Plan enlargement - where to go?

Advert

Posted by Doug Ireland on 20/07/2013 19:28:28:

The problem with just enlarging a drawing is all the lines get thicker, making building that bit more difficult.

Yes, that's true, although its certainly not a showstopper provided you take a little thought and care with the build - and Percy strikes me as a thoughtful and careful sort of chap wink

Percy, can we ask what the model is?

Staples the office suppliers can do resizing. They charge about £4 for an A1 copy irrespective of any resizing. Give them a try. I've used them a couple of times but for 1:1 copies. I asked as I want to do a Wot 3 (75% Wot 4) sometime and have a plan winkand was told no problem to either enlarge or shrink.

Ian

Posted by Percy Verance on 22/07/2013 20:54:04:

Well, I just received a quote today from one digital printing company. They quoted £120!!!!!

After picking myself up off the floor, I've now decided to redraw them myself..................

Hi Percy. If you're not in a rush I will do them for you. Probably take me about a week to sort out and the charge ? Well you get a copy, I get a copy and you get your original back. Does that sound like a good deal ?

I do this for a few people. Restoring and tidying up old plans is part of my hobby and rescaling is no problem. The only restriction is my printer, which means I might have to split the wing into two halves at 100ins.

PM me if you want me to have a look at it for you.

kevinb

Hi folks -

I used Staples to copy and enlarge some plans. They were very reasonable. I think they can do up to A0 - so not sure if that is large enough.

I also got a couple of reduced plans in A3 and A4 size to pin on the wall and give an overview to refer to when the bigh plan is pined to your board covered in balsa and tools!

Doug, you are certainly more precise than I ever amembarrassed.

But following the same general thrust, in all probability there will be errors in the small drawing, where enlarging by 50% will likewise increase the error. Now for me, not an issue, for a lot of modellers it is.

I do know that others have found print shops a cheap method of getting enlarged prints. My experiences have been that coming along with a DWG file, will cost you something like £20 for the first plot to film, although I may have had 2 Ao sheets. Thereafter, I seem to remember that prints from the plots were about £5 each. Some art type print shops were ridiculous with there pricing structures. So I would guess that a architects/engineer and general trades print shop is what is wanted.

In a similar way, I have cut up drawings and rearranged the elements to fit them to Ao or there largest format. This seems to work fine from both a quality and price perspective. None have been model applications, but that should not matter one jot.

From a cost perspective it seems cheaper to get what you want from the model trade. Cheaper still and often better, yes, draw it yourself, as you are considering. The drawing then can be made as accurate or not, as you wish.

Anotger suggestion would be Falvon Aviation they will even rework the drawing for cinstruction and materials uf you wish and then they could even supply thr laser cut parts. It all depends how much you want them or yourself to input into it. I know you probably know about them already PV this is just more for those not aware. Good thread btw.