SAS Fusion 46 is dead

Sorry if my reply caused confusion Noba, mine is a 60" (i've got a bigger one than you!)smile p, so construction may be slightly different but Phil hit the nail on the head, it's safe to ignore the slot in the bottom of the wing!

Rentman, Thats one of my favourite book's!!!wink

CB

Advert

All sorted then shall start the build monday when my fiu is finished.

Rentman thanks for the info on the book enlightened not read that one am reading "There,Their,They're" at the moment but you did make i laugh.The wildthing will not beat my cygnus in very heavy weather but should be far better for close in fun flying thanks to all for the tips.

Dave

Edited By noba on 25/05/2013 22:39:50

Hi CB been camping for a couple of days so not finished fiu have done wings for the wildthing today

wild01.jpg

Have to say did not like the covering method for this model but wifey says it looks ok more likely it is me being fussy as i tend to be at least i took my time making sure the build is straight and true any problems flying will be down to the me on the sticks the servos/pushrods have been removed whilst covering just need fitting again shall finish the fuselage tomorrow

Edited By noba on 03/06/2013 19:32:49

Here is my wildthing mhs

wildfuz.jpg

Hitech minima rx/2 x s128 servos/2600mah battery pack/648 gr ready to fly turned out nose heavy so had to move the battery further back by placing a 3/4" foam block in front of the pack having allways built balsa models before this has been an experience for me with an epp/tape build if i ever do it again am sure i would do a better job of the finish and faster hopefully will have first flightl tomorrow if wind in right direction thanks to all for build tips

Dave

Flew the wildthing today was hoping the wind would be westerly as we are only a 20 min drive from baslow edge at curbar no luck was cloudy with wind ssw drove up there anyway and walked to the monument hoping wind would turn more to the south but it stayed ssw running across the slope it is not the best of sites even when wind is bang on had a launch or two anyway did need a bit more reflex but flew straight and level first time every time i guess the wind strength was changing between 5 - 10 mph just had to wait till i thought it was strongest before launching flying was slow and because the wind was of the slope the lift was nearly non existent would fly ok if i kept it tacking into the wind but turn left or right out of wind model would descend quickly have to say i was suprised how stable the wildthing was if it started to get twitchy whilst flying slow a touch of down to get the speed up soon had it stable again all flights were short but all in all really pleased got back home around 5oclock and guess what the sun came out then wind turned westerly will be up there again this week for sure

Anyone have the new wildthing mhs same as mine if so perhaps you would help me out flew yesterday on baslow edge i know the lift was good as i flew my phantom same day no bother ok setup on wild thing is as per manual weight 648grm 12grm under the stated weight elevator 10mm up/down aileron 20mm up/down c of g 72.5mm back from root leading edge at side of fuselaage manual says 70mm-75mm model is stable if facing into wind can ease back on elevator and model will just gain height still stable but try to fly across the slope either way and it is very twitchy tries to keep droping its wing with the turn have to go really easy on the sticks to get level again i have the feeling if i did not level the wings it would just keep rolling over and turn right into the slope the elevator is about the same very touchy slightest movement on the sticks and  it wants to either tuck under or flip over backwards have double checked everything the model is built true and square i even balanced the wings across the span the only thing i can come up with is to move the c of g forward but am reluctant to do so as it is set as the manual is there anything else i should try never had problems like this with my cygnus,pecker or obelix thanks in advance for any help

Dave

Edited By noba on 15/06/2013 13:27:56

Sounds to me like you' re slowing it down with all this up elevator, keep the speed on especially in lighter conditions. It is very sensitive in pitch and needs only small elevator movements, if your radio has expo that would help. Ailerons on the other hand can have plenty of wiggle. My mixer is 75/25 and it loops & bunts tightly enough yes

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phlil thanks for the reply but am not slowing it down with elevator if i use even the smallest amount of down to get the speed up it just goes down and i mean down with capitol D as though it wants to tuck under same with up elevator wants to flip over backwards when i mentioned putting in up elevator in last post i did so only to highlight the fact it is stable like this slowly pulling up elevator whilst facing into wind but even full up was ok model would just fly backwards over my head letting go of the elevator then returned it to flying forward think i might just have to move the c of g forward see how it goes

Edited By noba on 15/06/2013 14:12:58

Noba, I have the Fusion 46 and from the above I believe that you ordered the WT 46; is that correct?

My Fusion wing is the same as the WT and c of g you quote (72.5mm) didn't sound right. Fusion 46 is 100 - 106mm. Looked up the pdf manual for the WT 46 and it says 4.75 - 5" (119 - 125mm).

Surprised you can fly it as it would be a real handful. Also make sure the elevons are both lined up with the curve of the back of the wing. Battled to get mine right until an old hand go hold of it and sorted it out for me.

The wildthing i have is the newest version the mhs it has several updates/changes from other wildthings cannot remember them all as when talking to Alan Head he gives out so much info it is hard to take it all in but the main change is to the wing chord at the root now smaller than previous wildthings so hence the cog change manual for the new wildthing mhs gives cog as 70mm - 75 mm i think the ailerons have had a change in size as well but not 100% sure on that one i do remember Alan Head telling me the changes to the new model had made it more manouverable and able to recover faster after a hit.

Edited By noba on 16/06/2013 23:14:29

• 3 weeks later...

The issue of tail fin design started me thinking. The issue of overhang on the elevons also came up in discussions elsewhere in regard to the Wiesel which is similar to the Weasel.

Bought some correx and made up 2 to try. I have made a slot on my Fusion so the fin can be removed. The fins I made;

trial_fins.jpg

T1 is the same shape as the standard Fusion fin but sits further back and is in roughly the same poistion as the WT. To be honest I did not find anything significantly different in the behaviour. It might be a slower and more rigid in turns.

T2 is radical and I refer to it as the Shark fin. The V at the back lines up with the neutral elevon position The effect with this fin was dramatic. The plane flies faster and and has much more penetration. Turns are a bit sloppy and she tends to slide through like a car hanging its tail out. This I did expect because it is fairly low. I really enjoyed it as it is more sporty.

Rob

Edited By TigerOC on 03/07/2013 14:47:17