KingSpan ? anyone used it ?

While we have had contractors at work i have come across Kingspan insulation sheets but i can find nothing on the forum search. It appears to be a lightweight resilient foam that doesnt crumble at the edges and i wondered if anyone come across it.

What glue does it accept and how easy is it to work with ?

if its any good the builders will keep a few sheets by for me thumbs up

Advert

A quick google shows that "Kingspan" is a brand name and that they make a number of products.

They do make a product called "Styrozone" which is an Extruded Polystyrene Product, so that should be similar to the generic blue or pink foam. It appears to be available in a number of densities and thicknesses. Depron is also an extruded polystyrene product. So that would be worth a try.

Hoever they also make a Poleurethane foam product. Like the "Celotex" stuff that comes with a foil sheet on one side. This is the brown/yellow insulation. this is not really suitable for model use, and they make a resin based foam, which I wouldn't think is really suitable.

So...

If its the Styrozone product you might well have stumbled on a source of modelling material.

Edited By GrahamC on 01/03/2013 17:47:17

Posted by kc on 01/03/2013 17:11:54:

" nothing lost if it's a freebie" ??? someone might lose their job if they steal a full sheet! Offcuts might be OK.

An over reaction methinks KC. If you read the OP it states 'if its any good the builders will keep a few sheets by for me' Not being party to the situation we do not know what agreement Richard may have with the builders. If it is a freebie, all well and good. If it is a purchase, equally good. I'm quite certain that Richard will not act in a manner which will jepordise someones job. In any case the transaction has nothing to do with us and we chose as individuals to proffer advice on it's usefulness or not, which you don't seem to have done.

The yellow Kingspan insulation with silver foil stuck to both sides (the type usually used for building insulation) is very very soft and not very strong, it is also nasty to work with as the dust gets everywhere and sticks to everything. It tends to crumble if you try and sand it, I tried shaping some offcuts after building an extension on my house a few years ago.

I think it is a type of extruded expanded PU foam (like the spray foam you can get in cans) where the blue and pink rigid foam that model builders use ( and some full size composite planes) is much more rigid and tends to be made from a sort of extruded polystyrene..... but then again I might be wrong.

cheers all. The plan was the builders would keep any half cut sheets for me rather than them being skipped but wolstonflyer has got the right stuff. i have to say it seemed quite firm when i gave it a squeeze but the proofs in the sanding and if its as messy as WF says then i might giuve it a miss

You could use any bits left over to insulate the shed. Or if you sit on a stool to work, make a cushion out of some. You may notice that the builders will usually find a bit to sit on while they have their lunch. I know from experience.

kevinb Builders bum warmer dept.

I think you will find that there are some health issues associated with dust from polyeurethane insulation.

A quick google comes up with "Breathing in polyurethane dust or fumes can be harmful to the lungs, causing respiratory ailments. Filter masks should always be work when applying polyurethane."

Thats from "ehow" here

I'd definately give sanding it a miss!

A few years back one of my clubmates spent a little time in hospital after sanding blue foam in a confined space. I've used a mask and sanded outside whenever using it since.

A tip for sanding foam is to only sand in one direction - lift the sanding block on the back stroke - to stop debris balling and tearing the surface.