This forum - Carriage return does not function!!

Mike Hardy

Advert

I have long since given up commenting on the functionality of the forum software ... I think everyone knows it is not the best (I hope I don't get locked up by the forum police for saying that .. over to you BEB et al ...)

However "in the spirit of fun" I will join in this thread and make couple of comments ...

Firstly the forum software really doesn't cut it when compared to every other on line forum I subscribe to  (that is around 7-8) ... but I've given up hoping it will change .... the more time goes by the more difficult it will be to migrate to a more up to date forum software ...

Secondly I'm not a fan of the various IE and MS offerings ... for the last 13 years I havee been a confirmed Apple fan when it comes to financing my own computing needs ... however for work reasons I have to use Windows and IE eveyday

Edited By avtur on 29/03/2013 18:27:58

I'm not sure what you want me to add avtur smile

I don't want to sound complacent - and I certianly don't want to tempt fate! - but all I can say really is I access the forum at least as much as any other user, I use bog standard IE, I do that on at least six different computers (two laptops, a desk top at home, a desk top in my office at work, the computers in the lab and computers in suites at work) and I honestly have no issues.

One of the biggest challenges I have as a mod is that occassionally someone PM's me and says "such and such" isn't working. Of course I believe them - but when I look 99 times out of a hundred it fine for me! It does make "fixing" the problem a tad tricky. I have to fiddle then PM back and ask "has that fixed it for you"?

Now, I've no doubt there is swisher forum software - but the bottom line is I come on here to talk about model aeroplanes and I have to say that for me - it does what it says on the can!

I'm honestly not being smug - or at least I'm honestly trying not to be smug! - but I can only report it as I find it. Many folks critise IE, but the same folks are often (not always - but often) the ones who seem to be having problems. I know that in a ideal world the forum would function seamlessly on any combination of OS and browser - and indeed it does cope surprising well with a wide spectrum. But this is a heritage system now - we have 100's of thousands of posts going back over 6 years. Migration to the latest fad isn't that simple - or cheap!

So, I think we just have to learn to love the old place as she is - warts and all. But in my experience you'll see a lot fewer warts if you use IE!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 29/03/2013 19:03:41:

I'm not sure what you want me to add avtur smile

BEB

Hopefully nothing!

Joking apart, I'm sure that being a forum mod, owner, operator, organiser et al can be quite demanding; resulting in a range of feelings between frustration and satisfaction.

The value of forums brings an enormous benefit to any sort of hobby interest (scope of interests is too wide to even contemplate describing). The ability to share lessons learned and ask for help and advice from a community of similarly interested folk is an amazing step forward from days gone by.

I know how much I have benefitted from receiving responses to questions I have asked as well as seeing responses to other peoples questions … forums have really been a game changer.

So thanks to any and all involved in maintaining this forum …