Red zephyr

Comper

I've been building the Ben Buckle red zephyr since Jan

Built this kit 35years ago so I thought I would build it again for old times sake.

The kit came up short on the strip I found it was short of around 6 major pieces for the fuz. I rang Colin Buckle and we sorted this out , now I am also building two more of these kits as a project with the local ATC to show the Cadets how to build a model aircraft my idea is to be around 4weeks ahead of the Cadets to iron out any problems. We also found a shortage of wood in the other two kits .Last week I started the wing and found the ribs did not fit so I had to alter all the ribs in my kit so I guess the ribs in the other kits are the same . I hate to knock traditional kit makers but any one with no experience of traditional kit building would b stuck with these kits , so please Colin try to sort out your kits . They are basically good kits but need sorting out as they could put people off and send them off to buy yet another boring ARTF . Then the builder will never know the thrill of building and flying a model they have built and tha satisfaction that brings .

Advert

Seems the years have not improved the quality, I (eventually) managed to construct a 'Red Zephyr' many years ago from a Buckle kit. I replaced much of the kit content and worked from the plan to replace many ribs, formers etc., the supplied components were way out.

Regret to say I found similar issues last year with the Buckle 'Mini Super' kit.

I accept paper plans can shrink, wood similarly but I gave up in frustration at the major discrepancies of fit and quality. Made my own kit from graded selected wood AND, found an original 'Mini Super' plan to work from, again a major improvement.

A great pity as the range of plans and kits has super potential as one of the few sources for these types of model. A touch of 2013 CAD drawing and CNC kitting would work wonders.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, how does this company stay in business? There has been so much chat on this forum about the lack of customer service and the poor quality of their kits ( shortage of balsa etc ) I can only assume that us modelers are a very forgiving bunch.