Giant Shark Selling Galaxy Models Kits

Advert

Ahhh!! Good point lol, from what I have heard about buying from myhobbystores direct it may be a quicker service to buy from Giant Shark.

I think I did hear somewhere Giant Cod was bought by myhobbystores and made into Giant Shark.

Edited By Tony H on 21/05/2013 23:58:18

• 3 weeks later...

Very critical reviews.
The Magician kit I bought from Galaxy shortly before they closed was
of good quality & none of the criticisms of it in that review would apply -
slightly thin cowl possibly excepted.
Why the apparent drop in quality?- are they currently being made by the
same people?

Assuming they are the same plan & instructions as supplied in previous
Magician kits then the reviewer's harsh comments on these are
inappropriate.
It's a nicely hand drawn, accurate plan & the instructions are concise
and clear.

The reviewing bloke sounds like he has an axe to grind.

Edited By Richard Wood on 12/06/2013 13:07:46

John, it depends what the "reviewers" are used to. I built a Magician a couple of years ago and it's a very old-school kit, probably unchanged from the 80s. However, it was cheap (around £60 delivered, don't know the current price) and flies brilliantly. They're probably not suited to the inexperienced builder, but I enjoyed buiding mine and converting it to electric power, which is a great success.

I will temporarily come back for another post after spotting this.

The reviews are not good! As many of you will know I built a Galaxy Domino, actually from the shop itself, and it was superb. Even the bits I didn't use were of fine quality, and the wings were superb. The instructions were not great and I have seen better plans, but it posed no problems as a second build. Yet the review on the site is terrible, which tells me that something is wrong, especially as once built this is a brilliant aeroplane on a 70 four stroke, and I cannot think of a better sports plane.

Pegasus models make a selection of kits, I've just started a Jester, which includes some of the kits that Galaxy made such as the Magician and some different ones, like the Jester (basically a smaller, simpler Domino). From my experience these are of the same fine quality as the Domino, I've just been glueing leading and trailing edges on finely crafted foam wings, and the balsa is lovely. Tony H has some build logs on here of them.

So for the Galaxy ones, something needs to be done if they are not of sufficient quality. They are brilliant designs and fly very well, but they need to be decent quality to sell. The Pegasus ones are great, but I'd like to see the Galaxy ones being great too, especially the Domino.

Back to quietness and building!

CS

Posted by Geoff Jackson on 12/06/2013 13:17:46:

Also be interested to know what happened to the Galaxy Mustang?

Still available. Its on the myhobbystore website (or whatever they're called these days) plus I'm pretty sure I also saw it advertised in the latest mag

Having read CS's post above (welcome back!) I realised that in my earlier post I forgot to mention that all the foam decking and wings were of excellent quality and a perfect fit. The balsa supplied was just right, apart from the tip blocks which were like oak, but at least once carved they are rugged! I just wanted to convey that the degree of prefabrication is far less than a modern laser cut kit. The instructions and plan could be a bit better too, but the same can be said of some modern kits and ARTFs. I still rate the value for money and flying characteristics as excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

Galaxy Models Aquarius Kit, I got this and if I had seen the three reviews by the same person first, I would not have done so.

Reviews are there to benifit us all, but still caveat emptor, having got the said model I felt it was both imperative and urget to do a review, please find here .

I have now stared the kit and yes there is an issue with some of the wood/mouldings but the average modeler should over come these minor problems.

I stand by what I said for the money OK.

David