Hangar 9 Katana

Advert

Posted by Mark a on 23/03/2013 19:13:35:

I've just got myself a Hanger 9 Katana 50 size and i'm wondering how to power it. All my current aircraft are ic powered and i have a spare sc 91 fs to fit in it would this engine be ok ?. If i go down the lecy route it would mean great expence buying motor, esc, batteries etc but would lecy be better as i'll only be doing mild 3d and aero's.

Your thoughts gents please.

Mark.

I'm not an IC flyer, but the big advantage of electric for aerobatics (in my mind) is having a constant CoG during the flight, rather than starting nose heavy with a full tank and gradually having the weight shift backwards as the tank empties. Would have thought it would assist precision

• 10 months later...

Which way did you go on this Mark?

I've had the H9 Katana 50 in my garage for 6 months, time to start fitting it out for this year I think.
I fancy trying the Evolution 10cc in it as most of my models are electric, including my large H9 Funtana 125G

With it being petrol I should get longer flying times, cheap to run and can keep going all day. Fly, land, refuel, fly, land, refuel, fly, land, refuel.....

Edited By Allan Bowker on 27/01/2014 18:27:16

Posted by Allan Bowker on 28/01/2014 12:26:44:

Interesting that you got yours in a 46 size airframe though, I've been hesitating over if it will have enough power or if I needed the 15cc brother.

Not really, it's what the septics refer to as a 'small block' 60 - ie a standard 46-53 size crankcase.  Interestingly I replaced the 12oz glow tank with a 6oz tank, 1100 LiFe pack and the ignition unit all in the tank bay.

I can't remember which US site it was but Pete Bergstrom from HH US stated it was equivalent to their 55 glow when using it's torque to turn larger props(13", but had less HP so was not so good on smaller props (11"?)

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 28/01/2014 15:53:59

As the Evolution 10cc was marketed specifically with the H9 Meridian, I thought a comparison was in order between the two airframes:

comparison.jpg

On paper they seem very similar, the only thing I'm having trouble comparing is the 2-stroke 10cc gas against the 4-stroke 14cc gas in the table. As a 4-stroke is not as powerful as the 2-stroke, I'm purely guessing that the 4cc difference evens them up like for like.

I really think 15cc is the way to go as the katana is a 3d model and having power in reserve is what you want.The meriden is only a sport flyer and as such only needs the power of the 10cc.

hangar 9 recommendation of .46-55 glow 2stroke has been tried and tested by many on rc groups and all reported having to add nose weight and being underpowered and they changed to .60 even .90 size glows thats why i used the dle 20 which is loads of power.my clubmates katana flys well on the 15cc but would struggle with less power.

Posted by Hangar 9 nut on 29/01/2014 16:12:53:

Four stroke all the way it will pull the Katana vertical I doubt if the 10cc gas will ! Horses for courses Allan it all depends on the performance you want from the airframe and also the four stroke will be more pleasant to the ear !

Are you suggesting a 4 stroke glow or the 14cc 4 stroke petrol (can't bring myself to say "gas" dont know) which I presume will have good torque?

My two pennyworth....

I have a Sebart 50E Katana converted to IC using the conversion kit. It is designed for 50 size two strokes if IC is the chosen power option.

I originally fitted an OS 55AX two stroke which was fine but a friend advised me that there was space enough in the cowl to fit an OS75 AX two stroke and I did!

160+ flights later I wouldn't change a thing - having that power in reserve is fun fun fun!

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyones input on this, looks like I need to buy the Evo 15cc.

Unfortunately there seems to be a shortage of them for the next few weeks, while we wait for a shipping container to arrive to the UK.

I love the new EFI technology Evolution have released, although not yet available for the 15cc (62cc only) it will be just my luck they do release it a week after I buy my engine.

• 1 month later...

I got a fantastic buy at yesterday's great southern model auction, a Hangar 9 Katana fitted with an OS 55 AX both new never flown & the motor has not yet seen fuel.

I also have a new in the box pumped OS 91 four stroke so my dilemma is do I fit the 91 or leave the 55 in???

Decisions Decisions, if I fit the 91 I would put the tank back over the C of G.

Posted by Hangar 9 nut on 25/03/2014 00:08:54:

Fit the 91 I have katana with Laser 80 its great!

I am tempted especially as the engine is pumped allowing me to move the fuel tank back. 

Edited By Justin K on 25/03/2014 18:08:16