Experiences with a 2m glider,

A few years ago i entered foolishly our climb and glide comp with my blizzard that thing could climb like a cat with a firework up its hoohaa after 20 seconds only i could see the model anymore, i still got walloped in the comp by proper thermal soaring models and a Weston cougar i even put a lighter smaller 3s pack in and i still got walloped

Posted by Lee Smalley on 05/06/2013 09:28:08:
Beb if you fly mode 1 you can have a go of my typhoon at Greenacres��

AH! Mode 1 ... I don't feel alone anymore!!

And the mention of Greenacres in the same line - that is where i learnt to fly (Mode 1 of course) back in 1979 with my Graingers Eagle (or Brick as it was known) and my 27 MHz green army looking Futaba set (still got it!)

Digressing from the subject I know but nice to know that there are still some Mode 1 people out there having just bought my new DX8 and spending the first 45 minutes converting it to the "right" mode - LOL!

The Bearded one is struggling to come to terms with the evidence that is before him, birds fly. soar and glide. but they do not wear a winged suit or have a forward or rear facing propulsion machine assisting them, they can stay aloft for hours on end. Gliding that is what it is called.

So where does he stand? (the bearded one) at the bar, maybe the queue at the fish and chip shop, but not atop the windy slope.

Posted by Mart49 on 05/06/2013 10:55:39:

Beb, from another forum, I stumbled across this, and thought of this thread...

**LINK**

Mart

(but then, I'm a P2K fan)

Thats my mate Roger, (Cliffhanger) from Swansea and the video was taken flying from The Crest at The Bwlch. He has since had a new semi symetrical wing made by foamwings.com and covered it in 3mil laminate, you can see it HERE.

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 05/06/2013 11:49:39:
Posted by Mart49 on 05/06/2013 10:55:39:

Beb, from another forum, I stumbled across this, and thought of this thread...

**LINK**

Mart

(but then, I'm a P2K fan)

Thats my mate Roger, (Cliffhanger) from Swansea and the video was taken flying from The Crest at The Bwlch. He has since had a new semi symetrical wing made by foamwings.com and covered it in 3mil laminate, you can see it HERE.

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

Steve, thats really good. Thanks for that

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/06/2013 11:58:06:

This thread came to mind following some comments in another thread.

I recently (Christmas time) took delivery of a Phoenix 2000 powered glider. Its my very first glider - yes, all these years and I've never owned a glider! smile o I've had a go on the sticks with other people's a few times - but not seriously.

But everyone was so enthusiastic about the P2000 and it was a very reasonable price, so I thought I'd give it go - see what the fuss is about. So, let's be clear,... I want to like this, but....

If you were to ask me what my first impressions are, then I'd have to say that in my view this model is a serious waste of a good receiver! I have had about twenty flights with it and frankly I just don't get it! I can't see what's so fantastic - I think its possibly the most boring aeroplane I have ever flown - it does nothing well as far I can tell.

Gliding - rubbish. My mate has a Weston Cougar converted to electric that would glide the pants of the Phoenix any day of the week - much lower sink rate and more positive control. I know of several Hypes that would embarrass it as well.

Aerobatics - Ha, don't make me laugh, it hurts! Its roll response is pathetically slow - ponderous would be a good description. Loops? well if you dive like a looney for speed (and I use the term "speed" in a very loose sense you understand) it might pull a decent sized loop - then again it might not. Oh- sure you can pull it "end over end" - but that's not my idea of a loop.

Energy management - what energy? It doesn't seem capable of accumulating very much!

Thermaling - well OK marginally interesting - and we have some very strong thermals where I fly off the AC units on the roof of the local hospital; so it goes up - hurrah! Then it comes down again - boo! What's that about? Do you just go up and down? Is that "it"?

I can't see the pleasure in climbing under motor power and then just gliding down again. Then climbing again,...and gliding down again. Then climb,....well - I'm sure you get the picture!

Now, I am fully prepared to be informed - this isn't intended as some sort of "getting at gliders", honestly - I genuinely want to know what it is that I'm missing. Because logic says I'm missing something at the moment. You see there are no glider pilots at my club - I'm "it". I have no one to ask, so I'm asking you. I recently even bought a book on soaring and thermaling to see if that would enlighten me. No joy so far.

So, here's your chance to convince me that there is more to gliding than just a mean spirited, undignified, scrabble around for bits of lift. I'm genuinely prepared to be convinced; because if I can't be shown something I'm missing I've got a much better home for that receiver!

BEB

That made me chuckle! Can't really argue with honesty can you.

In fairness some of those cheap foam gliders are of a standard to make you want to take up a different hobby altogether.

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 05/06/2013 00:25:42:

With that in mind, I have no great expectations of outstanding performance, so I'm happy to extract what I can within the parameters set by the model. If I can exceed those expectations, then so much the better.

Having said that last night, conditions looked pretty promising this afternoon, lots of sunshine and 24C so it was out with the P2k, armed with a Spekky altimeter and a Winged Shadow thermal detector, working through the telemetry to 'beep' when the model is in lift.

A couple of climbs to about 450ft gave me about 20 mins of stooging about in the slightly breezy conditions; then I had a third climb to 420ft. After a wide circuit the model seemed to 'climb a step' and then it was off. Tight circling and it was only going in one direction - upwards!....smile p

I had a smallish white cloud overhead with blue sky all around. Fortunately, placing the model between me and the cloud kept it in lift and it was more clearly visible but I could only take the odd glance down at the Tx to check the height.

To be continued/......

Cont'd/....

800 then 900ft quickly ticked up and at one stage, a vibrating alarm went off. I couldn't think for the life of me what it meant - but checking this evening, I'd set the altimeter to notify me if I reached 1000ft! embarrassed

Onwards and upwards, I was enjoying this ....1400, then 1550ft ticked up and the model was looking a bit small but very well-defined under the cloud. I've attached black and blue panels to the underside of the wings to aid visibility, fortunately, and they certainly help.

A quick excursion into the blue as I checked the altimeter and I'd lost it... smile o....but a tight turn revealed it again, so it was back under the cloud - phew!

At about this ime, a couple of buzzards joined in the fun and it was so satisfying to see them well below me for once.....smile

Up to 1900ft and I'm beginning to get a bit concerned - it now looked very small indeed and was showing no signs of topping-out - so discretion prevailed and I applied full crow......and nothing happened - it just kept on climbing....concern mounting....smile o

The quickest of glances and i see the figures on the screen start with a 2, so i point the model north, against the breeze, and push in some down elevator. Reluctantly it starts to move and then tracks northwards in a dead straight line, heading away from the lift. After a few hundred yards I reverse its track, keeping in the down elevator - and it gradually grew in size.

Daft, I know, but it reminded me of the Space Shuttle Atlantis when I saw it return to Cape Canaveral some years ago, tracking across a deep blue sky!teeth 2

A couple more zig-zags and it was down to about 500ft, so I cleaned up the wing and brought it straight in for a fast (for a P2k!), whooshing, celebratory pass.........smile p

That'll do me, I thought - I'd been up for about 40 mins - so round the circuit and in to land on the strip, feeling well-chuffed. The screen showed the maximum altitude at 2029ft smile d - well above what I'd thought would be a comfortable height to see a 2m model.

I've set the flight logging on the DX8 to record the altimeter readings. This will be a graph to cherish , I thought....then I looked down to see an empty space where the memory card should be......I'd forgotten to replace it before I went out.....embarrassedembarrassed

Idiot! teeth 2

The keycam on the wing had shut down after 31 mins, so I didn't get the full flight, but here's a still frame, taken from the video, of my part of the world at getting on for 2000ft or thereabouts:

la vayssiere (1024x619).jpg

Anyway, BEB, I'm sure I can't convince you but that is what it's about - those red-letter days when you hook a boomer and get a big buzz from the experience!

Try that with a PZ Extra! wink 2 teeth 2

Pete

Your slightly missing the point Pete most people can find lift on days like that, try it when things are not quite as good, my old sailplanes international osprey would wipe the floor with it, the original poster was getting at was that the model seemed to be okay at most things but master of naff all, i got 40 mins out of my blizzard on a similar day, the problem was everyone else got in excess of an hour, don't build the model up to be anything else than what it is, a cheap all round glider you can fling around a bit.

I have a Gentle Lady, Typhoon, X Models Whisoper and a Phoenix. 4 very different models with differing price tags but all 2m. I paid 30 or so quid for my phoenix, it is excellent value, mine is set up with a 4 servo wing and setup in full glider mode on my mpx tx, the cg has been tweaked with numerous dive tests, the decalage has also been tweaked somewhat. No fan up front flies purely as a sloper. Excellent value and ARF, but keep in mind the price when comparing with other 2m ships!

I don't think I'm missing the point, Lee. The way I see it, BEB is wondering what all the fuss is about in respect of gliding per se and the P2000 just happens to be the model he chose to give it a go.

I know it's not particularly good at anything, but for the price it can give you some great entertainment without busting the bank, and I'm not trying to say it's anything more than that. I'm certainly not 'building the model up to be anything else than what it is, a cheap all round glider you can fling around a bit'. I'd agree with the second part of that sentence, though...that's what it is.

I'll agree that yesterday was one of those days when anything would have thermalled - even a Pzone Extra smile

Yes, most days you scratch around, going downhill but you grab what thermal crumbs are available and settle for that. If I was looking for out-and-out performance I wouldn't have bought the P2000 or any of the other leccy gliders in my fleet, TBH - I just wanted something I can bring out in fair weather and have a bit of fun with.

I'm under no illusions - none of my current leccy gliders have anything remotely like the performance of my sailplanes of yesteryear and they'll be way below the ability of the current crop of expensive thermallers. I'd love one of the current 3m thermallers but can't justify it - so I'll settle for the P2000 and similar models for nowsmile

Pete

Posted by Tim Mackey on 03/06/2013 13:47:58:

Pah! - Ive offerd the proffessor a meet up at the Orne several times Olly - but he's always refused.

Obviously, glider flying is just not in this man's blood cheeky

Seriously though Dave, gliding is a different arm to this varied hobby of ours, and of course, its NOT just about the flying as you well know. Its also about the many types of gliders, and their very varied assortment of pilots! Almost every single one I have ever met - and thats a few, are great guys ( and gals ) and the chats and commaderie (spelling?), not to mention the fantastic views and surroundings we get when up the Orme on a good day are second to none. The weekends PSS meet was a good example - Saturday we all flew almost every model we had with us, and the early evening shift of wind direction and increased velocity saw all the usual suspects trucking along at a great rate of knots! Huge 30lb Canberra, equally large B52 bomber, 2 x BAe hawks, Saab Gripen, and an F16 and a large F18 all flying formations together in the dying sunset, was a great sortie!! Sunday was a very calm day, where we had to resort to the electric assist models, including a few Phoenix models too, but the sunshine, food and drink, together with great company and lots of laughs made for a great time in its own way. Late afternoon brought a nice gentle 9MPH Northerly breeze which saw myself and another pilot or two exploiting the super lift right out over the sea towards Anglesey, flying huge circuits whilst sitting on a smooth rock overlooking a lovely blue sky and seascape...... chatting and generally putting the worlds to right.

Beautiful day, great to be out in it, and arrived home tired, sunburnt, and hungry - but very happy.

Come on Dave, give it a try, you will love it I know.

We Mods have wondered about drugging BEB & taking him up the Great Orme whilst he's unconcious.....a bit like the 'A' team used to do with BA Baracus when they needed to get him on an aeroplane.....

As soon as he wakes up a transmitter would be thrust into his hands whilst someone shouts "Launching!!"...I fear it may be the only way we can do it.....

I believe it can take industrial quantities of Theakstons finest to render the good professor unconcious & I'm not sure we could afford it so if you do want to help us in this noble endeavour please donate whatever you can afford via the RCM&E offices.

Please mark your envelopes "I Want To Help Get BEB Up The Orme" so we can avoid the editors "borrowing" the donations for their Christmas Fund......teeth 2

Lol Steve - I think someone needs to give BEB a 'lift' to 'Greenacres' but when he falls asleep in the car (amazing what a sleeping potion in a bottle of juice will do) the route taken ends up on the Orme. Obviously Greenacres the following day....

You will need a decoy van filled with i.c models, this is the van in which he will be a passenger, let him choose the music and give him a chocolate or two along the way, (he should be happy with a bit of a grin thinking of the fun to be had)

Van two filled with silent flying machines is awaiting at flying spot.

As van 1 leaves behind the usual tree lined and flat flying areas known to BEB he will be asking questions, give him another chocolate to keep him quiet, and ask him to find a fictitious channel on the van's radio, that should keep him occupied for a while, as the van approaches mountainous areas he may be a bit agitated and may even be trying to open the door, so make sure child safety lock is actuated, assure him you heard about this good site just over the hill.

When the van arrives atop the hilly slope he will have no choice but to watch or join in.smiley

See, it would be easy if we just had to get Timbo somewhere he was reluctant to go - just tell him there's a sticky bun van on site:

Now with BEB it's not so easy - I like the Theakston's idea but I reckon there'll be more chance if he's told he's off to a Symposium of Extremely Learned Non-Geeky Aerodynamicists meeting to discuss the 'Theory and Practice in the Art of Non-Avian Flight' - try stopping him then!....teeth 2

Pete

BEB - I went up the Orme last night for the first time myself last night - with a 2m glider as it happens!!

Never been there before and obviously didn't find quite the right place to start with as i didn't find anyone else up there (but there was it appears!) so drove around and found a place i felt safe for my first slope flight - on the road to the church with a gentle slope ahead of me.

As my first attempt at slope flying I didnt have the nerve to "throw all my kit over a cliff at the sea" so tried this location out - and had a great time - hardly any wind last night but my first flight was 40 minutes with my £75 RTF ST Models ASW28 and all on one battery pack (so i didn't need the engine!!) - only landed as i got two text messages and assumed I had missed the wife phoning me so i landed to call her back - but when i checked it was T Mobile saying I needed to buy a package if i wanted to use internet abroad - didn't know Wales was so far - LOL!

So as the motor had loads of power left I threw her back off and had another 25 minutes.

So BEB, it is actually fun on the Orme and even when there is almost no wind you can find a nice spot to enjoy at least an hour with a 2m cheap foamie on a single battery pack

Lets hope next time i am in the area I can meet up with the lads and do it properly and in the right place - my composite Discus stayed in the boot but would have loved to Maiden her properly!