My FW-190

Advert

You found me out 

If I had'nt been in such a hurry to post the pictures I would have edited the wires out, oh well

the plane was built from a plan I found on the internet for a balsa model with IC engine,

it wasnt very good quality and I had to alter it to suit depron / electric construction. I use artists acrylic paints which are available in discount shops and are easy to mix for different colours, then watered down to a milky consistency for brushing or spraying , no smell and quick drying although some colours do not cover too well.

With a light wing loading it is really easy to fly and will still handle a good breeze although it does'nt look very scale like

Glenn

Wingspan is 64" and I build the wings with a 6mm depron spar with a 4mm carbon rod for reinforcing , they seem to be strong enough although the wings do bend when pulling through the bottom of a loop

It would certainly be nice to see more of these models being built so we will see if it can be taken further. I also have a spitfire at 68" span and the same weight and if anything handles better than the FW190 , both planes run well with low budget power systems

there is a short video here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817475 with a mixture of flycam and ground based video taken on different flights

Glenn

Had a quick look and "I take my hat of to you sir" you realy seem to have a handel on the Depron i must admit this is all new to me I have come back to the hobby after about 10 years away and going eclectric this time. But I used built all the time I am amaized how the Depron went round the wings tips almost like a thin covering. Lots of usefull photos in the link you are useing the depron just like balsa but lighter must admit i would like an undercarrage. but well done

like the spit too

Martyn 

Thanks guys, I dont feel that I am doing anything special, just substituting depron for balsa. I find depron much easier to work with than balsa. There are so many ways of forming the shapes you want, I go the most low tec way by rolling the parts over the edge of the kitchen worktop and then forming any compound curves with my fingers.Care needs to be taken with the depron as like balsa it has a sort of grain which allows it to bend much better one way than the other. It is surprising how tight you can bend the 3mm sheet  and while it seems quite flimsy on its own, when built up in a traditional structure it gives you quite a stiff and strong airframe. The main downside is that it is easy to bruise with rough handling.

Glenn

I tried to open your posting on RCGroups, I got the music but no images. I will try again later.

What really matters is that the ideas and techniques are spread to us ignoramuses (whatever). It seems to me that a lot of the performance of the ARTFs., comes from the lack of mass. A lot of the poor handling of many aircraft in the thread "My worst model" comes from an abundance of mass, to make the models rugged to survive, after arriving.

Your approach probably has a lot to teach me. So get writing and photographing for David. and produce some articles.

Regards

Erfolg

That looks great Timbo, I love the prop.Like Martyn I had a lay off from the hobby for ten years or so while I got mixed up with flying full size gliders. I kept in touch only through visits to the nationals at Barkston and the odd mag, RCM&E of course.Then a couple of years ago I saw a video of a design by Steve Shumate  of a depron F15 and I started to realise how far  electric flight had advanced.By this time I had given up the full size through cost  so when I found Steves plans were available free I thought I would have a go.The biggest problem then was sorting out what gear was suitable as all the numbers on the motors and controllers just seemed like mumbo jumbo. The mag had some very useful articles and Robot Birds and BRC were very helpful in making sense of it all . The other big help these days is being able to get advice through the various forums. I had great fun with the F15 and F18 then decided to have a go at something of my own  so I built a 36" Vulcan which flew great once I figured out the trim.After that I wanted to build something that was actually meant to have a prop and just at the right time RCM&E came up with the Tony Nijhuis spitfire. I built that in 6mm depron and that gave me the idea to try 3mm depron with a much larger model.The 68" spitfire followed though I enlarged a different plan which had a more scale fuselage,that lead me on to the FW190 and we are up to date.

Going on from Erflogs comments I dont build a lot of strength into my models as this adds weight and reduces the option to use low cost power systems. While the depron is easy to damage, a such low wing loadings landings are very glider like and low speed, check out the spitfire video to see what I mean   http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674977 the hand launch was my own silly fault as I had managed to dial in some down trim while messing around with the tx

I still think there is room to push the 3mm depron further and I will be starting a new project soon,another Vulcan ,this time at 80" span. I have also printed out a plan for a Dakota at 100" and I want to see how light these can be built.

Glenn

Glen you really need to publish your skills on building with depron and keep us up to date with the Vulcan build i was lucky enough to see the last display with the Vulcan also i was on a RAF exercise in the USA when they used a Vulcan to pretend to bomb an air field being defended by F16 who when the saw the Vulcan guessed it was undefended and an easy target when from under its wings 4 buccaneers appeared and guess who won the competition!

Martyn

Thanks Glenn, and with hindsight I apologise for posting it on your thread - I was NOT trying to hijack the thread, but it was impolite.

Incidentally, the prop took me ages, growing, felling, splitting, then splicing the different woods, and shaping all by hand before the final sealing coats of varnish, home brewed from gelatine and shellac of course

I see it more as sharing Timbo so carry on by all means, its great to see what other people are doing and if my limited Knowledge is of use to anyone else I'm only too glad to try and help.

Great story on the Vulcan Martyn, was that the red flag competition. The Vulcan is still one of my favourite planes and I was lucky enough to be allowed to squeeze myself into the cockpit of the one at Coventry a while back, for such a big aircraft it sure is a tight fit.

I will see if David is interested in doing an article on some of the construction methods with the 3mm depron as I have a lot of pictures from the FW190 build

Glenn