements?

Thanks, Ian

PS I'm hoping to fit one of these to my foamy Wot 4 to help me fly in more windy weather but I would like to be able to keep individual servo adjustment.

it will only connect to one Rx channel to control ailerons

there maybe more expensive stabilizers that have two aileron channels. Or as stated connect to one aileron only this will still allow individual aileron adjustment and give roll stability 

Edited By Phil 9 on 10/05/2014 14:06:05

No experience of the V3, Ian but AFAIK it's just the two units combined. If that's the case, the ail gyro will still be on just the one channel. The options above seem to all that is available but it may be worth trawling through the latter stages of the RCG thread, where I've no doubt the V3 is being discussed at far greater length than here....teeth 2

Pete

OK, but can I still ask the question - in the case of 2 servos performing the same function i.e. ailerons or flaps where the same travel and speed etc is required, would a servo reverser on just one of the servos make them operate differently from one another?

Ian

I suppose it might work if the reverser is downwind of the gyro but I'm not sure there wouldn't be an adverse reaction such as working slower on that side or even whether the differential settings wouldn't be affected. It's a case of suck it and see, I guess....smile

Pete

Hmm - thanks, Pete. I reckon I'll phone the Servo Shop on Monday and see what they have to say. They appear to have servo reversers in stock. If their answer isn't too negative then I'll order something and, as you say, suck it and see.

Ian

Posted by IanR on 10/05/2014 17:30:31:

OK, but can I still ask the question - in the case of 2 servos performing the same function i.e. ailerons or flaps where the same travel and speed etc is required, would a servo reverser on just one of the servos make them operate differently from one another?

Ian

the module has one input AIL and two outputs AIL-R and AIL-L

R and L have opposite travel so if the ailerons are mechanically the same the stabilizer allow them to move in opposite directions. If your ailerons are mechanically opposite you connect then through a y lead to either AIL-R or AIL-L

but using either method still only allows one channel input into the stabilizer you can not use separate channels for each aileron through the stabalizer

Phil, this is the Ver 3 stabiliser which combines a receiver in the same housing. It doesn't have inputs and outputs - just the standard RX servo cable outputs. Channel 2 is AIL1 and channel 5 is GEAR/AIL2 and, according to the instructions, the 2 aileron channels are reversed so, if the physical mountings of the servos are reversed then the reversal within the unit will cause the 2 servos to move in the same direction.

Personally, I think its a daft set-up. Surely the vast majority of, if not all, aileron servo installations are reversed so why the heck would you want your RX to reverse them for you? Crackers. Or is it just me?

Ian

I think you're up against a system which was designed down to a price and simple spec to cope with ail, rud and ele. Three functions, three gyro sensors.

It is Orange, after all! smile

You'll have to go a bit upmarket to get the 2-CH aileron functionality.....

Pete

Ian, the v3 works just like the v2. Just put the second aileron on ch5. It really will work perfectly well with just one aileron on the gyro. It just means the gyro will drive the single aileron a little further than it would drive a pair.

A.

I got to try mine out today and it worked very well. we had fairly strong wind and a little blustery and the stabilizer did its job of smoothing things out. As others were packing up I still managed some good flights. I did feel it was a little less responsive at some points but today it made the difference between flying and not flying.

Don't forget to check the fail safe still operates in the same manor after you put in the module. I had to reset mine.