Is this a suitable power supply for my charger?

Ashnook

Advert

As Martin says, box it and then put a cooling fan in the case, air entry one end, exit the other. Use a 12v pc fan and run it off the power supplies own output. It need only be a small (50mm square) fan, doesn't have to be huge just move a steady flow of air.

Are you happy working with 240v AC? It's a nice cheap PSU but it has exposed terminals so really you should put it in an enclosure with a vent or fan and make sure the mains lead going to it has some kind of strain relief so it can't be pulled out.

Im interested to see how you get on. my concern would be that It might not have the cleanest output. Other sources are an old atx power supply (maplin had new ones for £22 last week) A supply from a bricked PS3 or Xbox. There are plenty of threads on the net giving advice on how to use these for that purpose.

Browsing this am, the new topics, i stumbled across this one...

Forgive my ignorance, my dad has loads of old pc tower units and broken PStations etc. GrahamC you say these can be used as a power supply for chargers? I just see the piles of pc's as junk! surprise so the atx units can be reused? I suppose they give a clean supply of 'electrical stuff' to the charger?

• 2 weeks later...