Thyroid problems

bouncebounce crunch

Any of you lot come across this -hypo Thyroid illness/disease, as my cook/nurse/ better half, has been suffering with this for a while and i have had to drop my tools a chip in more than usual. firstly pills are the order of the day to stabilise with radiation a probability, then as a last resort, removal. glad the doctor was so clinical in his explanation but more grateful that they found out what was wrong with her. might get back to some building and flying soon.

Advert

I'm sorry to hear that BBC ,my brother was born without a thyroid it was not detected until 6mths of age at that time he was given thyroxin it took a number of years to stabilize but unfortunatly he remains severley mentally impaired of course that will not be the case with your good lady, I can only suggest you read as much as you can about it so you understand what she is coping with, am i to understand she is slowing down in all aspects i.e an underperforming thyroid. in which case it can usually be stabilzed, I sincerely hope she gets better. God Bless her.

martian

Hello BBC, I live in a village which was badly affected by the Chernobyl fallout in the mid 80`s. Within 100 yards of my place I have 2 neighbours who have had thyroid removal, and another 2 who are on hypothyroid pills. Everybody here grows their own veg., which might be a clue. My old dog got the same condition just 18 months after moving here.

However, with the treatment, all of my neighbours are living healthy, active lives. My dog was young when he became affected, but with the pills lived on into a normal old age.

When these things hit , it seems like the end of the world, but often it`s just another inconvenience.

Best wishes to your missus and yourself

Sandy

My mother had a thyroid issue, for which she took pills.

Not being flippant, so does our ( will you just take care for a week) cat. In his case it is over active, requiring a blood test every 6 months. It is more of nuisance than anything else ( and quite an expense no NHS).

So hopefully not the end of the world type situation, which we all fear when an illness is confirmed.

hi BBC

i have hypo-thyroid it can be a sole destroying illness and from the outset it looks like there's nothing wrong with you. mine came to light from a sudden gain in weight that was not related to the amount i eat. i look like I've been a salad dodger all my life BUT i'm not a huge eater and i ear relatively healthily but the hypothyroid is the root of the problem. there is lots of information availiable on the internet about the problem i would if i were you spend a little time researching. the majority of the research is done in the USA and they seem to have a better handle on the illness that the NHS who will look for the cheapest option for treatment and tend to treat the illness and NOT the patient. my advice is keep on it and be a pain to the Dr it seems to take a fair bit of pressure to get them to move on everything.

I have even been to see the endochronologist he was reasonable but none will take the bull by the horns and they all seem to steer away from expensive treatments some of which are better than the generic treatment given by the NHS

steve

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/04/2013 21:48:39

My mum had throat cancer which resulted in Christies (amazing place and people) removing the thyroid from the LH side of her neck (aged 80). So far, she has recovered well from it although the radio therapy treatment was very exhausting for her and resulted in a prolonged stay. Needs tablets and a quarterly blood and C checkup but apart from that she is doing fine (83 next month).

Good luck, I hope she gets back in the kitchen soon.

BW

Martyn

My best friend's wife has hypo-active thyroid. Probably for about 10 years now.

She's done very well on it as a whole though there are times when medication has had to be changed/adjusted. Menopausal hormone changes seem to produce difficulties in getting the medication right.

I think she would say that it was a relief once she was diagnosed and that apart from some of those troublesome times it's not been as big drama as she thought it might be. It was a nightmare feeling so ill and fatigued before treatment.

I hope that's the only treatment you wife will need too - it often is as I understand it.

Best wishes to your good lady.

Edited By Ian Jones on 26/04/2013 14:18:53

I've got loads of patients with hypothyroidism. Usually very straightforward problem and often patients are happy to have it diagnosed because it explains why they feel so lethargic and they feel so much better when they're on treatment.

Please bear in mind there are many forms of hypothyroidism! The fact that radiation and surgery are being mentioned suggests it is not the commonest form (which is called autoimmune hypothyroidism).

Feel free to PM with any Q's if you don't want to ask them in the public forum.

BBC if it's any help, my better half had to have the radiation a few years ago. In her case the thyroid was over active beforehand and she had tablets first.

The radiation took the form of a radiactive iodine tablet tailored to her needs, I think because iodine tends to congregate in the thyroid. For a short period,none of the family were allowed within a few feet of her, which the kids struggled to understand.

After a little while though her tests showed it had gone slightly underactive. So she's been on mild tablets for that ever since. Apparently that is an improvement, as it's far easier to manage. She has had no symptoms at all for years now.

Good luck with it.
Best wishes
Chris

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 26/04/2013 16:20:04:

BBC if it's any help, my better half had to have the radiation a few years ago. In her case the thyroid was over active beforehand and she had tablets first.

The radiation took the form of a radiactive iodine tablet tailored to her needs, I think because iodine tends to congregate in the thyroid. For a short period,none of the family were allowed within a few feet of her, which the kids struggled to understand.

After a little while though her tests showed it had gone slightly underactive. So she's been on mild tablets for that ever since. Apparently that is an improvement, as it's far easier to manage. She has had no symptoms at all for years now.

Good luck with it.
Best wishes
Chris

Chris,

My mum had just the same thing happen her in her late 70's. Although she had to take tablets daily after her iodine tablet, her health was vastly improved (after a period of stabilisation), and she lived happily for many years afterwards.

tim