Shopping at Hobbyking UK

I'm offering this post not because I'm promoting HK or anything like that but purely because we hear so much on the forum about folk's woes at using the website to make UK purchases. TBH, I never use the UK warehouse - for me it's the Int, DE or NL - but the system remains the same whichever you use.

I'm not going to say it is easy - it certainly isn't intuitive - but once you've done it correctly, you'll find it so much easier next time. I'm sure I've read of suggestions that the site will be made more user-friendly in time but, until then....you don't get 'owt for nowt, as they say! smile

Now, stick with me, folks - this isn't a one line explanation, which is probably why Hobbyking do not seem to have yet published a shopping guide themselves!

First step is to go to the Home page, logging-in if you are registered - worthwhile, as you soon qualify for reduced prices on some products.

Next, if you wish to see prices in Sterling, go to the bottom left and select GBP from the currency list.

Then select the UK Warehouse from the list on the right.

This will bring up the first of (currently) 56 pages of thumbnails, with the prices in US$.

Now the next step depends on your browser but if you right click on a thumbnail, you can bring that item up in a new tab. I prefer this as it leaves the search page intact.

When your selected item displays, you will see that, whatever the item, the description ends with (UK warehouse) and the price is displayed in GBP.

Now, that is fine if you have all day to browse as the items are randomly listed but that is no good if you are looking for a specific item.

To do this, you need to go to the drop-down menu of category headings on the left of the page.

Select the category you wish to search and it will bring up the contents of that category in list form. Select a sub-category and the page will display the contents.

Browse for the item you want. The next step is MOST important.

The item is only in the UK Warehouse if there is a Union Flag shown in the product list.

To view the item, click on the Union Flag. DO NOT click on the item heading or the 'Buy Now' button. If you click on anything other than the Union Flag, you will be selecting the International warehouse item.

When your item displays in its own page, you will see (UK Warehouse) in a panel at the top of the page and the same at the end of the item header.

All being well, you can then put it in your cart.

I'll say it again: Do not put it in your cart unless it states UK warehouse!

If you inadvertently select an item from a different warehouse to one you already have in the cart, a page will come up to let you know and you can de-select it from your cart.

Checkout when you've done.

I hope this may be of some help, I reiterate - this isn't being done for Hobbyking's benefit - it's for you forumites!

Oh, and please don't tell me it's too complicated - I know!teeth 2

Pete

Advert

I used HK UK for the first time over the weekend, and my order arrived, as promised, first thing Tuesday. Just as good as most other online stores when they have the stock!

To add to Pete's post, I did notice that I had inadvertently selected 2 items from different warehouses, so when I came to check out, it wouldnt allow me - presumably because of the different shipping fees / methods.

One thing I would advise is do NOT select pricing in GBP. I have found that their exchange rate is sometimes unrealistic, giving a significantly lower price than you will actually end up paying after they've billed you in Dollars and Paypal has converted to Pounds when the payment is processed.

I'm guessing from what Scott said in another thread that they use a manually updated figure for that exchange rate, so it may well be that at other times it gives an error the other way round. Either way you're going to be paying in Dollars so I prefer to see it that way all through the process.

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 27/02/2013 12:48:59:

I'm offering this post not because I'm promoting HK or anything like that but purely because we hear so much on the forum about folk's woes at using the website to make UK purchases. TBH, I never use the UK warehouse - for me it's the Int, DE or NL - but the system remains the same whichever you use.

I'm not going to say it is easy - it certainly isn't intuitive - but once you've done it correctly, you'll find it so much easier next time. I'm sure I've read of suggestions that the site will be made more user-friendly in time but, until then....you don't get 'owt for nowt, as they say! smile

Now, stick with me, folks - this isn't a one line explanation, which is probably why Hobbyking do not seem to have yet published a shopping guide themselves!

First step is to go to the Home page, logging-in if you are registered - worthwhile, as you soon qualify for reduced prices on some products.

Next, if you wish to see prices in Sterling, go to the bottom left and select GBP from the currency list.

Then select the UK Warehouse from the list on the right.

This will bring up the first of (currently) 56 pages of thumbnails, with the prices in US$.

Now the next step depends on your browser but if you right click on a thumbnail, you can bring that item up in a new tab. I prefer this as it leaves the search page intact.

When your selected item displays, you will see that, whatever the item, the description ends with (UK warehouse) and the price is displayed in GBP.

Now, that is fine if you have all day to browse as the items are randomly listed but that is no good if you are looking for a specific item.

To do this, you need to go to the drop-down menu of category headings on the left of the page.

Select the category you wish to search and it will bring up the contents of that category in list form. Select a sub-category and the page will display the contents.

Browse for the item you want. The next step is MOST important.

The item is only in the UK Warehouse if there is a Union Flag shown in the product list.

To view the item, click on the Union Flag. DO NOT click on the item heading or the 'Buy Now' button. If you click on anything other than the Union Flag, you will be selecting the International warehouse item.

When your item displays in its own page, you will see (UK Warehouse) in a panel at the top of the page and the same at the end of the item header.

All being well, you can then put it in your cart.

I'll say it again: Do not put it in your cart unless it states UK warehouse!

If you inadvertently select an item from a different warehouse to one you already have in the cart, a page will come up to let you know and you can de-select it from your cart.

Checkout when you've done.

I hope this may be of some help, I reiterate - this isn't being done for Hobbyking's benefit - it's for you forumites!

Oh, and please don't tell me it's too complicated - I know!teeth 2

Pete

Thanks Pete.....but......you could on the other hand:

Log onto your account

go to the front page

go to the "Select Location" tab just under the logo in the top left hand corner

Select United Kingdom

Shop

Once logged in this way, you will only see what is available in the UK Warehouse and you are guaranteed that your purchase will be from the UK Warehouse provided you don't get distracted and go searching for a product that is not available from the UK Warehous......and as you can not order from different warehouses on one order....this should not be an issue.

Now, whilst not blindingly obvious perhaps......it isn't that difficult to use....as I said in another thread, a "Shoppers Guide" will be published soon and we will shortly re-design stuff like the location tab to make it more obvious.

Edited By Scott Cuppello - HobbyKing on 27/02/2013 13:51:47

One thing to watch out is that if you select "UK" and then browse around with several windows opened, if you change over to "EURO" or "GLOBAL" in one window, then when you navigate around those other windows, they will switch over too.

Also when your doing a search, make sure you also select the product in the correct warehouse - some products aren't available in every warehouse. One single product will be listed several times - once for each warehouse its available in.

Three easy ways of knowing which warehouse your ordering from:

• The Product Name will have "UK Warehouse", etc in. If it doesn't have that in, it's from the Hong Kong warehouse.
  • Before you click the Buy Now button on the product, the banner text just above will say the warehouse.
  • Shipping cost at the last stage is another giveaway. If your ordering anything over 1000g, the shipping options should have one at least option under $10.

Si.

Posted by Alex Whittaker on 27/02/2013 14:13:52:

Greybeard said:

"I must admit to being foiled by the foibles of this website in the past such that I cannot now be bothered to master its evident shortcomings"

What a crisp and beautifully expressed comment. Delighful.

Love it, love it, love it!

The word you were searching for is eloquent.........................

I still think my way is easier...

1] Log in

2] Find any item that is listed with the (UK Warehouse) suffix in the item description and add it to your cart.

3] You can then use the search capabilities of the site - browse all the content - but... The site wont then let you add anything from another warehouse until you have either logged out or paid for the contents of the basket.

4] Just remove the item [if you don't want it] before you pay.

In other words - as long as the first item in the basket is from the correct warehouse, everything else will be too.

I've never had any problems ordering from the wrong site. My technical proficiency must be down to my relative 'yooof' wink

Posted by GrahamC on 27/02/2013 16:07:14:

I've never had any problems ordering from the wrong site. My technical proficiency must be down to my relative 'yooof' wink

Nor me, and I'd probably qualify as a 'Silver surfer' if I had enough, so don't go all ageist on me, Graham!wink 2

Believe it or not, I was only trying to explain in words of one syllable...... Anyway,. the good thing is that we're getting a positive airing of the issue and with the simpler method posted on the thread, it should clear things up and no-one will have any excuses in future.......smile

Pete

I have literally just ordered a model from them.

Personally, I had no issues but I can see how you could easily go wrong quickly and it be quite daunting for some! Not mentioning any names.......Pete! wink

Great thread, great site. yes

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 27/02/2013 16:59:02

Edited By Ross Clarkson on 27/02/2013 16:59:13

Posted by Andy Palmer on 27/02/2013 17:03:56:

I don't need an explanation of how to buy from HK, I need one on how STOP buying! smiley

+1

I'm currently on 40 orders in less than a year. I don't dare add it up...

As a business, they've certainly figured out the magic formula! I also wouldn't say its just price that makes me and others keep buying from them either...

(even though of course its a factor)

Si.

I ordered a couple of Lipos that fitted perfectly into my new FMS Zero...they arrived in 3 days, Parcelforce order tracking provided and at a price I couldn't believe (£15 for a 25C 4S 2700). The Lipos arrived perfectly balanced, hopefully will last more than a few cycles. I think as long as you select UK Warehouse from the start you can't go wrong....

By the way, there seems to be quite a difference between postage charges, or was I just unlucky with my combination of items?

I wanted a few tiny 160mAh Lipos, and they have them in stock in the UK for almost exactly the same price. But postage from the UK would be $5.59, whereas postage from Hong Kong only $2.99.

The issue seems to be that you can't select Royal Mail letter post if you're ordering Lipos from the UK, but you can if ordering from Hong Kong (even though the International order is actually delivered by Royal Mail as letter post).