Evolution Petrol Engines

John 'JB' Seal

Advert

• 4 months later...

Well I finally got to fly the Evo 10 with the ASP 52 muffler & wow what a difference......it runs as well as ever, throttles beautifully & sounds like a quiet glow engine....the muffler really takes the bark out of the exhaust note. I'm running a 12x6 prop & getting 10,200 rpm which tugs my HK Soar 40 around very nicely. I did try an 11x7 thinking its got similar power to a 46 so lets try a 46 sized prop & it was no where near a good....the revs increased slightly but the performance of the model was worse......I wonder if the silencer might hold it back a bit at high rpm or (more likely in my opinion) its in a fairly "soft" state of tune & works better at lower rpm to keep the noise down.....

I flew the engine flat out for pretty much the entire 10 minute flight & there was no sign of overheating......a very worthwhile "modification" to the GX10 IMHO.....I commend it to you.teeth 2

ASP52 Muffler here....

My Evo 33gx past the noise test inthe end. I used the largest size prop recommended and had to block off on of the exhaust tubes.

By the way, the exhaust is muffled or has baffles. The exhaust tubes sit right up into the exhaust chamber and have about 12 holes drilled into them. Closing off one of the exhaust tubes has not effected the power or caused any overheating.

• 1 month later...
I bought the evo10cc and now I am trying to install it to a seagull texan (harward). Today I worked a little on the fuel tank. I used the supplied viton tubing and the clunk. But the clunk is not heavy as it should be because it stays in the air. The tubing is so stiff. I tried with tygon tubing too it is better but still very stiff how did you do the tank installation

So you didn't use the supplied clunk. Since 10cc needs a smaller tank and the smaller tank needs a shorter pickup tube with the not so heavy clunk the result is not good. I guess I need to replace the clunk. I'll post a picture too.

• 2 weeks later...

I had similar troubles with short Tygon tubes supporting a clunk, and not reaching the bottom of the tank. Then I left the fuel in a tank for a few days and the Tygon softened. Now it flops around the tank as it needs to.

I now use this as standard practice. Only a small amount of petrol is needed to keep the clunk tube flexible. However if it dries out it becomes very stiff again.

There's another think occupies my mind. I am installing the 10cc engine to 46 size plane. The 10cc evo is converted from a 60 size engine. So it is like installing a 60 size engine+ignition module+ignition battery+heavy cables. Is it an overkill.

The 60 is a 'small-block' engine, not what we think of as 60 size these days - pretty much the size of a modern 40-55 glow. I'm using around half of an 8oz tank for an easy 10 minutes flying so tank size is really only restricted in how small you go by getting the short clunk line to flex enough. Weight saved in tank and fuel (and the bulk) make up for the ignition unit which just leaves the battery and a rather awkward ignition lead. An 1100mAHr LiFe pack doesn't take up much space or room. Now how many models end up nose heavy? Very few.

Not so bad really,