DofE build help

Ashley Warnes 1

I am doing my Gold DofE and am planning to build a RC Plane for my skills section. I am looking at doing a balsa plane from plans. As it will be my first plane, I was wondering if anyone could offer me advice on choosing the plans to buying the wood and electronics. I have a budget of around £100 but may be able to push it to £150 ( as I have no idea of the prices of the electronics)

Thanks

Ashley

Advert

are you planning on flying it once built , if you have no experience of flying an rc model , then you really need to be looking towards a high wing trainer, maybe a kit which will supply you with all necessary parts to complete the build , you will still need covering , glues , and electronics , ie , receiver esc , motor , batteries if you are planning for electric propulsion , or receiver , flight pack , and an ic engine if you are planning to go that route. bear in mind you'll also need a transmitter too , if you havent already got one .

there will be guys much more knowledgble than me will come along ashley and give you some advice as to what kits they think will be suitable , please take their advice wink also if you've never flown before i highly recommend getting someone to set up fly and trim your model for you , otherwise theres a very good chance you will convert your newly built model back to kit form very quickly crook

all the best and good luck thumbs up

You dont need many tools to make an RC plane of moderate size. That's the beauty of balsa. One of the first things to learn in aeromodelling is how to make do with the tools to hand. Most households will have some pins, a screwdriver or two, a pair of pliers etc maybe a midget hacksaw. Then you need a scalpel (Swann Morton Retractaway is best ) and perhaps a fretsaw,or coping saw or another fine toothed saw for any shaped ply parts. Proper aeromodelling T pins are better than dressmaking pins though. Construct a woodworkers 'Bench Hook' from a few bits of scrap wood.

Dont buy a building board, search for an offcut of plasterboard about 4 ft by 2 ft ( second lesson in aeromodelling is using both & imperial ! ) Builders throw plasterboard offcuts bigger than this in skips. Get a few smaller bits too for tailplanes etc. Must be dead flat though.

Hi Ashley,

Have you thought of building a free flight type of model or an RC boat ? There are many questions to ask before you commit not only a lot of time but also plenty of cash into RC planes. If you are part of an ATC squadron the wing or civ com may be people to talk to regarding extra info of possible help with funding.

Rob

Thnaks for the advice, I will look at the "First Step"

as for tools, my dad used to work on his tools so we have a shed full of them, shouldn't have a problem there.

as for the power source, I think I will make it electric as it is apparently cheaper and easier.

In september, I am planning on going to see a relative, who flies rc planes, to trim the plane.

once again thanks to all that posted