Help needed getting a header pipe to a cannister exhaust

Allan Bowker

Well Guys & Gals, I need your collective wisdom on this one as my LMS seems to be a bit vague on ideas.

I purchased a header pipe and cannister for my lovely Mintor 38cc but getting them to line up seems a bit more difficult than I had imagined.

The only options I have in mind at the moment is to find a local expert to bend the 'very solid' header pipe or perhaps some sort of 'flexible silicone joiner' that "the heli guys" use to minimise vibration (according to the Area51 leaflet that came with the exhaust.

Please take a look at the video, perhaps you can give me a better idea?

I can appreciate that all models are different and it would be impossible to make a swan neck header pipe for all models.

Advert

I think you need someone with a blowlamp and a suitably sized pipe bender Allan. It looks too far out of line to use a silicon joiner. There doesn't look a lot of clearance at the rear of the cylinder head so it needs the rear, straight, section offsetting using an S bend to line up with the can without changing the radiused section around the head.

Thanks for the answers so far guys.

I will check out Just Engines, hopefully I can get them to view the video too.

I was told that the metal bendy pipe stuff doesn't seal well and I'd be better steering clear of that idea (only one persons opinion) I will have a look on the Mick Reeves site.

This manifold will definitely need heat to move it, it's very solid. Even the length it currently is, it does not give any more than 1mm.

Ok, Bodget & Co are in the house - make one V cut from the top of the straight section 1" from the radius and another V cut from the bottom halfway along the pipe, bend it to line up and sleeve the whole thing in silicon or teflon tube. Not pretty but it might work and might not burn through too quickly.

Otherwise get it bent properly. JE or Weston UK might do it for a moderate charge, ask them, they're both very approachable.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 30/04/2013 10:38:39

i have just had another idea, simalar to bobs in that it involves cutting the pipe in two places so that you can bend it upp and across to get the pipe and thecannister lined up, then weld up the joints, it will be much stronger and more heat resetand then silicon tube. then the gap between the pipe and the cannister should be inline making it alot more easy to fit a silicon pipe to fill the gap.

chris

It doesn't look like it has far too go to line up. Personally I would heat the final bend, insert a rod down the end of the header tube and gradually tease it in to alignment. Join the header and can with the heat resistant silicone joining tube. I use the stuff from Just Engines to join my headers and tuned pipes. I've not known it to burn through.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Allan, not sure whether you have managed to get this sorted, but i am facing a similar problem with a 60cc in my 27% extra 260 - i bought the engine from Kings Lynn models and they reckon that Weston have a guy who can make you a custom header but he'll need the dims.. I got a diagram from Mintor's website which they themselves use to manufacture custom headers: **LINK** I'd recommend that you get a proper one made though - if you have spent the time and money on such a nice plane then a few bob more on a proper piece of kit is acceptable? Owen

• 3 weeks later...

Well after a few weeks, I've finally got it sorted.
A local metal fabricators altered the manifold and canister for me.

Kendrick Sheet Metal Ltd
Cradley Heath
West Midlands

They did a top notch job, well priced and a fast turnaround, couldn't be more pleased.

I found out that these Area51 Mintor exhausts are made by Weston UK , so you might as well buy direct from them or try ProBuild or Just Engines as alternative sources.

Unfortunately for me they are all down in the very South of England and wasn't worth the expense of the trip for me on this occasion, however my local metal fabricators were very helpful.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 06/06/2013 16:45:53