The Cheek of Some Folk..........

So a bloke bothers to phone you up, rather than just going down there and flying? He is probably someone who didn't realise that some sites are paid for, and lets face it why should he know about the BMFA? After all they hardly have a huge presence on-line which is how a lot of people get into the hobby now.I presume you offered him membership of your club, or advised him of other places/clubs he could fly. I shouldn't worry to much about him using your field in my experience people who ask permission first don't just ignore it when they are told no.

Some folks are amazing! I wonder why he thinks that he should enjoy facilities provided at someone else's expense without having to contribute to that expense?

Perhaps you should ask if - when he's at your field - you could perhaps avail yourself of the facilities of his house, afterall he wouldn't be using them then? wink 2

BEB

Giving him the benefit of doubt if he never heard of the BMFA he may just ignorant of how an RC club works. He could be a beginner not wanting to fly with others thinking he hid not want to crash with an audience. Maybe he just needs some education maybe you could invite him to a club day and try to persuade him to become a new member?

He did ask first. At my last club people tried to use our site for all sorts of things including driving lesions rc flying by none members amongst others. I am sure (but had no proof) that while flying alone on 35 meg i was shot down by one of these none members.

Fair points from Bearair and Phil there I think. He's probably just not thinking and doesn't realise clubs don't just run themselves nor do club facilities just spring out of the air! Lots of people don't think about the cost of things that are really obvious to us - such as strip leveling, providing some basic security, grass cutting etc. just to take a few examples.

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/06/2013 13:28:55:

Some folks are amazing! I wonder why he thinks that he should enjoy facilities provided at someone else's expense without having to contribute to that expense?

Perhaps you should ask if - when he's at your field - you could perhaps avail yourself of the facilities of his house, afterall he wouldn't be using them then? wink 2

BEB

Err perhaps because he didnt understand that those facilaties were at others expense? There are lots of flying sites around the country that are free to use. I can even think of one in Somerset where the farmer is happy to allow his field to be used by individuals as long as they do not form a club!

I think Bearair was basing his comments on your initial posts which didn't explain the full details of your conversation with this man. Initially it read to me like it could be a simple lack of understanding, but your last post obviously clarifies the actual situation.

Most definitely I would accept him at "my "site, you see this may be a difficult concept to understand but there is no club where I fly! Imagine that no rules, no committee, no compulsory BMFA membership, no compulsory insurance. And get this, we welcome other modellers to fly there! For free! Next week there is a guy coming from Dresden, just to fly with us and a guy from North Devon (who spends more time there than I do!) Last week I was flying with a guy and his son from Leeds and last night with a guy from Kent. And do you know what? I gave them a link for other flying sites in Cornwall (West Cornwall Slopers). And when I go power flying, that's free as well! And when I go to WSM I fly power models at Breen beach and that is a council registered site and that is free as well! And everybody is welcome! And when I was in a Club at East Huntspill we paid the farmer for a field we let at least one OAP fly for free there! And we helped him out and gave him equipment. We even paid his BMFA subs for him. And I do not think the worst of people, and I don't put "for a look" in speech marks to suggest they might be doing more than that!

Finally you comment "need" to now about the BMFA. But you seemed to think that it was some sort of crime, the fact he did not know about the BMFA. As I said there is a very poor presence on the Internet, there Website is a disgrace (but I understand they are aware of it and looking to improve) I am not aware of one forum they advertise on(but as Manny Williamson stated to me, he does not like forums. great that, in this modern day and age our "development " officer does not like forums!).

So Percy not only would your "man whose name I forgot" be most welcome to fly at "my"site, but so would you!

Roger

PS I actually pay to be a NT member because I think if you can afford it, its good to pay for things others can use as well. And the National Trust gives us lots of beautiful flying sites for nothing.

Edited By Bearair on 03/06/2013 19:06:05

Edited By Bearair on 03/06/2013 19:07:12

In the days when we had to use three sites in rotation we had one on an abandoned airffield. We had to phone up before we went up to clear it with the land owner.

Then we found that a group were using it every Sunday morning with no permission or anything. They were told by the owner that only one could use it at a time and had to phone first. I think they ignored that.

It was that as much as anything that inspired us to rent a proper field. Glad we did.

Oh, and I can see our field from my bedroom and I have a pair of very, very powerful binocluars on my chest of drawers and always have a quick glance on the way through to my workrom next door. I can also see it from the dinib room and have more binocualrs there. Takes me six minutes by road to get there.

Posted by Percy Verance on 03/06/2013 20:27:29:

So Bearair, you don't like clubs, rules, insurance or the BMFA. Fine, I have absolutely no problem with any of that. And I guess the upshot is you won't be flying where I fly, and neither will I be flying where you fly. I'd feel distinctly uneasy knowing I was flying among uninsured pilots.

As you choose to be a paying National Trust member, I choose to be a paying BMFA member. I also belonged to the SMAE for decades, which was the forerunner of the BMFA.

Isn't it great to have the choice?

No Percy you are completely wrong on all points. I have been in several model flying clubs and still am in one even though its a hundred and fifty miles away.I believe in just the correct amount of rules for a required situation and always abide by them in any model club I have been a member of( in fact ive sometimes neen known as a stickler for rules in a couple of clubs).I have always had model insurance for forty years and as I have stated on many occasions would not fly the models I fly without it. I also choose to be a member of the BMFA despite not needing to or getting the same rights as you do from them. And I too was a member of the SMAE from 1973 when it was only required for some club members to be an affiliated club. That you choose not to fly with me at my free site is your loss, it really is very beautiful and I could assure you that you and anyone else would get a very warm wecome. Its even been mentioned in Quiet Flight how friendly the locals are!

So to copy a bit of your writings No,no a thousand nos!

Its great to have choice,

Its great for others to make other choices.

Its great to have a open and generous spirt and not think ill of others until you know the facts!!!

Roger

• 1 month later...

There are a wide range of people who like to fly, or potentially like the idea of flying. When I started I found a local club, learnt about basics, BMFA required insurance etc. It was an excellent starting point, always experienced members who wanted to help with everything from setting up the plane, flying it, Passing your A exam. etc

I also fly on some common land, open to joe public, it has a club but most fliers are not members. A lot of people turn up there with a nice new plane, chuck them off and then head off with a black bag to find and bring the bits back. Usually departing having not said a single word in their whole time there.

It is a very friendly site, but many new [or potential] pilots seem embaressed to talk to experienced fliers, and to fly when they're watching. It really is a case of selling the sport, the club/friends/helpers and the "we were all newcomers at one stage mate".