EDF jet, setting up

Hi I am setting up a new EDF jet I have a spectrum DX 8 and binding it with a AR6200, on my first set up so I could mark up the leads i binded it with a normal 6v battery, and all worked perfect of course except the throttle so I removed all the leads and rebinded using the battery and set up with the speed controller, all binded OK throttle up perfect, then i connected all the other lead Elevator, ailrons etc and nothing the servos did move but to one postion then nothing, I rebinded it and again the same? im lost as i rebinded it with a normal battery and all servos worked perfect, re binded again via 4 cell 2200 battery and speed controller again throtle perfect but all servos dead?

HELP

Advert

It sounds like it could be a problem with the ESC BEC system not providing enough power to the Rx to operate the servos, the ESC provides it's own internal power to the electronics and then power to the Rx, but it maybe that when you try and put any load on it, it cuts out.

Check the lead from the ESC to the Rx to make sure it is making good contact, if you could also measure the voltage at the Rx with the ESC and servos hooked up that would let you know if the voltage is holding up under load. Also is the BEC in the ESC rated for a 4s lipo.

Hi there thanks for the reply, just to confirm the manual states 14.4v 4 cell 2200 25c min nine are that 20c-30c which should be more than enough power to fire up the servos and fan? i did notice that the lights on the RX where not right when i conected the other leads, Im going to try another channel on my radio later to see if that helps ??? problem is im not really an electric guy and a bit confussed with volt etc.....

Hi David,

These things are best taken step-by-step. Looking at your album, you seem to have IC sorted, so I'm assuming you're no novice. Can you give us an idea of how familiar you are with the DX8 and binding, as I don't want to be 'teaching granny to suck eggs'!smile

What's the model? What ESC is it? How many servos?

You mention the lights on the Rx are not right. Does that mean you haven't got a solid light on the Rx and satellite when bound?

Pete

Hi there thanks for the kind mail, Im ok with the DX8 binded many models i have both IC and and electric models (parkzone ect) not 100% sure on the ESC but its a durafly vampire, with retracts, as i said i binded it with a standrd palne battery first just to make sure all the servos work and i marked up the leads, when i binded the rx again via the correct batter lipo 4 cell the ESC in bat and throttle in throtle it works perfect, then i pop in the other leads and nothing all they do is the horn move fully to one end of the servo and stop, the retracts dont even move? wuth the lights it binds as it should the only issue is when i connect the other leads the lights on the rx fade?

David, I don't think you have a problem with binding or anything like that but with the power supply to the Rx from the ESC, one thing I've had in the past is a poor connection on the main battery power plug to ESC plug, but if that was the case then this would show up when you tried to run the motor.

if you battery can run the motor then it will have no problem with the servos, but if the BEC circuitry in the ESC can't provide sufficient volts/amps back to then Rx then that will "brownout" when you cycle the servos.

Basically the BEC (or battery eliminator circuit) in the ESC takes the flight pack voltage (16.8v fully charged in your case) and regulates this down to 5 to 6v for the Rx and servos, this will have a limit on the amount of amps it can deliver if it gets overloaded or is faulty then it will probbaly just go off and sulk.

If you have a battery checker for your IC models, plug that into a spare channel on the Rx, it should stay in the green when all your servos are being fed from the ESC via the Rx throttle connection.

It's just a thought but it seems some of these Vampires may have a separate UBEC for power supply, rather than the ESC/BEC in one unit.

Just to confirm, if you have the combined unit, all three wires from the ESC to Rx plug should be present.

If you have a separate UBEC, the ESC to Rx plug should have the red middle wire disconnected and connected to the throttle pins. The UBEC plug, with just a red and black/brown wire, should be connected to the Batt pins on the Rx.

Sorry if this is a bit simplistic - difficult to get it over clearly sometimes!

Pete

Hi . Fit an opto ESC with a seperate BEC unit . It sounds as if your unit is duff. Another advantage of the seperate units is that if the ESC overheats you still have control over the model . How do I know this ? Early on I lost a loverly little model due to the ESC overheating circuitry shuting the unit down to protect its-self . What it didn't do was protect it from crash damage smiley.Actually it didnt damage in the crash and when cooled down was fine again but I dumped in a box as un reliable Opto units can be found quite cheaply on the net as can the BEC units .