New DX8 Glider programming functions

Chris Bott - Moderator

Hi Robin.

Yes, flaps in different channels, this uses seven receiver channels.

The Sailplane programming revolves completely around flight modes. It's almost like having three model memories that can be switched between during flight. Sticks and switches can do different things, trims and mixes can be different etc etc.

In my launch mode, the throttle stick (which confusingly they call the Spoiler stick throughout this software) operates the motor.

In Landing mode it moves the flaps down and the ailerons up, and in Thermal mode it does nothing.
It could be used to operate the camber (flaps and ailerons all up or all down a little, together) but what I found there was that if I stopped the motor in launch, and switched to Thermal mode, I instantly had full down camber and had to re-adjust.

I'm no glider guider, so I'd be really interested in any guidance if my setup doesn't follow convention.

If anyone wants my setup file, pop me a PM with your email address and I'll send it through.

Cheers
Chris

Advert

Posted by SmarTmartY on 20/04/2013 00:35:52:

I'm assuming that my motor-less full house glider will work ok using a 6 channel Rx, by employing the throttle channel? I'm still struggling to set mine up blush 6 servos, 6 channels, why isn't it straightforward?

Only if the Dx8 allows you to reassign the throttle channel and use that for flaps otherwise flaps are on outputs 6 & 7 so you need a 7 channel Rx.

It does appear that even for a motorless full house glider, you will need a 7 Ch Rx.

With Wing type "2 ail 2 flaps" selected and motor set to "inh". Channels are assigned as follows:

1 Mot
2 RAil
3 Ele
4 Rud
5 LFlp
6 LAil
7 RFlp

I don't see Flap (or RFlap) available to mix from, in P Mix. So it doesn't look possible to mix from Flap to Ch1.

You could of course use a Y lead for flaps, you would just lose the option of full span ailerons.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 20/04/2013 10:01:55

Thanks for the replies guys, even if it's not really what I wanted to hear. I know some have managed it with a 6CH Rx, with fancy Ninja mixing, so I'll have to hunt to see if I can find more info. I don't yet know if I can reassign any channels on my DX8, but I was hoping this new update would allow for such things. If it turns out I still can't do what I want, I think it's time to start looking at the Frsky Taranis that's due out soon.

Ho hum frown

I already have one of those Chris, but it's a 6210 that's already built into my Willow F3F, which would be a real pig to dig out anyway. Sorry to sound like a stuck record but I still can't grasp why the DX8 can't operate 6 servos and no motor on 6 channels. If I Y lead the flaps it will take away quite a lot of the required functionality needed. Surely HH/Spektrum have realised that there are serious glider jockeys (and me) out there who need more flexibilty to tweak, and they are releasing higher end gliders after all.

Just purchased a Dx8 with telemetry and also downloaded v.3.0 for gliders. The software installation went without incidence, and I started to bind my Gentle Lady (THRO; ELEV; RUDD and an AR6115e as the RX) and was able to get the elevator and rudder to work. However, after numerous attempts, I cannot get the motor to work (on the throttle stick). I switched back to my Dx6i and after re-binding, I have no poblems with the motor, but trying again with the Dx8, I cannot get the motor to work. I am keen to solve this as I would like to use the T1000 with an altimeter and voltage sensor as I fly here in N. California. I guess I could "program" the Gentle Lady as an 'acro' rather than a sailplane (since I have no ailerons nor flaps), but I'm curious as to what I am doing wrong in the sailplane mode, for example there is no sailplane category for wings without ailerons.

Hi FlygJanne

I'm not sure there's much point using the sailplane programming for a Gentle Lady but here's how to make throttle work.

In the Wing Type menu there's a section at the bottom called Motor. This is where you select which switch/stick operates the motor. In here choose Spoiler (obvious isn't it!!!) because in the glider programming, what you and I know as the Throttle stick, is called the Spoiler stick.

Thanks Chris

This worked although it's 'overkill' for the Gentle Lady. While on the DX8, I've noticed, as have many others here in the US, that the charge with the stock battery is limited especially compared to the DX6i. The DX8 with its backlit display draws more power; however, Spektrum offers a 4000mAh Lipo 'replacement' which, when used, apparently allows charging until the "light goes off" indicating full charge and significantly extends the time between charges. Before investing in such a Lipo, I wonder if anyone has done this switch successfully.

I switched to lipo in my DX8 after noticing similar problems with the stock one. I've been running it on lipo for well over a year now without a single problem, you just need to remember to change the battery type in the system settings, which should alter the low voltage alarm. I can easily get 3 decent flying sessions before I need to consider a recharge. HK do one a lot cheaper than the Spektrum one I use, but I can't comment on their reliability.

Posted by SmarTmartY on 22/04/2013 06:01:57:
I switched to lipo in my DX8 after noticing similar problems with the stock one. I've been running it on lipo for well over a year now without a single problem, you just need to remember to change the battery type in the system settings, which should alter the low voltage alarm. I can easily get 3 decent flying sessions before I need to consider a recharge. HK do one a lot cheaper than the Spektrum one I use, but I can't comment on their reliability.
I can, and its not favourable
I have now bought the "proper" spektrum version, and its fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris. Thanks for your .spm file which got me on the right track. I've made a few tweaks which I hope to try out tomorrow, the main one is to still have motor operating on spoiler on flight mode 2 so I can go back up to height without changing flight mode. John

• 2 weeks later...
New DX8 Glider update 3.0. Basic glider set up, on a 4 flap wing glider
Basic 4 flap wing glider set up, with 3 flight modes, snapflaps, crow brake , all ailerons, elevator compensation, and flight mode trim,
And where to adjust, explained for dummies.
Cheers
S

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have it operating in the right flight mode but want to asign a kill to flap or aux2 switch.

What do you mean by this ?

If you want to operate the motor on the flap switch, then in wing type set the motor to flaps.

And in next screen (as I recall) you make the last number Black with the curser.... or maybe the first.

And take a look at the monitor..

speedster, that for your video it really helped figure out what i was doing with the glider programming!

i have the motor working in the flight mode i want, it's assigned to the spoilers(aka throttle). i was hoping to program in a mix that will allow the motor to be killed from a different switch so it's not triggered accidentally or on the ground. any unused switch will do. i tried a few different mix methods but couldn't get it right.

thanks

On my DX8, I have the throttle cut on the Gear switch. If that will do for you, here's how I did it.

From the main screen, press the roller and scroll to Throttle Cut. Leaving the Pos at 0%, set the SW to Gear1.

That cuts the throttle when the gear switch is towards you, so that if the switch is nudged when setting it down, it is more likely to move to the cut position.

The monitor display on that screen should clearly show no movement of the throttle bug when the switch is set to off and full range throttle when set to on.

Pete

Or you could make a mix Aux 3 to mot,

On one of my motorgliders I have this mix to reduse the max rpm on the motor.

And this should also could kill the motor.

(My thottle is on the flaps switch)

Take a look at the monitor screen , this is a very good help when programing.

Good luck

Soren.

• 2 months later...
Looking for some more pointers...

I have a v-tail glider with spoilers and motor.

I have been trying to get this set up using plane and glider modes but can't seem to get what I want.

I need rudder and the elevator on right stick.

I need differential adjustment on the tail. I can get this if I set the wing as elevon in plane mode. If set up as v-tail I can't seem to get it.

I also need motor and spoilers on throttle stick with the motor able to be turned off with a switch.