Well folks, I'm afraid it's a day of mixed news in the Jocasta flight test centre! I managed to sneak off to the flying field while SWMBO was out, had a quick fly with my Jemima model (just to make sure I could still use my thumbs) and then readied Jocasta for her big moment.... Hmmm. What's this? Rudder doing odd things... Bit of a wiggle of the sticks.... Still doing odd things. So - haunted by the words of Graham's editorial this month, and erring on the side of caution, I decided not to fly. Just not worth it. Closer inspection reveals what appears to be stripped gears in the rudder servo, although I have yet to get to the bottom of it. I did, however, decide that no harm could come from doing a few taxi runs and can report the following...

No shortage of power, if acceleration from a standing start is considered a valid way of assessing these things.

Runs very straight along the ground with no tendency to swerve when the tail lifts.

A couple of briefs hops into the air showed that, at first sight, the thrust lines and CG are not a million miles out. Clearly, further tests are required but if it was way off then it would have been obvious from the outset.

I'll swap the servo and report further but today's session has instilled confidence for the "proper" maiden.

Jim.

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, good news!

Jocasta flew three times today without incident. All went well and exactly as expected - very stable and relaxing. As you would expect, it flies a lot like Jemima. Noticeably heavier and less floaty (which is as I had intended) but certainly not overweight and with that generous wing area it still flies slowly. Slow flight remains fully controllable right to the stall - which gives plenty of warning before it happens. Loads of spare power which is encouraging for the floatplane conversion I have planned, in fact I don't think I ever went above about two thirds throttle, even for take off.

Ground handling is a piece of cake - the very wide track undercarriage clearly helping on that front, although I think I will modify the steering tailwheel. At the moment the tailwheel is connected directly to the rudder and then to the servo, so any shock loads will be transmitted straight to the servo gears. In due course I will swap this arrangement for the type that use a pair of springs to transfer the loads.

Overall I must admit to feeling pretty chuffed with this one!

Now I have a steam engine to build (my other shed based pastime) and then I'll be gearing up to build a Dart Kitten, for which I have a set of laser cut parts sitting quietly in a corner....

Jim.

Good to hear the maiden was a success Jim, she's a nice looking model, look forward to seeing Jocosta on her floats too!

What size is your Dart Kitten, is it your own design/who is the designer, I have one on my build list & would like to fit a flat twin, and did you have access to laser to cut the parts or were they cut by a company(SLEC?).

Edited By Glenn Stratton on 25/04/2014 08:11:31

Thanks Glenn. The Kitten is my own design, 60" span for electric power although it could easily be adapted for ic. I had the parts cut by Slec after I sent them my CAD drawings. If you look at my other posts you should be able to find the beginning of my build blog - I'm writing this on my phone and not sure how to post a link to it.
Jim.

• 3 months later...

Dear Jim, I made your Jemima as a 74 year old who has returned to this hobby and had one issue on my flying field which is a rough farmers field. On take off and landing she tended to nose over so I am fitting larger wheels. I fancy having a go at the Jocasta which looks better able to cope.

Do SLEC do a laser cut kit, which would help mu old eyes with better accuracy?

Hi Monty,

Well what an honour that you are building another of my designs - I'm very pleased to learn that Jemima didn't put you off forever! If you want to help with the nosing over tendency then you could make the rear undercarriage legs slightly longer than shown on the plan - this will have the effect of moving the wheels further forward - and fit bigger wheels (Jocasta has four inch wheels but could take much bigger ones without looking too silly). Having said that, the prototype Jocasta copes well with less than perfect grass strips so you should find the ground handling is already improved compared with Jemima.

As for laser cut parts, I'm sure it will not be beyond the realms of possibility to get a set made for you. I don't know whether MHS are planning on offering sets of cut parts or not. If they are then obviously you will be able to get them there but if not then I am sure I can arrange to send my CAD files to SLEC on your behalf for them to produce sets (they may even still have my original files tucked away on their computer somewhere, in which case the task becomes even easier). I have no idea how MHS decide whether or not to produce cut parts for any particular design, although I imagine that if enough people ask for them then that is bound to help! Once I know one way or the other I'll let you know and we can proceed from there.

If you liked building Jemima you should find that Jocasta is very similar. A little more complicated by virtue of having a sheeted leading edge and ailerons, but nothing that you will find difficult. If you had trouble with the rear fuselage cracking on assembly when building Jemima then you will be pleased to know that I have altered the design at this point to remove the problem entirely with Jocasta.

Best wishes,

Jim.

Hi me again, have tried the 4in wheels on my Jemima bit better but going to try 5inch. Field is rough with a lot of field drains, We tried a ten ton roller awhile ago, helped a bit but needs more work.

Glad to see it looks like a kit will be available as soon as I see it will order it and have ago. I do actually enjoy the making and setting up. At my age I must be a masochist.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Monty. The longer nose on Jocasta has the twin benefit of making battery access easier and reducing the need for ballast to achieve the CG. With my first Jemima I had to remove the wing to change battery packs. Switching to a hatch in the nose made it quicker to swap but a bit more fiddly due to the short nose. You should find Jocasta is much improved in this area.

Hi Jim,

I was on Holiday in the Uk and came across your plans in the RCM&E. I would like to build he model and I am also interested in getting Laser cut parts. Do you know when a decision will be made as to where and when he parts will be manufactured?

Best Wishes from Austria,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

to David Ashby, could you put a post and link on this thread when the laser cut parts are ready, My fingers are getting itchy. My age doesn't matter the thought of making something again has me drooling and gives a purpose in life, necessary at 70 plus. "Er indoors" is desperate to get me back in the shed out of her way.

Yes I know the Feeling. I am also waiting for the lser cut parts.

Vintage 1948, I just hope that when (if) I reach your vintage the iching is still there.

Posted by monty2 on 06/09/2014 17:19:19:

to David Ashby, could you put a post and link on this thread when the laser cut parts are ready, My fingers are getting itchy. My age doesn't matter the thought of making something again has me drooling and gives a purpose in life, necessary at 70 plus. "Er indoors" is desperate to get me back in the shed out of her way.

Edited By Paul Clay on 07/09/2014 08:43:39

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 06/09/2014 16:30:53:

A set of parts is in hand (RCME Plans Service) and should be a few weeks away.

Hi David,

I hope I am looking in the right place. Plese send me a link to the RCM&E Plans Service where I can find the Jocasta cut parts. Thanks in advance.

Paul

Edited By Paul Clay on 15/09/2014 14:51:02