testors mccoy 049

thunderstreak.keith

Hi all. bought this neat little engine from a junk shop for £2.50(he wanted a fiver but i said it was siezed and worth spares only) so i soaked it for 24 hrs in cellulose and freed it up. it has a nice compression with no slop so seems pretty good. whats missing please? should there be a tank attached to the back as with cox engines? or can i run a fuel line somewhere from an external tank? also what % nitro did these run on? i run my cox engines on 10%. help appreciated many thanks keith

testors 008.jpg

testors 007.jpg

testors 006.jpg

testors 003.jpg

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 30/06/2013 00:34:12

Advert

This is basically the same as the Wen Mac.

It never had a tank fitted. You can run the fuel line to the spraybar nipple as with and engine.

It seems to have a recoil starter fitted. Wind the prop back half a trun or a bit more and release it.

Unfortunately Glow heads are very hard to find for these engines

My KK Hurricane control line model came fitted with this engine, turning a three bladed plastic prop. The little spring starter worked well and saves cut fingers. The engine was screwed to the black plastic tank which in turn was retained by being wedged between the two fuz halfs. The dummy Merlin engine exhausts were part of the tank moulding and protruded through the fuz sides and so locked it all in place. I used to run it on Nitrex 15 too.

The 'carburettor' has a simple spray bar assembly. One side has a mixture screw/needle. The other has the nipple for the fuel line. I think I can see the fuel nipple on the 1st pic, the brass bit just below the air intake. These small open exhaust engines make far more noise than their size would suggest, or at least my little diesels do.

Lucky find. Now build a Mini Tyro or similar for it smile d

Ian

Hi This is my Modified engine .

Testor .049

The spring starter had broken so i made a hub and flick start it , i also drilled and tapped the head to take a normal glow plug .

It runs very well , it is noisy and is not as power full as the cox engines, but that is just how they where .

It still works great and is useful for single channel models , however i don't use it anymore due to the noise .

Testor .049

Testor .049

U-L-049.jpg

In my youth i did a bit of control line flying .

The back plate of my McCoy engine does not have a hole or vet tube as yours does . 

Keep em flying Dept ,

Edited By Stephen Jones on 29/06/2013 10:28:09

I too have one of these - though I haven't run it for probably about 30 years!

All good answers so far, though I recall there was always sone "discussion" about Nitrex 15 and whether or not it really contained 15% nitromethane - or perhaps we were just meant to think that it did!

Mine was modified like Stephen's. The spring starter broke and I too drilled and I tapped the head for a conventional plug. I used it in a couple of control-line models, it produced plenty of noise but not necessarily a huge amount of power.

Have fun!

Here's a couple of pages from my 1973(ish) Keil Kraft Handbook, showing the plastic Hurricane that used this engine and the page showing the engine itself. I notice that the engine is actually supplied complete with plastic tank/mounting.

KK c/l Hurricane

kkhbkmccoy.jpg

I'm not entirely sure why the 15-year old me found it necessary to annotate the page with the address of the manufacturers of the engine! dont know

percy, i went off radio in the 80s when i kept crashing the damn things. thats why i like free flight now although i am much too old to chase the buggers. was thinking of going back to control line hence the purchase of this engine. i think i have a plan of a 24" mustang somewhere. i just like building these days especially the old small warbirds, you can add as much (or little) scale detail as you want and at the end of the day you have a lovely painted scale model you can hang anywhere in the house (iff your not married) and suddenly decide on a whim you want to go out and fly .

Flying a model that size will mean very short lines. You will be spinning round like a top. Even in our heyday our control line club member sused to dread seeing someone arrive with a KK Huricane. We knew that we would be dizzy in no time.

I can get dizzy with a Peacemaker on 50 foot lines these days but I do have an answer

millers tales 73 001.jpg

Edited By Peter Miller on 29/06/2013 18:57:10

Memories.

I had one of those KK Hurricanes. For some reason it was bright red. It flew like a reluctant brick.

I still have the engine from it downstairs. It powered several home design c/l flying wings. At least they flew a bit better than the hurrricane.

Plummet