More computer confusion.

After two years a change of computer and a house move I am trying to install my Cyberview film scanner (USB) without success. I did have it working on my old computer but cannot remember how it was done. I have CD and full instruction book. Briefly the instructions are vague as to whether there is one CD or two. I have looked and I certainly have had only one (unless I lost one in the move).

Firstly I have to install TWAIN or Plug -in software from a CD (not really clear which CD)

Then I have to use their CyberView X-SF CD to install the driver.(This is the CD that I do have). I have followed their instructions time after time but can find nothing in the on screen instructions that follows the information in the paper instructions.

I have emailed the manufacturer twice in the last month but heard nothing.

It would be a great help if anyone knows know if I have lost a CD for a start. Thanks.

Edited By Chris P. Bacon on 31/03/2013 10:40:16

Advert

A USB device does not need drivers,you need to know what operating system your pc is then go to web site Ken gave link for select software and drivers (I know it says drivers but humour them ) download for your operating system.It is unlikely that the CD 's you have will work now being out of date . Give it a go it should be ok

I give up!

I have downloaded the 3600 driver from the German site, carried out instructions on turning scanner on etc. Scanner cannot be found. But I seem to have the 1800 dpi scanner driver installed instead of the 3600.

Windows cannot detect the driver or find it on the internet and the Pacific Image download page is under construction.

Not wasting another afternoon, so it's down to the charity shop on Tuesday

Chris, two weeks ago I bought a film scanner from Aldi for £30. It was on special offer but you may find some still available, might be worth getting the phone number of customer services from the web site, they're really very helpful. The scanner is actually a 5 Megapixel camera, and has done a pretty good job on some very old slides, and is very quick. Yesterday afternoon I scanned and sorted some 400 slides in a couple of hours. At current rate of progress I'll put it on e-bay in a couple of weeks!

Posted by Chris P. Bacon on 01/04/2013 08:44:15:

Phil, I'll watch out for it!face 4

Does the above mean that this scanner (or type of device) cannot be used by a computer user who is not connected to the internet? Seems odd.

No, it's a standalone device, what makes you ask that? The only reference in my message to the internet is the suggestion that you should check the Aldi web-site. Did another 400 last night, the stack is decreasing slowly.cheeky

Just found it, it was only a week ago, my alzheimer's must be really bad!

**This**  is the device I'm using.

Edited By Phil Brooks on 01/04/2013 09:20:05

Edited By Phil Brooks on 01/04/2013 09:24:13

Hi Chris,

Here is what I'd do. Firstly remove all previous related scanner software from your computer. Download a fresh copy from the manufacturers website. Make sure you download the correct version for your OS and processor. Make sure your scanner is disconnected from your computer and start the install. You may get a message to connect the scanner during the setup, if not connect scanner after the install and after a few seconds the device should be recognised. If not you may have a faulty scanner.

Best of luck.

The problem is that the manufacturers website is 'under construction'. And they don't reply to emails.

I have tried to download a driver from the German site that may or may not be for my scanner, (3600) but when I have downloaded it, it is labelled as the 1800 version which is why I have given up.

Note you need to make sure the drivers you are downloading are suitable for the computer operating system you are using, i.e. windows XP drivers may not be compatible for Windows 7 or 8. If it's an old discontinued device the manufacture may not have devloped drivers for the later operating systems.

Posted by Chris P. Bacon on 01/04/2013 15:41:27:

The problem is that the manufacturers website is 'under construction'. And they don't reply to emails.

I have tried to download a driver from the German site that may or may not be for my scanner, (3600) but when I have downloaded it, it is labelled as the 1800 version which is why I have given up.

It appears that the 3600 and 1800 refer to the dpi. Its highly probable that the software is the same for both. You just have to be sure that you have the right version for your OS and CPU. Example Windows 7, 32 bit.