hobbyking B17

Paul  Hyde

131.jpg

Got my B17 from Hobbyking last month bargain £215 inc postage,comes with everything you need apart from lipos/reciever, consists of electric retracts,flaps,aileron,rudder and elevator oh and flashing lights.

Doesn't take long to put together then off to the patch, i fly her on 2x 2200mah 20c. First flight only needed couple clicks aileron/elevator and she's so steady flies like a dream couldn't of asked for a better maiden flight.

However started getting problems after 3rd flight with 1 retract woudn't go up which is being sorted by HK, after a few more flights one of the blades come off in flight (3 blade props) as im climbing away, shut throttle straight away turned back into wind, just about pulled the nose up on landing due to not enough airspeed resulted in a heavy landing ripped gear out of pots and stripped aileron servo gear, sorted that out myself when i got home.

Tuck it to Walsall Funfly last week and second flight in noticed a grey plume of smoke come from the inboard nacelle so landed and retrieved, the back of the motor's windings were black and a bit smelly so back to HK later that day and now in the processes of sorting, apart from these niggling issues she's a good bird to fly smiley

Advert

Tony - try the compatability mode button - next to the address bar.

Sounds like a good aircraft but with some problems. I wonder how she would fly on some 3 blade folders as she might be good for PSS.

So 2 Questions:

1) how much does she weigh?

2) how would she take belly landings?

Olly

Hi she weighs a little over 6lbs, as for belly landings she's made of foam and the paintwork comes off easily suppose you could glue plastic film under the belly?

i've wired the motors as 2 inboard work together and 2 outboard motors together batterys are in parallel 3cell 2200mah 20cs

134.jpg

133.jpg

Edited By Paul Hyde on 07/06/2013 19:46:11

• 3 years later...

I had just come across this post as I was looking for the battery placement in the newer hobbyking b17 1875mm, and also the cg for this bird. I plan to run this on two 3s 2200mha lipo's, but was wondering how the battery configuration is. Is it in line, one on top of the other???. There is no explanation in the manual. Also the in the book the cg is 38-45 cm from front of nose cone, but with two lipo's in its miles out. Any help would be appreciated .

Not wishing to be cynical here - some HK stuff is absolutely fantastic value for money, and that's a lot of very nice looking aeroplane for £215 - but to have

- retracts fail

- prop blade come off, leading to damage in the resulting forced landing, and then

- motor smoking

after just a few flights doesn't sound very impressive. Fully representative of some of the operational problems experienced by the crews in WW2 no doubt so I guess it can't be faulted for that aspect of "true to scale" wink- but hardly what I'd want to be experiencing with my new purchase down at the patch

Hi Paul, what's the CG on these, also any chance of a picture of the battery lay out. To get the proper CG I will have to put 6oz into the nose in the Hobbyking B17.

Edited By Ronos on 09/10/2016 20:49:26

Edited By Ronos on 09/10/2016 20:50:12