"Bison" Giveaway

A friend of mine is clearing out his loft, and I have been given a couple of gliders that were owned by his (now grown up) son. They are very old and damaged and so I have thrown away most of them but retained some servos and spare parts.

He has just given me this 'Bison' glider.

Bison Glider

It is foam wing and fuselage but is quite damaged; the foam fuselage is damaged just behind the trailing edge. I am sure it is quite easily repairable and with a bit of TLC will be back to good condition. But, as I have never indulged in gliders I really don't know what I would do with it. Hence, if anybody wants it and is prepared to collect from the South Manchester area, its yours.

Bison Glider 2

There are 2 more pictures in my album.

I am told the glider won some competitions in the past (20 years ago?) so someone may even recognise it. PM me if you want any more info. If I hear nothing I will sadly break it up for spares.

Tim

Thats the M-4 Bison of PSS guru Simon Cocker! Wheres that been hiding all these years then!

**LINK**

I know that Simon would love to have it back and make it like new - Tim can I PM you his details and ask you to get in touch with him, he still lives in the South Cheshire area so should easily be able to pick this up asap!

Phil

I am delighted to hear form someone who knows some of the history of this model. I dont know anything about it, but was told that it may have won some competitions.

I have PM ed you with my details, but will try to email Simon as well.

Regards

Tim

Thanks Tim,

Simon will be really pleased to get this airframe back after all those years.

The Bison was one of the first large scale PSS models back in the day, it really was something bespoke and different and you are right, it stole the show wherever it was flown in the early days of PSS. Things have moved on now, and Simons models (and PSS models in general) have got bigger and more sophisticated, but it will be a great stroll down memory lane to get this flight worthy again within our PSSA community.

So thanks for the post and thanks for enabling this - I will post here with photos of the model when it is flying again to close the loop. smiley

thanks chaps but Simons fairly local too and hes already made plans with Tim to pick this up tonight.

Dave - are you at Llandudno all weekend? Fancy supplying me with a few words write up for the website as Im still on 'paternity' leave and grounded by the bread knife from weekends away. sad

Dave,

Im just trying to spread the responsibility a bit - plus the more people 'in practice' of doing these short write ups the better, much better for the website to have a number of authors throughout the season.

So if you are up for supplying, Id be most grateful. Sue will no doubt supply some piccies in support.

cheers, and have a great weekend up there!

P

Tim,

Amazingly, having only picked the model up from you on Tuesday night in its tired old state, Simon actually repaired and succesfully flew the M-4 Bison again at last weekends PSSA meet up on the Great Orme, Llandudno. The airframe was patched up and a new Rx and Battery were fitted, but all the servos were the original, impressive! The attached photos were taken on Saturday by PSSA member Sue Lee.

bison 1.jpg

Above - Matt Jones launches the Bison!

It flew just as it did back in the 80s - Brilliantly! - able to hunt out the lift and soar with the birds where other PSS models often failed... this really is a smooth, graceful old bomber.

bison 2.jpg

Simon tells me he intends to tidy the airframe up back to its original condition, and that the Bison will now become a regular at all our PSSA meets to fly hand in hand with the trusty B-52 counterpart of similar proportions.

bison 3.jpg

Thanks once again Tim for posting the original picture on here and for helping us rekindle some PSS memories from yesteryear!!

Edited By Phil Cooke on 03/06/2013 22:52:02

It did indeed fly brilliantly - and stayed aloft easily where others were struggling as the lift was not the best. I had several long flights with her, and in the air, up high, it looked excellent with the bright sun glinting off the silver finish. Great stuff - pity I hadnt spotted this post earlier, as I would have had it !!

Excuse me?

I'm not sure if you are joking, as there is no winkie, but I can assure you they are most certainly genuine - I, and several other forumites were there to witness them being taken /actually taking them!

A couple of chaps from your very own flying club were also there on the Sunday

Edited By Tim Mackey on 05/06/2013 06:22:48

Stephen,

The launch shots have been 'over worked' in PS as the photos were taken in a heavy back lit situ.  The pilots and Bison were nearly completely black due to underexposure in the original photo - so Shadow and Highlights and Unsharp mask have generated the white halo effect you can see in an attempt to get at least some definition on the people and model - but I can assure you the photos are real - its just my editing thats duff for a quick edit photo for use on the forum!!

The inflight shots dont have this problem so I dont understand your comment about the birds - is their formation too precise? Thats completely natural, I promise you - you will notice they are out of focus relative to the subject matter (the Bison) showing relative movement.

Edited By Phil Cooke on 05/06/2013 17:21:12