Advert

Thanks Guys, this is the only instruction on the plan.

"IMPORTANT The correct wing washout is produced by fixing the lower sheeting first. The wing is placed on the building board with the lower surface in contact along the entire length in the proximity of the main spar The sub TE is jigged on tapered supports 3/8" at R1 3/16" at R17 1/8" at R28." (where R1 is root and R28 is tip)

Perhaps this indicates that the wings are indeed built upside down! But it certainly not clear!

I can't make much sense of those instructions. Many years ago, I owned a share in an ASW20L and something in the back of my mind is suggesting that there might have been a change in wing section towards the tip to reduce tip stalling.

A little research hasn't confirmed this but I did see a reference to Mike Trew using full size sections for some of his model designs.

Washout in gliders does have some disadvantages in that it creates a large twisting force at high speed which can limit VNE so possibly this would be a way to reduce this? (just thinking out loud)

Have you approached the publisher to see if Mike is still around and contactable? The horse's mouth would be a good place to start - or perhaps see if you can contact the author of this build log who had obviously got to the lower sheeting phase...

P.S. Not relevent to the query but while I was having a quick poke about I came across this really well produced video of another Mike Trew design being flown - worth a look in my opinion....