Motor on a switch: Why?

Hi Glider people: Quick question:

Ive got a Hitec Aurora 9 radio, and Ideally want crow brakes and proportional throttle.

- why do some folks have motors on a switch?

- is the theory that you leave the throttle stick free for crow brakes and just use wide open throttle for a few seconds ? (I presume flicking the switch to wide open throttle draws a lot of amps compared to a gradual increase from a proprtional throttle?, perhaps i can find a delay setting on the radio or program the ESC for a slower start-up?

- Is it possible to use the left hand flap side slider to control the crow brakes, have flap setting crontrolled by a three position switch (using flight modes to change the camber settings, as i do on my mouldies), and to retain motor control on the proportional throttle stick OR to have the crow on the throttle stick and motor control using the flap side slider ?

I've flown plenty of gliders but after getting caught out once I, busting up the fuz on my typhoon mouldie, got myself a nice motor glider. for days when the lift aint so good.

Advert

Twin - the other way to think about doing it might be to have the motor/crow brake switchover on a 3 way switch:

Pos1: motor control on throttle stick (power mode)

Pos2: thorttle stick idle (motor off, no crow brakes available)

Pos3: Crow brakes on throttle stick

I have never had my motor on a switch, and have used the thumb sliders for brakes on RHS and flaps on LHS (mode 1 flier). I am contemplating the switch over method above on some of my future builds though....

Not a Hitec user so can't answer directly but my Fuby has an "Airbrake" function which when activated changes the funtion of the proportional throttle stick to a proportional brake stick so advancing the stick in throttle mode increases the speed of the motor......flick a switch & the movement of the throttle stick deploys the CROW brakes....

Maybe the Hitec has something similar?

Perversely on my Futaba manual this function is described in the ACRO section rather than the GLIDER section......go figure as they say....crook

Quick answer...the purpose of the motor on the majority of gliders is as a launch device only and therefore it's either launching the model ( and launch is pretty descriptive if you watch a competitive type going up in less than 20 seconds to 200 meters!) Thereafter the motor isn't used again during the flight. Most esc's are equipped with a soft start option of one sort or another to avoid excessive strain on the motor/gearbox. This frees up the throttle stick for other functions needing proportional control.

Naturally, if the glider in question doesn't need proportional control of flaps/brakes/crow etc then the throttle stick can be allocated to just that!

I've tried both ways and have settled on brakes on a switch which works fine for me.

Pay's yer money and takes yer pick!! wink

Cheers, Pete

I think it may depend where you are coming from, if you are coming from a glider with crow on the throttle stick or a powered model with throttle on the stick. As I mainly use crow or spoilers on a glider my preference is to have crow on the sticks and throttle on a slider.

While I could program the throttle stick to do both I prefer to keep them separate.

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 24/06/2013 11:37:59:

Not a Hitec user so can't answer directly but my Fuby has an "Airbrake" function which when activated changes the funtion of the proportional throttle stick to a proportional brake stick so advancing the stick in throttle mode increases the speed of the motor......flick a switch & the movement of the throttle stick deploys the CROW brakes....

Maybe the Hitec has something similar?

Perversely on my Futaba manual this function is described in the ACRO section rather than the GLIDER section......go figure as they say....crook

'Cause gliders don't have motors. wink 2

Edited By PatMc on 24/06/2013 15:55:10

hmm..you lot got me thinking..so..

..after a bit of thought and consideration of the postings ive decided that I will go with the crow activated by a switch to preset throws, and the throttle on the throttle stick as its a fairly powerful setup for a light model. I'll have the crow deployment slowed down so its not an instant response, (and potentially then an instant change in pitch) that way i can see how the glider is responding and react if needs be (would then adjust elevator compensation accordingly). Presume slowing down the crow deployment should be fairly straightforward on an Aurora 9.

- I'd like to have control of what happens when I open up the throttle. (at least for the first few flights), Crow on a switch worries me less as ill be fairly conservative on the throws (no need for 90 degrees of down flap), particularly as its a fairly light and "floaty" model not a fully ballasted mouldie with a higher wing loading.

Edited By twinstar on 24/06/2013 20:51:11

I have an A9 and use the throttle channel for motor on J3 (mode 2 throttle) and CROW on the same stick, I use different flight conditions on a 3 position switch and a P-mix. In either Launch or Flight modes the throttle is active and in Landing mode, the motor is disabled and CROW is active. The motor is driven through one of the AUX channels and slaved to J3 in the Launch and Flight modes but not in Landing mode. Just make sure that the flight conditions are in Single not in Combined.

If you need it pm me and I'll email you the .set file I use on my P2000.

I'm not sure i could make a landing like that ever, but is a good point well made with a video.

Andy, your solution seems right on ! im still figuring out the various ways of doing things in the A9 it took me ages to figure out all the programming for my typhoon as its a big leap in programming capability from the basic box I had before. I've also forgotten some of what it'll do as ive not flown for a while (second baby). Id never thought of using flight modes to disable the motor and crow accordingly. id love to get a copy of the file to see your setup, PM to follow.

- int forums brilliant ! smiley