Experiences with a 2m glider,

Posted by Olly P on 07/06/2013 14:37:25:

For future ref mark, the tank track car park is probably a good place to start. If you have a look in the 1/2 june pss thread Timbo has written some good directions to get there, avoiding the toll....

Unless its a NE like last night, I was flying the big slope overlooking the pier, was supposed to meet up with Mark but had lost my phone, had a good play with a Whisper in next to no wind (2M span!!) This site does involve a bit of a walk but the lift is always amazing better than the main tank track slope most of the time.

Posted by Mark Stringer on 07/06/2013 14:01:25:

)

only landed as i got two text messages and assumed I had missed the wife phoning me so i landed to call her back - but when i checked it was T Mobile saying I needed to buy a package if i wanted to use internet abroad - didn't know Wales was so far - LOL!

You have to be careful on the Orme, you can pick up the Isle of Man and pick up roaming charges!!!

Ok. So as I said earlier, we were having a climb and glide efficiency competition at our club tonight and my P2000 found itself up against a Thermic Palio (2.5m).

The results: Palio - Power on for 11.9s - glide time of 3:27mins

P2000- Power on for 11.3s - glide time of 7:43mins!

P2000 won hands down!! Not bad !!

Oh - The P2000 won the cometition!!!!

wink

Don't tell anyone Beb but your no longer the only glider guider in our club, I'll be brave and bring the Ogra EP from Wingsmaker to Greenacres with me and you can have a go. Its not that aerobatic, thermals ok, good fun generally and is darn ugly. I have threatened to go to the Orme myself, perhaps a club outing? Linds

How about if some of us were to sponsor BEB for Children in Need appeal to spend a day flying gliders on the Orme or elswhere as appropriate? He just might feel 'obliged' to give it a go? It's a kind of moral blackmail but it must have a chance? wink 2

Terry

Edited By Terry Walters on 12/06/2013 11:16:05

Lee - not sure that is what David said at all.....

I think he said that under the conditions for the day, with the pilots taking part, his P2000, piloted by him, out lasted the other competitors in duration of flight from the short power period.

This is simply a statement of what the p2000 was capable of, not that other gliders(aircraft), piloted by other people would not have preformed better, or indeed in different conditions the same may have applied.

Posted by Terry Walters on 12/06/2013 11:13:17:

How about if some of us were to sponsor BEB for Children in Need appeal to spend a day flying gliders on the Orme or elswhere as appropriate? He just might feel 'obliged' to give it a go? It's a kind of moral blackmail but it must have a chance? wink 2

Terry

I still think my idea is a better one Terry........send us your donations now.....teeth 2

Terry

AARGH!!!

Stop inviting haters onto the hillsides!

Before you know it Whittaker will be turning out with a Gl*der!

Oh wait.............

Posted by Slopetrashuk on 12/06/2013 11:18:17:

Terry

AARGH!!!

Stop inviting haters onto the hillsides!

Before you know it Whittaker will be turning out with a Gl*der!

Oh wait.............

Yeessss, he's heading soon to a hillside near you sir wink 2

Posted by Olly P on 12/06/2013 11:16:02:

Lee - not sure that is what David said at all.....

I think he said that under the conditions for the day, with the pilots taking part, his P2000, piloted by him, out lasted the other competitors in duration of flight from the short power period.

This is simply a statement of what the p2000 was capable of, not that other gliders(aircraft), piloted by other people would not have preformed better, or indeed in different conditions the same may have applied.

Thats Exactly what I was saying Olly - Thanks

The pilot of the Palio is a good glider pilot but in the conditions that were present on the day, the P2000 was able to penetrate further out quicker and get into the better lift zone! Had it not been so breezy and had there been thermal activity, then I am under no disallusion that the Palio would have been up for hours!!!

Each glider is good at what it does.

Its just that on this occasion, in those conditions, the P2000 was in fact the more suitable airframe!!

As I have already mentioned earlier in the thread, I accept that "the P2000, IS what it is" (basically a low cost model that would be outflown by a heck of a lot of other models!)

Maybe it wasa bit of luck this time, Maybe piloting skills helped... Who knows!!

wink

If the pilot was any good even with a bit of wind he still would beat you and the p2000, i have flown the p2000 many times its very very average maybe if you have only flown this type of cheap glider you would think its the bees knees. Who knows eh !!

ps thanks for letting me know you removed my post

Dont know who removed your post Lee. Only Admins and Mods have that priveledge!!!!

As my earlier post,.... I have never claimed the P2000 to anything other than a cheap (low cost) general glider.

I have flown quite a few different types!!

( The p2000 - on this occasion - was able to penetrate better into the headwind conditions past the very turbulent air and get to the clean lift area. The Palio appeared to slow considerably trying to penetrate the turbulance and as such lost substantial amount of height, resulting in having to be brought back to the field to ensure landing)

To clarify: I, and everyone else, knows that the P2000 is a low budget model. We know that it is not the "Bees Knees"... Maybe its small toe though!!

We are aware that there is a plethora of other gliders that can out perform it with ease. This was never the issue or arguement!

Maybe we should try and return to the original aim of the thread from BEB's opening post!!

wink

Looks like plans are afoot to drag him kicking and screaming to the top of a hill shortly!!!!

[poor BEB]!!!!!

im pretty sure i know how the forum works david but thanks for the info anyway, the slight problem is that yours and others posts can give the misleading impression that this glider is what BEB thought it was going to be, some people without much experience of other models come and give glowing reports ect, leading to the impression such as that obtained by BEB, so when they purchase, or in BEBs case get given, the model, they are rather dissapointed, and dissalusioned.

that is why mags like RCM+E use reviewers of the caliber like Simon Cocker and Andy Ellison, their experience sorts through the chuff and you get a genuine appraisal even considering the price.

BEB should get his bottom up to the Orme to try his P2000 and then he can have a go of other stuff as well, maybe some proper models as well!!

ps pick a nice day, if he is anything like whittaker, he will not like the cold

I have literally just ordered a Phoenix2000 on behalf of my kids as my fathers day gift gift so interesting to see the mixed reviews and comments on this thread. I am hoping that it will be a nice gentle introduction to 2m gliders and from what I have seen on YouTube it looks to be just that for a very reasonable price. Fingers crossed!

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 13/06/2013 23:54:43

Lighten up, Lee - I think you're probably about the only forumite taking this thread seriously! teeth 2

It was started by BEB as a light-hearted 'Whassit all about, then?' and it's given us the chance to enlighten the unenlightened.....and hopefully back him into the corner known as The Great Orme wink 2

I don't think anyone's ever said, or even suggested, that the P2000 is the bee's knees - that would be daft - but for £50 it's a good-value chuckabout - nothing more, nothing less....

Pete

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 13/06/2013 23:54:19:

I have literally just ordered a Phoenix2000 on behalf of my kids as my fathers day gift gift so interesting to see the mixed reviews and comments on this thread. I am hoping that it will be a nice gentle introduction to 2m gliders and from what I have seen on YouTube it looks to be just that for a very reasonable price. Fingers crossed!

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 13/06/2013 23:54:43

That is why I have bought the Phoenix 2000, and I have not been disappointed. I was never under any misapprehension about what I was buying. I have no intention of becoming a full time glider guider, I just wanted something to fly that was different to my WOT 4, Extra 300, T28 etc. It also takes me back to where I came in to electric flight with A Robbe glider fitted with a can motor. Its cheap fun. No more, no less.