Delta Head

Ray Pinchin

Advert

The delta head in its most simplest form is a way to help spin up of the rotor blades, as you are probably aware the blade has to be able to flap upwards.

What the delta head cleverly does is to utilise this flapping up force at slower RPM's, each blade has seperate hinges which are offset normally by 15 degrees. So when the blade flaps up the nature of its hing position also puts the blades centre line into negative incidence. As the blade gets up to speed this upward flap is reduced as the cone of the blades flattens out. Normally some form of packing wedge is appartent to keep the blade in a slight negative attidude full RPM.

These type of heads use some form of flexible material as the hinge which is sandwhiched between the head plates. Polypropylene or Fibre Glass sheet are the norm for this.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 18/02/2013 20:23:31

Stephen,

Yes it is, I believe (but don't quote me) it was pioneered by Jim Baxter. 15 degrees seems to be the magic angle as it allows goood spin up without too much loss of lift. When i tried the HK head and blades on my Fire Fly the thing didn't float as much, I am sure the standard head kills lift.

I have made a quick sketch of what I have tried to describe, hope it makes sense?

delta head pdf.pdf ii_0001.jpg

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 18/02/2013 23:04:27

Hi Guys.

I have used blade twist with great success ,but these days use a a modest shim angle as the loss of lift on my lightly loaded designs is negligible, and ensures very easy spin up without charging all over the field .

Easy spin up IMO is an essential feature for Autogyro first timers ,but a more critical balance between shims and best performance may be required with heavier models .

Well made blades with no l/e undercut will spin up without shims but may take more time .

Tom.