Identification of old model aeroplane

Andy Irving

Advert

Lead?

I am pretty sure that lead would not have been used in the paint.

I am sure some will correct me if I am wrong, I thought the paints wee essentially cellulosic/ dope based with a pigment.

I think the lead was there in household paint not as a colourant, more to do with providing protective propeties.

Andy,

Try some cellulose thinners on the "Paint" If it dissolves, what I have done succesfully is to lay some loo paper or kitchen towel onto the surface, soak this in thinners, then cover it with a plastic bag. This allows the thinner to soften the paint and tissue or silk or nylon before it evaporates. Stinks but it works.

Charles

Thanks for that Charles,

I have managed to clean up two sides already(with some minor damage) with sandpaper and a scraper to remove some of the loose stuff. I'm sure if not for the tennis I would have got further along.

I've cleaned out the interior of remnant electrical parts and the old fuel tank. I have come across a bit of a question mark though shown in the photos located underneath at the back of the cockpit. Is it possible this plane was controlled by a control line? I cant think of any other reason for this part. The hook is ceased so it doesn't move but turning the wire underneath, left or right lifts the cable up onto the sides of the red part. There was also a twisted broken elastic band on the hook that went in the direction of the tail.

And the progress so far...

Kind regards,

Andy

What you have there is a tow-hook. The glider would have been towed up like a kite on 100 yards or so of fishing line with a key-ring on the end that would pull on the hook, then as it got to the top of the line the ring on the line would have slipped off the hook leaving the model flying free.

As it would have been free-flight, it would have been trimmed to fly in a circle once off the line to keep it reasonably close to the launch point, but of course when being towed up it would need to go in a straight line so various ways were devised to hold the rudder straight on tow using the line tension, then when released a rubber band would pull the rudder over to give the circling flight.

I can't see what the two wires in the second photo do, are they connected to anything or do they just hold the canopy on?

Hello Andy,

from the description you have given,it would appear to be the remains of a single-channel rubber driven escapement system,as used in the days before propo gear became available at an affordable price.These escapements were common until,I would guess,about the 1960's,possibly until the early '70's. I can't see much from your photographs,but the turning handle may well be an 'Elmic' winder,used to wind the rubber loop required to drive the escapement.Be nice to see some pictures in more detail.......................Mal

Edited By mal brewer on 08/07/2013 08:55:53

Andy if you open this LINK then click "Single Channel" & have look at the demonstration photo. You'll find in the closest layout, bottom right & also in the furthest layout top left there are examples of the red plastic part. As Mal says they are Elmic winders for the escapment rubber.

BTW I very much doubt if the Chief would have been towed by the Electra. There are too many reasons that this would not have been a practicle proposition. The Chief would most likely have been hand towed. There's details on the plan showing how to tow it up with a small auto rudder activating on release then a de-thermaliser popping the tail up after a few minutes of flight.
I think it would befinitely be worthwhile refurbing the Chief & converting it to lightweight RC.

These are photos of mine taken a few years ago during and after refurb.

KeilKraft Chief

Keilkraft  Chief

A bit like Trigger's broom, only the wings are original parts from the kit I built around 1965. It's currently on my list of old models to be overhauled & re-covered.

Edited By PatMc on 08/07/2013 10:23:06

If it's of help to anyone, I have copies of the original Chief instructions in both PDF & Word .doc format. Because they are embeded jpegs from scans the files are about 1MB.
I can't post them on here but if anyone wants a copy PM me your email & say which format you prefer.

I forgot to mention in my last post the hooks in Andy's second photo should have 2 corresponding ones at the forward cabin former. The valve Rx would have been suspended on elastic bands between the 4 hooks for vibration protection.

Yes there are two corresponding hooks at the front end which have now been removed (but everything is saved).

I now face a dilema. Do I restore this model to how it was with original single channel circuitry(and elastic bands) or continue with my previous assesment of using servos to modernise the control?

Judging by this artical this plane has potentially been around for a long time. **LINK**

It seems that there maybe two camps. Being into electronics in general I would be happy to experiment with valve stuff. However. I only obtained this model to have a go at RC and for the interest of my boys.

What do I do?

Mal: Is there a particular picture you want more detail on. Most bits have been removed. There was no valve circuitry in the plane when I got it. The only remnants were a battery box, a switch on the side and a 2 core wire(speaker like) that went to the rear of the plane.

Hi Andy,

no,there is no particular part I was looking for,I just thought it would be interesting to see if I was correct in my deductions.The equipment I described,such as the escapement and winder,could well have been available in the 1950's,well escapements certainly were,not so sure about the 'Elmic' winder, so it all seems to tie in with the paperwork you have found. Very interesting indeed,the models are well worth sympathetic restoration,and please don't throw away any of the boxes or paperwork,even if you don't want them,somebody will be very grateful to obtain them for their vintage collection........................Mal

Andy, as it is in the photos the stringered section of the nose in front of the windscreen is a removable, sideways sliding, hatch. There's a battery, mini 27MHz Rx & a pair of mini servos in there with an indirect pull-pull arrangement for rudder & elevators. The sides of the nose area are sheeted internaly, a balsa floor for the Rx & battery has been added plus some thin ply to take the servos.
Because I tried to make the control linkages as unobtrusive as possible there is a little more complication than necessary & for the sake of brevity I've left out some of the detail in my description.

In it's present form, I've only flown it as a light wind slope soarer. TBH I haven't been entirely happy with it's control response. When I refurb it I'll increase the rudder area & probably change the control arrangement.

I have reservations, with respect to the project.

Are you Andy refurbishing the model with a particular vision?

I doubt that you are interested in replicating the equipment that was used in the era it comes from, or are you? If so you need this link

The model as flown in that era is almost certainly rigged to be more radio assist, than RC as undertaken today. Is it replicating that way of operating? There are groups which do fly that type pattern, such as Sam, there are various groups around the world.

Is it the whole kit and caboodle. It is certainly not main stream today, but if that is what is floating your boat, I wish you the best.