Power8 Workshop

Advert

kc- I can see where you are coming from, however some pastic can be very hard, and strong.

If I do buy one I will be finding a local stockist and having a play first!

My Father in Law has some tools from CEL (same company) and, having used them, they are first rate.

Properly used plastic can be strong enough. But the reason for cast iron on machine tools is to give some weight as well as durability. I am surprised just how much cheap drilling machines have gone up......they have doubled recently and they are nearly back to where they were in 1985!

But you dont really need a pillar drill much in aeromodelling and if it's not already set up ready to go it will never be used. So convertable machines are not worthwhile. A scrollsaw or bandsaw would be handy but not essential but a sort of inverted jigsaw wont be much use ( too hazardous)

Lightweight circular saw benches seem dangerous to me. Unless the base is really heavy the thing will tend to tip and the material catch. I used a Black & Decker circ saw table just once, seemed so dangerous ( lack of weight to resist pushing material in ,lack of access to switch) that it's been unused for 35 years!

Cordless tools deteriorate if not used, and are not always ready charged so mains is better.

KC - a scrollsaw will be purchased, it might be of the type linked to above (free blade jigsaw type) or a 'proper one' It all depends on funding available.

The system above looks clever, as I say until I see one in the flesh, I will not be offering further comment....

I have broadly similar views to KC on this.

I am very cautious with respect to circular saws. When mounted on a table, the guards need to be effective, and as said, the whole lot, rigid and stable. I have noted many threads on this site going to town on the damage propellers can do. Well, circular saws can be far more effective, many more people annually receiving an amputation and or hand disfigurement, than from propellers.

My other concern, is with respect to the portable power pack for the hand drill. From what I have been told and my limited personal experiences, these seldom last much beyond a year or two before becoming goosed, knackered. Replacement packs seem to be far less available, those that are seemed to be priced at the same level as a new tool combination.

" in the flesh" reminds me that proper fretsaw type scrollsaws dont cut your flesh ( much ) They vibrate up and down enough to cut wood but not your flesh - -actually they can just nip you. But you wont cut a finger off unlike with a bandsaw or jigsaw or circular saw. Much safer than inverted jigsaws.

Scrollsaw blade is much finer than jigsaw and is held in tension. Tensioned blades cut much more accurately but they dont cut straight lines as accurately as circular saws. I use an Axminster scrollsaw, the latest version costs 77 pounds now whereas mine cost 93 pounds 20 years ago. Better specification now too. The Titan ( Screwfix) one is similar at 79 pounds but may not have a cast iron table or the fretsaw blade adaptors.. ( pin ended only I think )

I would rather stick to the well known stuff. Besides the plastic - if you have so many set up steps for the circular saw all the play will add up - and you will not have the precision you are looking for. And don't forget about the sawdust - new and clean everything looks nice and easy. When it is full of sawdust this may change.

Prefer my Proxxon - also here a lot of plastic - but the table is massive machined aluminium, I don't need to set up anything - I just lower the blade so I don't cut myself while putting it away. Of course mine is only one machine and not several - but one of the most needed.

VA

Im not being funny but a decent Battery combo drill costs about the same, how can they sell a whole kit without cutting some corners, theres only a single 2.6ah battery, with an hours charging time on the so called "fast charger", and if the one part you use for every different tool breaks your goosed you have nothing. Battery is ok if your out moving around on site and have a few Batteries but Mains powered tools in a workshop are much better