SAS Wildthing wind speed

I don't know about any good web sites, I can only tell you how I was told to do it.

Chuck it off the slope like its a bomb you want to get rid of. Keep her flying straight into the wind, gaining height until you're happy, then turn her to fly parrallel with the slope. Turn her away from the slope, into the wind then do the same at the other end, so you're flying a figure 8. If you turn with the wind the plane will speed up and at this early age, until you get used to it, keeping things slow is good. Once you're happy with that just try things out, but ensure you have some height in case things go wrong.

To land, bring the plane around behind you, but not to far, and turn her into the wind. You will have to give it some down elevator to get her down otherwise you'll be up there all day lol. Don't worry about trying to make a perfect landing, she's built to take hard knocks and you'll soon get used to it.

Advert

I found Stan Yeo's articles on his shop's website (phoenixmp.com) quite informative and a good read. They're under 'magazine articles' on the right hand side of the page.

Might help, might not. Steve's pretty much summed it up anyway. You really don't have to worry about crashing a Wild Thing, that's the joy of it.

John.

A usefull book I have had for years is 'Radio Control Soaring' by Dave Hughes, last published in 1978. I have seen copies recently advertised perhaps on Amazon or E-bay?

The book has a picture on it's front cover of a KK Elmira being launched, and describes most aspects of slope soaring apart from combat!

(I have just checked there are copies available on Amazon for as little as £2.00)

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 04/02/2013 09:54:01

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 04/02/2013 09:56:28

Haha, everyone keeps calling me Ian, its the lack of spaces in my username i.am.mark.evans wink

I'm in Redditch, so close to the Malverns & Lickey hills. Transporting the WT will be done in a camping rucksacking on my Yamaha R1 smiley

Although i work a 1-10pm shift all week and have my son all weekend so i don't know how much ill be able to get out with it, but come the summer i hope to be out as much as possible.

Today might be the day the postie brings it?! Excited much!

Mark

Edited By IAMMARKEVANS on 04/02/2013 10:42:05

Hi Mark.

I would use the DX6 for the WT and a cheaper 5 channel receiver.

Set the throws to get the elevons correct and then reduce them for the lesser elevator movement.

A simple way of doing this is to use the elevator dual rate function, and set both dual rates the same so that the dual rate switch has no effect.

• 10 months later...

Good evening everyone I'm new to the forum. I'm Italian and I write in this old post to know where I can buy the wildthing. I tried on the website of SAS modelI can not order it. I also tried to contact via email [email protected] but is not responding. Can you give me some information? Thank you in advance.Sorry for the bad English, I used Google translator

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 07/01/2014 22:44:16

Hi Stefano,

Welcome to the forum!

I've not had the experience of shopping with SAS but a look at their website makes me think they are only interested in receiving orders by telephone, so it begs the question as to why they bother with publishing their email address - unless anyone else know otherwise?

It seems that the telephone may be your only option and I can understand your difficulty if you are not confident with speaking English, which would be a problem, of course.

Perhaps SAS would make an exception and take an email order, if they happen to notice this post?

Pete

Wow thanks for the replies and happy new year to you too. Call for me would be a big problem.I will continue to write emails every day ... sooner or later he will answer.Otherwise I will have to find a friend in the uk that will give me help buying it for me. I'm in love with this model and unfortunately in Italy there are no

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 07/01/2014 23:46:56

I rang SAS and ordered over the phone. Spoke to the main man. Nice chap told me lots of useful advice. Glad I phoned.

Last time I took the WT out it was gusting to 50mph on the cliffs at PerranSands. Stopped flying then - not because it would fly (they did) but because we couldn't launch them against the strong wind once they were down.

Edited By cymaz on 08/01/2014 06:49:46

Hi Stefano,

Alan is beyond retirement age, operates SAS as a one person operation and has tried off and on over many years to shut SAS down. He carries on due to public demand and so prospective purchasers need to allow for the fact that normal business rules just do not apply. (A few years back I used to fly Indoor Events with him regularly, but have had no need for contact in the last two years or so)

As I see it you have two options:-

1. Hope that someone in the UK will help you establish contact and an order.

OR

2. Buy something very similar, for example, one of www.flyingwings.co.uk products.

**LINK**

Both mine (46 and a 60) have bog standard Futaba S3001's. Both are on 4 cell square 2600mAh NIMH.

Never found the need for anything more expensive nor faster, or I'd have changed straight away!!

My 46 is set up with the max possible throws and I use expo to tame the centre zone, more on pitch than roll. That way it can fly extremely violently, both for a laugh and for combat moves!!

It is quite heavy, 910 grammes, mainly due to combat protection heavy taping, yet can manage aeros in quite light winds. I have not really found the need to ballast it yet its been flown in several gales where its been 35 in lulls plus big gusts well over 50mph.

Ridiculously maybe, mine has a FRSky FASST 8 channel Rx, but I bulk bought and they were not more than a lower channel count Rx.

Have lots of fun with it!

PS Much to Alan's horror when we last spoke ages back now I have flown both sizes of the WT (mine) and the supposed replacement Fusion (friends) back to back, and cannot really tell any difference.

PPS for speed inc rudimentary Dynamic Soaring and straight aero flying I prefer the FlyingWings Slipstream, which is the agile quick Lotus Elise to the 46 WT's solid dependable Audi TT, with the 60WT a Jaguar XK long distance cruiser!

• 1 year later...