Testor McCoy 049

Major

Hi all.

I recently purchased Little McCoy and would like to know some more about it. I've seen some YT videos and they seem to be Cox-like - small but powerfull. I also read some forum topics on RC Groups and people there say not really good things. Does anyboddy have any personal experience with these engines? Any tips?

Here are the photos of it - taken from the listing. I hope that owner will not get mad because I used them.

Testor McCoy 049

Testor McCoy 049

Cheers

Tom

Advert

I believe Testors made quite an assortment of rtf control liners. I vaguely rememder seeing the odd one in shops, though nothing like the variety shown here. I'm guessing many of these were mainly for the home (USA) market?

**LINK**

Edited By IanN on 17/03/2013 14:47:08

Oooo that takes me back John.....might that be from the 1976 KK handbook? The one with an SE5 on the front?? I can remember seeing the Hurricane in Boydells Toyshop in Bolton as a boy in the late 70's & wanting one so, so badly.....didn't they do an all silver one too??

The McCoy engines had a built in spring starter as I recall......you wound the prop "backwards" for a turn or two & that engaged & wound up a spring. Release the prop & the spring spun the engine & it started...you can see it in the exploded diagram to the bottom left of Johns picture....

The handbook isn't actually dated. As far as I can tell it's probably 1973, give or take a year. It's priced at 20p - so no earlier than 1971. It has an Elmira glider on the cover.

Here's the page with the McCoy engine. I'm not sure why the engine was listed as a spare for the Hurricane as invariably it was the plastic model itself that broke. There were loads of second-hand McCoy engines 'available' in those days from owners of plastic Hurricanes after they'd smashed the model.

kkhbkmccoy.jpg

I'm not quite sure why the 'teenage-me' felt it necessary to annotate the handbook with the address of Testors...

There was indeed a Silver Hurricane. It's on the next page to the green one in the handbook. Priced at £8.75 though compared to the £7.18 of the green one. The handbook also listed two Testors-branded plastic c/l models - also McCoy 049 powered. These were the Cosmic Wind Trainer at £9.68 and a silver version at £10.49.

Hi Major ,

I had forgotten what mine looked like before i broken the spring starter and tapped the head to take a glow plug .

Testor .049

Testor .049

I found it to be a good little runner and was tempted to fit it to a new design of mine as i needed extra weight at the front end but decided against it due to the noise .

I have quite a few Cox .049 engines and over the years have flown quite a selection of 1/2A models .The enjoyment factor was huge ! My favourite was a parasol winged 36" kit by Airtronics USA called the Q- Tee with rud/ele . This was powered by a rather tired DC Merlin but flew well as long as lightness was added ! They followed with a mid - wing version called the S - Tee with Ail-ele . In reply to Major's query there are a large amount of plans available from this Website mainly from the late great Bodders ranging back from the days of single channel . To cut to the chase , I must mention that these little beggars - for their size - are very noisy to say the least and might not be welcomed by the locals or members of any club you might fly with . With the advent of micro - gear and the huge advance in electrickery,; why not go that way ? The fuel soaked firewall - the demise of many a favourite model - is a thing of the past . E.C.

Well ........ going back a bit i did a speech on my hobby as part of my school exam .

And i demonstrated the use of that motor in a control line plane i had made and with the aid of a helper shown how the flight was controlled by wires .

And i got an A+ embarrassed

and proved to the teachers that i was good at something even if it wasn`t writing .

Posted by IanN on 17/03/2013 14:43:04:

I believe Testors made quite an assortment of rtf control liners. I vaguely rememder seeing the odd one in shops, though nothing like the variety shown here. I'm guessing many of these were mainly for the home (USA) market?

**LINK**

Edited By IanN on 17/03/2013 14:47:08

I had the P51 in the early 80's. I remember it catching fire (due to leaking tank I think). It was a very cool looking ball of fire for around 2 circuits before I landed and doused the flames.