Spektrum DSMX/DSM2 Compatability

Bob Bertram

Hi Folks,

Having just started in R/C I bought myself a new DX6i which is DSMX, complete with an AR6210 Rx and satellite Rx. I have also acquired an older DX6i Tx which is DSM2, to use as a buddy box trainer with the new Tx as master. Anyone have an idea whether this set up will work ok.

Cheers

Bob

Advert

DSMX is backwardsly compatable so you can use either DX6i with the receiver BUT you will only be using DSM2 if one of the components is DSM2. Make sense?

In fact if you use the older DX6 on lead as the 'slave' it will communicate with the other TX, not with the receiver, so the link will be DSMX.

If you dont have one, a mono [it MUST be mono] 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio lead can be had from Maplins and will make a perfectly serviceable buddy lead. The last one I bought was about £5

• 2 months later...

Orange Rx's only use the DSM2 protocol, so they won't work on DSMX. However the Tx will default to DSM2 to provide the backward compatibility, to include earlier Spektrum Rx's as well as Orange.

Apart from a couple of 9-channel Orange Rx's which just haven't worked for me, all my other Orange Rx's have proved rock-solid, just as reliable and with equivalent range to the Spekky products on my DX8.

Pete

DX7s... Hmmm that's interesting.

I would say that since upgrading from a DSM2 DX6i to a DX7s that the orange receivers don't seem as rock solid with a DX7s. I'm also not the only person in the club who has had issues with orange receivers which worked fine before and then seemed less reliable with a DX7s.

Its interesting that Orange have gone to the trouble of upgrading the 610 and adding a second antenna. I have two of the new 615's on my desk, but havn't tried them yet. It will be interesting to see.

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 02/07/2013 22:55:47:

Orange Rx's only use the DSM2 protocol, so they won't work on DSMX.

Do try to keep up at the back there!

Orange DSMX receivers have been available for a while. But all this protocol talk is unrelated to the question, which was about buddying! (to which the answer is yes!)

Cheers

Phil

cheeky Hi Bob I have both the dsm2 and dsmx spectrum ds6i and have had no problems i also use the dsm2 as the slave tranny and have had no problems as an added i have recently purchased the DSMX orange RX with saterlite and bound it to my ds6i dSMX tranny and while the DSMX orange is an 8 channel rX it works Great with my 6 channel TX it also binds with the dsm2 TX as well but will only be dsm2 tec

ray

Posted by Phil Green on 03/07/2013 00:18:52:.

Do try to keep up at the back there!

Orange DSMX receivers have been available for a while.

Ah, caught bang to rights, Phil! embarrassed Things do move quickly in this game......smile

Actually, my recent 'Oranges' have been 'Lemons' - and very good they are, too!teeth 2

Pete

Just as a casual observation, there have been other threads in the past regarding the Spektrum buddy lead. I’m of the opinion that the problem, (if you have one!) is simply a mechanical one, related to the actual mono plug connection. We examined this a long time ago.

Recently we’ve been using a number of transmitters, DX4, 5, 6, 7 and 8, plus a Graupner MX16, together with 6 buddy leads, 2 homemade, 2 Maplins mono leads and 2 authentic Spektrum/JR leads. Most use is between a number of DX6i transmitters.

The mono plug consists of the sleeve, the long metal part, and the tip, the sleeve being the positive connection and the tip negative. This is slightly unconventional, but not entirely so, usually the sleeve would be negative. We found that when we used any lead other than the official one, on the DX5 that the sleeve was not quite long enough to make proper contact within the socket, and this resulted in an intermittent or no connection between transmitters. I suspect it might be the same on the DX4, but I’ve not checked. However, we’ve had no problems whatsoever with any other combination of leads and transmitters. So I think that any advice I might offer would be that if you have a DX4 or 5 as part of the combo then for best results use the Spektrum lead, but with any others it’s not so important. Colloquially the term ‘jack’ is often used to mean or describe these various plugs and sockets; and as another point of interest, I’d consider that all Spektrum and probably JR and Graupner transmitters are compatible with each other, regarding buddying.
The stereo plug, as Dean said, obviously works ok, provided the contacts make on the sleeve, the third contact point on the plug, the ring, is not used. Also my AR500 receiver has been impeccable, all the Spektrum problems our members had were related to the switch on the transmitter; and just to add to the confusion when I specifically check it, it drops out, or ceases to work, in other words, a ‘brown out’, at 2.7 volts, which is 0.1 volt below at which a 35 MHz receiver refuses to carry on receiving, at 2.8 volts.

Of course, all this only applies to our kit, others may find it happens differently, but it might be a reasonable starting point.

Hope this is of some use.

PB