Aerotech Int Mosquito t111 71

Advert

Hi Ben,

I've built an 1/8th Spitfire from an old Aerotech Int kit and i must say the kit itself was rubbish. I won it at a club do around 15 years ago, i now understand why the model shop donated it......

The build process was very similar to the link above with lots of foam parts. You would think that would make life easier but not one of the foam bits fit properly, and i had to get a new set of foam wings made because all the cores were different sizes so couldn't be joined without an 1/8" jump between the sections.... Also some of the pre-cut parts were wrong and had to be remade.

That said, the model itself flys lovely and with everything sheeted / veneered foam its a nice base to glass and paint.

spit139.jpg

I truly hope your kit is better than mine, maybe mine was a friday afternoon job. But with some time and effort it should build into a nice flying plane.

Rob

Aerotec kits were rather known more for selling the boxtop label than the contents. The trade stand at shows contained many fine examples of their stock but none flew (at the same shows) that I ever saw. Sadly, many of the reviews published in the mags were from the pen of the guy who was the manufacturer. (Not a high point for those mags that did that)

The propensity is to come out heavy and be an awkward and fiddly build. However, build it with that in mind, -go for finished & scale like rather than trying for museum scale and you are in with half a chance.

If I had the Mosquito kit at not much money, I would build it, put in simple retracts, probably cover in brown paper/pva and put on a light finish and give it a try. More detail can always be added later.

Build thread here essential!

sk

ok thanks for shedding some light on the plane kit/ manufacturer. i never do build threads but i will try my best with this one to do it, the only other thing i have read reguarding them is the link pete put on earlier, i am going to do some web searching to see if there is any other info on them out there mainly only out of interest,

• 6 months later...

hi aerotech kits are a builders kits you just have to take your time,yes most of the parts do not always fit properly but that is what modelling is all about, i have several aerotech planes i.e 2x b25 mitchells,hawker sea fury,mosquito,and they all fly fine as long as you check the c&g and the control throws you will be fine.i know a lot of people slate these kits but i think they aregreat and would not hesitate if someone offered me one for sale .

• 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...