SAS Wildthing wind speed

Hi guys,

After flying my 2 Radians (3ch and pro) i think gliders are for me. I love my 3ch Radian in calm days, glides so great!. Although i don't where the pro fits really, doesn't fly as well as the 3ch on calm days and struggles whenever there is a bit of wind.

So i've been thinking what to get next and fancy trying out a SAS Wildthing. I could shove it in my camping rucksack and go out on my R1 somewhere with it here in the midlands (i don't drive a car) or take it down the coast on the weekends in the summer.

But i was wondering what sort of wind speed can they handle? i don't want to be stuck at home on a bright day just because its gusting a bit too much out. I've never slope soared before so thought this would be a good model to start with(plus due to its size to transport). I'm guessing its going to be a lot more responsive than either of my Radians, but i heard they are tough too, so hopefully handle my bad flying until i get used to it! =)

Advert

If you can launch it, it will fly in it. Brilliant thing the Wild Thing. Last time I took mine out the wind was over forty mph and I couldn't hold on to it when I tried to launch. It kept getting blown out of my hand and disappearing back over the top of the hill. It smacked me in the mouth a couple of times in the passing as well. Still had great fun and the WT was none the worse for it. I was a bit sore. They're as near indestructable as it's possible for a model to be. Get one, you will love it.

John.

P.S. There's a big long thread on this forum somewhere dedicated to the Wild Thing - try a search.

The more i read about them the more im getting sold on one.

Just gotta decide now which of my models ill sell off, the wot 4 foam e might have to go, and maybe one of the Radians, but can't decide which one.

Just seen the Fusion 46 too, says its a bit shorter in length than the WT, might fit in the rucksack better =p

I built my Wildthing 60 about 3 years ago. I have heard that the smaller model is best but have been pleased with the bigger version and think it might be better for a beginner to slope soaring?

There is a video of my model on its maiden flight at Detling in Kent on this Website. The video was made by club member Peter Bruce with a camera attached to his Wildthing 60. Look under 'Flair Heron makeover'. If you look on the 'Goodwind' Website you may find the video of 3 or so Wildthings being flown to a local pub also at Detling.

From the construction point of view if you are good at wrapping Christmas presents and can handle Sellotape then the Wildthing construction should not be a problem. i have put extra lead on the nose of mine to make it more stable. However it's been stuck in the loft now for over two years.

MJE

Wildthing 60

A few of us have flown in 80MPH at the orme over the past few years - some of the lads added ballast, but of course, they broke their models as they "landed" as they invariably get whipped along the ground head over heels style across the car park and down the road!

Launching is not easy - take a really firm grip ( no gloves ) on the nose area and let the strong wind weathercock the model nose in - dont attempt to hold the model underneath on the COG as you simply wont get enough grip. Throw it like you hate it, and keep pushing out into the cleaner lift.

Landing? Well sort of aim for the ground and close your eyes LOL - ensure you have plenty of CW tape with you surprise

I only took up slope about 18 months ago after flying powered and have hardly flown anything powered since. You'll soon get the hang of it and like the rest of slopers, you'll become addicted, but the WT is a great plane to start with. It's stable, easy to build, easy to fly, will fly in a huge wind range, is very aerobatic and will take just about any punishment you care to give it, especially on landings.

Enjoy, and let us know how you get on.

The Wild Thing is a great first model and will take virtually any abuse that you can throw at it.

One little tip.

The instructions say to cover each wing with CW tape before you join them.

If you join the wing halves first and them cover the whole wing with CW tape, the joint is much much stronger.

Beware that tthis slope soaring thing is highly addictive, and can be expensive!

After four years of it, I only have nine gliders including four mouldies.

As Peewhit did, I joined mines wing first before covering. Also I didn't cut the mounts off the servo's, just slotted the hole to take them. Mount the servos with the output shaft to the rear IYSWIM. They're a bit mean with the control rods and the other way they're not long enough! Keep the CofG as plan at first but you might need a little extra in the nose just to tame it down a bit. Even so its easy to fly.

Enjoy!

Ian

Yeah i've been doing a bit of reading and came across a post about joining the wing first before covering. Tbh i would have probs done that anyway, knowing the join would be stronger this way.

Even on the sim all i ever seem to fly are the gliders on the countryside hill location! haha

Haven't even got the WT yet and i know i'd already fancy a really nice composite glider, whether a sloper or thermal for those summer evenings (only got the Radian pro now). I'm just loving gliders whatever sort, might even sell my wot 4 foam-e now to make room for one more model wink

Do the WT require any sort of mixing? even though i have the DX6i, i was thinking of maybe picking up one of those single stick hitec tx's just for it, them i can just throw that in the rucksack nand not worry about damging it unlike my dx6i. I think those hitec ss sets did mixing for elevons?

Don't see why that wouldn't work so long as it comes with a receiver and the proper crystals. I would be slightly concerned about the possibility of interferrence though as there could be anybody out nearby with another 27MHz set on a boat or car or even toy on the same channel as you. 2.4 is really safer when you're going to be flying in unregulated locations, particularly if there are likely to be other people about.

John.

Are there any good websites where i can read up on some basics of slope flying before i hit one?

even though i can fly, i still need to grasp the 'elevator controls speed' thing and learn to trim my WT properly. Currently on my Radian pro i have the cg set as i've read online (bit further back then the manual) and then on the glide i just use elevator to trim for level flight and leave it at that.

so this slope flying might be all different which i need to learn (some things that Alan said on the phone when i placed my order went over my head a little).