I blame Phil Green for this

Bob Cotsford

So there I was minding my own business when I came across this ad under ham radio on th evil bay. It was for an ABC MiniSonic transmitter. Having seen Phil's single channel site and his 2.4GHz conversions I took a punt.

still shiny after 50 years.jpg

Not bad for a tenner

still got the batteries in it.jpg

and despite still having the batteries in it there's not much corrosion

i never touched it, honest.jpg

The PCB and switches look perfect, but I'm not even going to try it.

a bit of wiring.jpg

Phil G's encoder hooked up to the original switches

not much in there.jpg

and an FrSky DIY module

finished.jpg

It really is like magic being able to reliably operate a 'compound cascade' R/E/M single channel setup, it definitely helps using modern micro servos with a standard or micro 2.4 receiver. Yep, 3 channels from one button.

Ok , not magic compared to modern proportional, but if you spent your yoof trying to get a successful flight out of valves or germanium transistor technology and rubber bands, it really brings home how iffy radio 'control' really was.

Right, where's my PicoStick for a proving flight while I assemble the shopping list for a Swannee?

Bob, the penny's dropped... You're RobC over in t'other place!

I'm intrigued by the P.C. board in the third pic. Apart from the "abc" id on it, it looks very much like the sort of thing I'd have etched in the 70's, drawing out the tracks with a resist pen or even paint and a paintbrush. I wonder what the technology of the day was for producing the boards? Presumably they were "mass produced" but in relatively low numbers?

I've just had to 'google' PP1, as I don't remember those at all. I do remember using PP6, PP7 and PP9 batteries - all 9v, and seemingly, with a bit of hunting, still available today.

Keep up the good work, I never used s/c myself, but do enjoy reading about the modern incarnations of it!

Hi John, yep, that's me. I've gutted the batteries as I am tempted to line them with balsa and put them back in to create an illusary battery pack.

I had more success with single channel in boats than with aircraft, or at least less terminal disasters. At least it kept me out of trouble! The last straw was watching my newly built Matador with a new receiver and diesel gently circling it's way off across Sutton Colfield.

I'm guessing the pcb was etched but it is very neatly done. The germanium transistors suggest it's pre 70s from what I remember.

Very neatly done Bob and a nice clean 'donor' transmitter too. Far better that these sets are actually down the field "on active service" than stuck in some collectors cupboard!

I've an identical ABC S/C set to yours, boxed and all working in original condition on 27mhz, with its super-regen rx and escapements. I'd love to get hold of an early OS Pixie for conversion though.

Theres a lot of simple pleasure to be had from flying a rudder-only model, and reliable gear means you can do it with none of the worries of the early days. The attention these sets draw in the pits and especially on the flight line is incredible, its really very rewarding. When I'm flying the 2.4g Remcon reeds, people will come up to see what on earth all the clicking noise is!

Incidentally, you're probably well aware of this but you can remove the toggle switch from the FRsky DHT module if you only ever use 2way receivers, makes it slightly less messy. I wish they still did the V8 modules, they were so much smaller & neater.

It would be great if you could follow this up with a flight report and some pics!  Can you believe its exactly 3 years since the veroboard prototype 2.4g S/C set?

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 23/02/2013 23:32:55