Flying with falling snow - What happens when you hit a tree at 90mph!!

Tony H

Hi Guys,

I've just got in from a crazy day of flying in on an off snow flurrys, all was going well although I did find the engine was getting harder to start at 1*C, I was having to richen the mix quite a bit. I had a few decent flights although the cold dense air seems to make your plane feel slow and draggy.

On my last flight I was flying as fast as possible out of a dive heading towards me, I could see the plane clearly about 50ft above the ground, when there was a very hard cracking sound as I hit a thick branch of a tall tree! the plane changed rapidly into just shards of balsa (lucky it was one of my old ARTFs), the balsa flew everywhere.

I think it was a optical illusion it looked like I was infront of the trees but actually I flew straight through them from behind them. Still the the engine and electrics all survived.

In cold weather engines actually produce more power. The air intake is denser hence the need to richen the engine. The problem is the thicker airleading to increased drag. Ps- shame about the plane- flew through a tree myself once. It's a wierd feeling because suddenly your perception has to readjust to where the plane actually is!

"It's nothing to do with depth perception. At this time of the year, especially on cold days like to-day, the trees jump up and down to keep warm."

Over here in North Yorkshire they just shiver, shake and complain a lot, but they do have a tendancy to grab out at nice warm ic engines. You're better off flying electric as they can't hear the high frequencies when their ears are covered in snow.

kevinb interactive flora & fauna dept.

Edited By kevin b on 23/02/2013 17:08:33