Orange 3-axis Stabiliser V2

Pete B

Hi all, cant comment on the Hobbyking gyros because could not get my hands on one. However purchased a Dymond 3 axis unit from Germany and not wishing to try it out on anything special I fitted it in an aircraft made from several other models.It flew quite well but had a nasty habit of going a bit mad when turning into wind. After fitting this gyro the trtansformation was amazing. It was stable in all conditions and laughs at strongish winds. Can rtecommend this unit to anyone wanting to venture in.

Norman,

Thanks for the info on the Dymond 3 axis gyro, I have been looking at one for a while but was afraid it was similar to the HK versions which I hate as both of mine cause the servos to jitter badly and I would not risk them in any model. The funny thing is I bought 3 when they came out first, gave one to a buddy of mine and it worked perfectly but my two are rubbish.

Hi Yakmad, When using the DYMOND 3 axis gyro, it is important to set the gain pots (there is one for ail, rudder & elevs) to minimum, then gradually increase the gain on each untill the respective control moves slightly as the model is moved in the appropriate direction. DONT do this outdoors as any breeze will affect your setting up. Now if the respective servo judders or twitches the control then the gain is too high. Only small perceptable movements in the controls should be needed for first flight.

Note also that with this gyro you can set up one switch on your tranny to give normal control (stabalized) or off or heading hold. For first try out, take off with it switched OFF, gain safe hight and switch on (AVC or normal position) and watch results. If needed switch off, land and readjust.

Also note that when the desired stable flight is obtained, when you switch your receiver switch on the model at startup and normal is selected first, hold the model level for several seconds as the gyro senses a level position then the controls will click into their center positions ready for taxying or carrying it out to runway. Hope this mouthfull is helpfull. Norman-E

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to this forum, but have been following the discussions of the Orange RX3S V2 for some time. I have some, and an Eagle Tree Guardian, and have been testing them in an old battered TwinStar, and a WOT4e. Both types work well when set up correctly, the Guardian being clearly the better device, capable of much more than the less expensive RX3S. I have been flying both models in winds around 16 to 18 mph, gusting to over 20 mph measured on a Skywatch Xplorer. In spite of these conditions, made worse by low level turbulence, the aircraft fly safely and for the most part smoothly. Landings in particular are well stabilised and do not seem to present a hazard.

However the RX3S does have one annoying habit - the servos chatter continuously while it is powered, regardless of whether it is switched on or off at the transmitter. I am beginning to believe that whether this happens or not depends on the servos. I have tested it with every type of servo that I could get my hands on and the results are interesting. Newer servos, e.g. Hitec HS81, HS55, HS325, HS485 and JR DS821 all chatter non-stop. Servos such as JR NES507, NES517, Sanwa SAN102 and the anonymous servos in the WOT4e do not chatter. Neither does the relatively new Spektrum A6000. This servo gave me a clue - on some forums it has a poor reputation for having a wide dead band, which I think points to the explanation.

My theory is that the RX3S has a ripple on its output signal at all times and that servos with a narrow dead band see this and cannot settle down. The other servos do not see this signal defect and so sit quietly in a model. What it needs now is someone with an oscillograph, a programmable digital servo and a servo programmer to look at the signal, and to experiment with varying dead-band widths. Unfortunately I do not have such equipment. If I am right the solution seems to be to use the RS3X with servos that remain quiet. I feel that with the others there is a risk that the pots will suffer premature wear leading to failure.

You may have a point there, SB - I've also seen it mentioned over on RCG that the 'better' servos suffer more. Those were my findings with my Cub - HS81's jittered like mad but the cheapie OEM sevos on the Fox weren't affected.....

Pete

I have set up my 3 axis version 2 gyro on my micro fusion and everything appears to be behaving as expected except my on/off switch (set on 'Flap/Gyro'. This switches elevator and rudder on and off but the ailerons remain permanently on regardless off the switch position. I have tried changing the Y lead and the servo themselves but with no success. I have also tried using the gear switch with the same mystifying result.

I have run out of ideas. Can anyone out there offer a possible solution ?

John

Hi John, Make sure you have not selected Helicopter mode instead of acro. (plane).

Check transmitter carefully to see if you have inadvertantly got another switch selected as well as the one your using. Also check that the switch you use for switching gyro on and off is not on same channel as used by ailerons tjo i suspect you are using Ch 1 on receiver and using splitter.

If you still have a problem run through gyro set up again and try again.

Norman

Thanks Norman

I checked each of the points you highlighted with no success. I rebound the Rx on to a fresh unused channel and set up the gyro from scratch, again no improvement.

In desperation I disconnected each of the two aileron servos in turn. The left servo behaved normally, the right servo chattered violently and as they are both fed off the same lead via a splitter I can only conclude the fault lies with a dodgy servo.

I'll fit replacements tomorrow and try again - I've had enough for tonight !

John

J S, perhaps you should not think too badly of the servo that chatters violently. It could be one of the best servos you own. Chattering on an Orange ORX-3S is obviously a weakness in the ORX-3S circuit design, rather than a fault in a servo, because other more pricy devices of similar kind do not do this, even with servos that chatter on the Orange thing.

Can anyone help? Just took delivery via HobbyKing of F-TEK 30A 3 axis staberlizer. No instruction sheet is supplied so I have found out, and the makers web site provides details but in a RAR folder which I cant decipher. Anyone out there possess an englishy copy. Would br gratefull for any info.

Norman.

• 1 month later...
Posted by scott cuppello on 23/02/2013 10:19:22:

There is a file marked "V2 Manual" it covers both versions, and should give you enough information to set this unit up, it certainly worked for me.

Downloadable instructions are common for e-tailers, it keeps costs down and offers a constant source for upgrades/revisions....things are changing, many people will learn how to set up planes, electronics, etc, via You-Tube, Forums, etc, thousands of our customers don't seem to have an issue with it.

Hi scott I do hope your still watching this thread I'm just a little perplexed here as there really is only one file in the product files tab here or is this item listed in more than one place cos if it is I can't find it lol

Phil

I don't think he'll be that interested, Phil - Scott left HK a few weeks agosmile

I don't think there ever has been a printed V2 manual but all the info you need should be in this thread. If you can't find what you need, just ask - better in your other thread, I think.....

If it helps, someone has made a video on installing the V2:

Pete

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 12/08/2013 21:49:49

• 5 weeks later...

I have an orange 3axis v2, a few times I've felt I've briefly lost control of my plane as the elevator has not responded, then a couple of weeks ago, I came out of a roll and dived head first into the ground. I put it down to my lack of experience.

Makes me wonder if it was all my fault. I have the flaps set so I can switch it off, so may try without it next time.

Ian.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have used the Orange 3-Axis V2 stabilizer in the roll mode only using my Futaba 7c tx and rx and it worked well. However when trying to add the yaw channel I find that with the stabilizer only switched off it is not possible to move the rudder to the right or at best it has a very delayed reaction and then does not center. I have tested this problem on another model with another Orange stabilizer with the same results.Has anyone had the same situation.

ps The pitch mode seems to working as advertised.

Posted by Rick Young on 08/05/2014 14:27:03:

I have used the Orange 3-Axis V2 stabilizer in the roll mode only using my Futaba 7c tx and rx and it worked well. However when trying to add the yaw channel I find that with the stabilizer only switched off it is not possible to move the rudder to the right or at best it has a very delayed reaction and then does not center. I have tested this problem on another model with another Orange stabilizer with the same results.Has anyone had the same situation.

ps The pitch mode seems to working as advertised.

Im am not getting this problem

still not got it set up yet though. having issues with getting all moving in the correct direction

Phil, Thanks for your reply but I think that I have now solved the problem. Both of the models being used to diagnose my yaw snag were fitted with FR-SKY TFR-6 Futaba compatible rx's. I replaced one with a genuine Futaba rx and all is now well. It would appear that although I have never had any problems with the TFR-6 before that it is not compatible with the Orange stabilizer in the yaw mode.

Mine is on a Futaba FASST Rx.

I have mine now hooked up to rudder and elevator and all seems fine. I had a problem at first with elevator but managed to solve it buy rotating the module in the model with pins to the front (unlike in the video above)

ailerons next. I have ailerons with a servo in each wing on separate channels. the stabiliser seems has a right and left aileron output but only one input.

should I only connect one aileron?