American magazine RC Modeler plans service

I usually buy plans from Traplet and My Hobby Store and deal and delivery are excellent, but more than two months ago I ordered two plans from RC Modeler. Next day they charged from my credit card. After passing five weeks I sent them an email as I had not received my order yet, but they did not answer. Two months after I sent them another email and I am still waitlng for the answer. Anyone of you out there have happened the same thing?. If it is not so, be careful. I have lost my money and my plans.

Advert

I subscribed once to an American modelling magazine published by Carstons Publishing. Each copy took months to arrive; after a couple of failed deliveries I tried to contact every person listed on their website to get any information about my order and didn't get a single reply. In the end I had to shame them into replying by joining RC Universe and putting my experience with them on a complaints thread. Eventually I was contacted by one of the editors through through the forum. How they're still in business is anyones guess if that's how they run it.

I reckon that if you live outside of the US borders then you might as well live on Mars as far as US suppliers are concerned. After I cancelled my subscription and got a refund, I still received a couple of issues...although copies that  I'd already received. Useless incompetents!

But definately chase them up for your money, either directly or through your bank and you might get sent the plans anyway.

Edited By Bas La Bois on 28/01/2013 21:38:45

There has been quite lot of similar comments about RCM Plans on the RCuniverse forum. Almost everyone had a long wait but almost all received the plans eventually, sometimes a couple of months late. It would appear that its run as a retirement business and thats the reason for delay. But the plans are so good in quality and such a wide range that it would be worth persevering with the order.

Given that it could take a few weeks to pass your order to their printers and another couple to get the prints back, pack and dispatch; then if they send them surface mail as they probably will (unless you paid £40 for a courier) they will take another couple of months to get to the UK whereon Customs and Excise will want to sniff over them before giving them to Royal Mail for delivery. All I’m saying is that they will turn up sometime. crying 2

Years ago (about 15) I ordered a few plans from RCM, they arrived in what I would consider to be a reasonable time. Then. Obviously things have changed.

As a tip, some American plans from RCM turn up in the Modell Bauplane plans published by VTH of Germany. Worth looking there because they will possibly be cheaper, arrive quicker and the import duty would not apply.

The British and USA plans usually come as published, with English instructions and possibly imperial measurements..

Edited By Chris P. Bacon on 29/01/2013 16:23:46

Many thanks for your reply. I can see RC Modeler plans service is famous for its delay but the worst thing is to send them emails and have no reply, it seems to me as a mockery. This have never happened to me with Traplet or My hobby Store, They have always been honest with me and the delivery have always been ok. I am going to let pass some time and then probably as Chris suggest I will see in Modell Bauplane.

Kind regards.

It is only in the last couple of years that these delays have been reported. But it might be worthwhile to try phoning them as people report that it then produced the plans soon after. Remember that Oregon is about 8 hours behind UK time.

I have turned up the magazine with the Bird Dog - April 95 - and it looks a nice design, uses lots of 1/8 liteply as far as I can see from the small plan. Well worth waiing for the plan I reckon. Most RCM plans are so nicely drawn and 'inked' that they seem very clear and certainly amongst the best I have seen. The Bird Dog is a design by Bob Rich and drawn as a CAD plan by Fred Reese. Simple elegant design.

Many years ago I was a subscriber to RCM modeller, for many years.

In those days the magazine came every month without fail, the content has never been surpassed.

I have purchased plans from the company in those days, a Gee Bee R1/2 and Bf 109 come to mind.

Since then the magazine has ceased trading and i suspect that the organisation is not what it was.

I have in the past purchased books from the USA via Abe Books, as with magazines or anything else going via postal services, it does take some time.

In the days of RCM pomp, it was an excellent business, with staff who loved to chat and help. Alas, that was then, and now is now.

About four years ago I purchased two plans from them: Pussy Cat and Culver Dart, They are fantastic, well drawn and good quality. This is why I encouraged to order again. Regarding to phone them it is more difficult as my spoken English is quite bad, only writing and not well enough, that is why I do not dare to write much in the forum. Thanks to all of you.

Well Fanyak your written English is very good & I had just assumed that you were an Englishman! The USA is fast becoming a Spanish speaking country so I would expect RCM to understand you quite well, but I understand your reticence.

Up to a year or so ago the RCM website had many of the construction articles available to download and this included the Bird Dog. I took the oportunity to download this and many other articles and saved them to my computer. Now RCM have removed some of these but there is a large archive of classic articles still there. Look for Requested Articles at the bottomof the index. Also look for the David Anderson section for lots of free download stuff. David P Anderson has his own website too where some large warbird plans are available for free download.