Hobby King Website

Hi Guys,

Just wondered if everyone is having the same problem as me, getting on the Hobby King website is a nightmare these days. It almost always stops before the website, and struggles to connect to it, it's probably overloaded with the increase in popularity.

Has anyone else had the same problems recently? I hope they can sort it out.

Advert

Its not chinese new year for another 11 days so i am sure its not do do with that,

This is is the first time i have had trouble with the site and on looking for info found a site that shows web site downtime stats and at this moment Hobbyking have been down for about 3.15 hours for everyone its not just regional.

I have noticed the same but even when getting onto the site its as slow as anything both to initially select an item and then to reload detail from the same page. This has been true for a number of days now. It must be just the amount of traffic due to their popularity. I can't think of any other modelling website that gets the hits they must do.

If this is a DDoS attack (Distributed Denial of Service) as stated by HK on FaceBook then some portals may be able to get a connection to HK or one of it's mirrors but if your ISP routing is using one of the portals being used for the DDoS then you probably won't get a reliable connection and are just adding to the problem.

I'd just wait until tomorrow and let them gradually shut down the networks where the DDoS is originating.

If your PC has the trojan or virus causing the DDoS then you may already be sending multiple page requests to HK......

Just a suggestion from a Software Engineer......

Skippy

Posted by Aky208 on 31/01/2013 18:27:59:

Skippy, how would you know if your PC had the virus/Trojan? I guess most people use antivirus software but these can be limited, especially the free ones. Is there any obvious signs?

Aky208, in reality there is not a lot of difference between something like MSEssentials (MS's free anti virus) than a fully paid for version from McAfee for dealing with an infection fexcept the McAfee comes with more additional functions for email and document scanning to prevent you getting infected in the first place.

Virus writers are very clever people and statistically, large multi-national corporations have more problems with virus's and trogens than Joe Bloggs as the virus's pread through the corperate network - I don't suppose you are connected to anybody else except maybe your phones.

Protection comes best from frequent scanning - as a software company, our PC's are scanned at least once a week and often once a day (it's a disciplinary offence to not do it!) as there are now so many devious ways of getting infected with a virus or trogan.

A single infected PC may request a web page several hundred times a minute and unless you packet sniff at the router, you're unlikely to detect these page requests especially if there is more than one thing connected to the router (i.e phones, tablets or other PC's).

If there are a thousand infected PC's around the world then that makes several hundred thousand page requests being made per minute - normally this would be handled by a big website but if they are all the same page then some will be rejected causing the ISP servers to re-submit the request in addition to the continuing ones from the infected servers and it snowballs.......

Only advice I can give anybody is to frequently scan their PC's (and phones) and just not rely on the antivirus tools stopping the original infection route.

Sorry if I've bored you all but I've tried to put it in simple laymans terms.

Skippy